Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > [ANN] Exposition, the easiest way to change your desktop

[ANN] Exposition, the easiest way to change your desktop
Jan Van Boghout
Aug 29, 2003, 12:55 PM

OK, I made this app for my personal use, to solve the annoying cycle of changing desktop pics:
- find nice pic
- open System Prefs
- drag pic to System Prefs

Then if you find a new nice pic 5 minutes later you have to open the Prefs again, etc

Anyway, Exposition does it this way:
- press hotkey to show the window
- drag pic to window

Here are some shots of it in action:

Download link: http://www.macrabbit.com/exposition/...ion.app.tar.gz

Use at your own risk and if you find it useful, tell me what improvements it could see etc. One other thing I had in mind is auto-converting of image clipboard content to a file, so you could see a pic in Safari for example, press the hotkey, drag to the right positioning mode and Exposition makes a file from that image and applies it.

sandsl
Senior User
Aug 29, 2003, 03:18 PM

Very nice!
Luke

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 01:14 AM

Surprised by the lack of responses but it's a very cool piece of software. Some problems: it doesn't run in the background... even when I told Login Items to hide it. It always asks for a key command. It doesn't let me put in a function key so I had to stick with Command-Space. It appears that the Desktop preference pane doesn't acknowledge the change... So that causes problems. Perhaps changing a preference pane. Anyways other than that, solid app!

Jan Van Boghout  (op)
Aug 31, 2003, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Surprised by the lack of responses but it's a very cool piece of software. Some problems: it doesn't run in the background... even when I told Login Items to hide it. It always asks for a key command. It doesn't let me put in a function key so I had to stick with Command-Space. It appears that the Desktop preference pane doesn't acknowledge the change... So that causes problems. Perhaps changing a preference pane. Anyways other than that, solid app!
I'll fix all that, but I just wanted to poll for interest first

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2003, 12:49 PM

WOW! Great stuff...I will download and test it today

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

phillryu
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 02:28 PM

Cool, but the opacity of the images needs to be higher. Apple's are full white, not as transparent as yours. It looks dim with a dark background. And I'd like an option to hide the main window on startup. (And possibly a 'simple' mode with only changing the whole background as a whole? Aka, only the first icon, sized like the rest of the system notifications?) Cool stuff!

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2003, 02:35 PM

Multiple Monitor support would be a great addition.

-mpm

phillryu
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 04:09 PM

I'd also like options to have it autio hide after so many seconds, and no dock menu. Is that possible? This could be a nice addition to deskshade.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 1, 2003, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
My compliments on an elegant design. It isn't something I'd be using (I almost never change desktop pictures), but for those who change them often, it's quite nice.

I have a few minor suggestions:

1) Except for the first launch, skip showing the dialog that lets you set the command key. It's nice to show it the first time people run the program, so that they are aware of the key to hit, but after that, I think it should not be shown when the app is launched

2) For the overlay window, perhaps you should follow Apple's cues fully, and make the white parts of the image fully opaque; have a look at how Apple does it for the volume keys, for instance. It makes it much more aesthetically pleasing

3) You need a cool application icon.

All in all, a refreshingly simple concept. Nice job.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 1, 2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
I'd also like options to have it autio hide after so many seconds, and no dock menu. Is that possible? This could be a nice addition to deskshade.
Yes, if can have the icon not show up in the Dock just by setting NSUIElement to 1 in his info.plist
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2003, 03:23 AM

When's the next version of CSS edit (with Web Core previewing) arriving ??!>

Jan Van Boghout  (op)
Sep 2, 2003, 03:48 AM

OK, one post to reply them all

Regarding Exposition, I'll be adding some stuff in the next few days, right now CSSEdit is gobbling up most of my time.

About the transparent look, that was done so it provides feedback when you drag on one of the items. But I think I'll add an option to just show crop, and that would be white like the volume indicators.

And moki, I already made a nice icon

Gee4orce, check out the build at http://www.macrabbit.com/CSSEdit.app.tgz. I put that in the news in June but I didn't put it on Versiontracker. And to do it now is a bit silly, because the next version (major update) is around the corner. It must be done before the end of September

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2003, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:

Gee4orce, check out the build at http://www.macrabbit.com/CSSEdit.app.tgz. I put that in the news in June but I didn't put it on Versiontracker. And to do it now is a bit silly, because the next version (major update) is around the corner. It must be done before the end of September
It doesn't accept my licence code
we don't have time to stop for gas

Jan Van Boghout  (op)
Sep 2, 2003, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
It doesn't accept my licence code
Just sent you a mail, but why does this belong in this thread

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2003, 12:12 PM

Exposition is nice, it would be great if future versions allowed the ability to drag from safari, et cetera, like you mentioned. Other than the background-app request (maybe in the System Preferences like X-Tunes), I don't have any suggestion, I like it

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2003, 04:59 PM

Are you still working on this?

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2004, 05:40 PM

Any news

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Any news
Another almost year old thread brought back form the dead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules