Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Uses..

Macbook Uses..
peterauch21
Nov 2, 2006, 03:33 PM

What are the different things that you guys and gals use your macbooks for? I'm new to the Mac and OS X scene. So I am just curious as to what different types of cool things you guys and gals have been able to do on your macbook. So far I've used it to make a few videos in iMovie, hold my music library in iTunes, and digital photo editing with iPhoto. What other neat things have you been able to do and with what apps? Are there any free picture editing programs similar to MS Paint? Thanks for your input!!

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 04:57 PM

I use iTunes for music constantly. I use Adium for chatting constantly. I use Safari for browsing the web constantly. I use Word to do homework. I used Photoshop to do minor touch ups to pictures for my little part-time job at the school newspaper. I use Transmission as a Bittorrent client. I use VLC to play alot of non-music media (video files, mostly). I use iWeb and BBEdit to make my web site for school/the heckof it. I use Mail for email constantly. I use iPhoto to catalog my pictures. I use the DVD player to play DVDs. I use Mactracker to occasionally look up stuff for this forum. i use TextEdit to take notes at school. There are a few other programs that I use, but that stuff is illegal.

SVass
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 05:14 PM

For picture editing, use Graphic Converter
sam

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2006, 06:58 PM

my most recent creative use was in teaching a beginner swing lesson.

(that's me.)

i used the remote control to set the music through itunes -- which made my class flow MUCH more professionally than most dance teachers, who have to constantly run over to the stereo -- and i videotaped the whole class through imovie/isight. later i created an ten-minute movie boiled down from the full recording (click above to see it) and will soon post still photos taken with my digital camera to flickr through flickrexport for iphoto.

remote control, isight, imovie, iphoto -- and probably next time i'll use front row, too, for a better visual element -- all helped me create a complete, professional learning experience for my students.

and they say macs are overpriced!

y.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2006, 10:54 PM

don't have a macbook so i can't answer that part of your post, but i know what you're going through. new to macs huh? you get a macbook,try a few things, like what you can do but you always want more. it's a feeling there's no real solution for, but yet we keep looking. much better than being frustrated that nothing is working right. you guys that have macbooks, keep the projects coming. it's fascinating.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

peterauch21  (op)
Nov 3, 2006, 11:06 AM

That's cool Yakov. I'll have to DL that Graphic Converter program and test it out. I got GIMP and it's a bit more then I want heh. I'm using Audim too. Thanks for your input guys! Noone else uses their macbook? =D

gregfripp
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 11:22 AM

You already HAVE Graphic Converter in Applications. It came with your mac.

peterauch21  (op)
Nov 3, 2006, 11:49 AM

Heh, I knew that.. I was just um.. testing you. Like I said, I'm still getting used to a Mac. Thanks for the help!

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by gregfripp View Post
You already HAVE Graphic Converter in Applications. It came with your mac.
I don't. Am I missing something?

hadocon
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 02:58 PM

I use my MacBook to do all of my projects at the MIT Media Laboratory. Recently I have made two new types of televisions: first TV is a TV that knows when you are watching it... If you are not watching it it will automatically pause the video. The second TV is a childrens TV that allows them to easily skip scary and "mushy" bits by covering their eyes.

I use Max/MSP to program all this stuff. find it here: http://www.cycling74.com/
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2006, 09:07 AM

allowing them to cover their eyes... as opposed to what? chaining their hands down while they watch?

Forum Links
Forum Rules