Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Seti @ home screensaver?

Seti @ home screensaver?
Ernie
Mar 26, 2001, 10:12 AM

I installed Seti @ home but it does not launch as a screensaver. It launches as an application. Is there a way to make it come up as the screensaver? I'm probably missing something obvious here.

Thanks !

Rand
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2001, 10:18 AM

It IS an application. In OS9 it is also an application that launches at a certain time (what a ScreenSaver is) except you couldn't see the app launching, and it was invisible, unlike in OSX. There you can just see it.

MickeyM
Mar 30, 2001, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Ernie:
I installed Seti @ home but it does not launch as a screensaver. It launches as an application. Is there a way to make it come up as the screensaver? I'm probably missing something obvious here.

Thanks !
I've found that the SETI software runs extremely slowly under X. Slower than under Classic and even Classic is slower than under 9.0.4. Very disappointing. I'd expected to get more speed under X since I have a dual processor Mac.

[email protected]

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2001, 09:30 PM

The versions of Seti that run on Mac OS X if run on a dual processor machine will seem to take twice as long to do a work unit. This is because the time is actually doubled...so in the real world 1 second goes by but since you have two cpus Seti adds two seconds to the timer. So divide the time you see Seti says it is taking by 2 and that is your actual work unit time.

[This message has been edited by spicyjeff (edited 03-30-2001).]

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2001, 09:55 PM

The non-graphical version that is actually for Darwin (the underpinnings of OS X) is faster than the screen saver version - even faster than the screen saver under 9.1. However, it runs continually in the background once started and may impact perceived system performance. I posted instructions on how to install it here over on the MacFixIt forum.

------------------

Br David
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2001, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the instructions. I loaded the Darwin version of SETI and it definitely seems to be faster so far. The "beta" graphical user version under OS-X was no faster than the same version (3.0.3) under OS-9.1, even with dual processors. In fact, if you count cpu hours, it was about half the speed. Hopefully this will improve when they release a "final" version of SETI, and Apple gets some of the kinks out of OS-X. In the meantime I will run the Darwin version. It isn't pretty, but it is fast.

------------------
The only certainty in life is change. Embrace it!
The only certainty in life is change. Embrace it!

Ernie  (op)
Apr 3, 2001, 08:47 AM

Sorry, I guess I am missing the obvious here. The Seti @ home for OS X just runs all the time correct? It does not run as a 'screensaver' (coming up after a certain amount of time)?

Feeling dumb...

Thanks

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2001, 05:30 PM

The graphical version of the Seti@home screen saver for OSX also seems to be "on" all the time (at least on my machine.) Open up a terminal and run "top". S@H Screen Saver seems to always be using between 1 and 3pc of the processor time.

------------------
10:00 conoc� a Apple. 10:30 trabaj� con Apple. Apple Computer�
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Forum Links
Forum Rules