Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Clickable Dock Areas

Clickable Dock Areas
Jan Van Boghout
Oct 23, 2002, 08:49 AM

Wouldn't it be super-cool if you could define areas of an app's Dock icon to react to a different action?

For example, iTunes would have a play button and maybe others in its Dock icon, so you wouldn't need to show it or open its menu. I think it would just be tons faster�

Of course apps would need the ability to turn it off and customize the place, etc� But I just wish Apple provided this ability to devs.

What do you guys think of it?

eno
Banned
Oct 23, 2002, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
Sorry. This would break the inviolable Fitt's Law. We can't have that.

(sarcasm)

Seriously: no thanks. That's what Dock menus are for. 'Twould be madness. Better to have Dock icons bring the app in question to the front.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 10:14 AM

It does seem like it would add extra confusion to an already overloaded GUI element. For comprehensibility's sake, let's not.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

lookmark
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 10:39 AM

[B]Wouldn't it be super-cool if you could define areas of an app's Dock icon to react to a different action?

For example, iTunes would have a play button and maybe others in its Dock icon, so you wouldn't need to show it or open its menu. I think it would just be tons faster�
It's a neat idea, but there's just not enough room in one Dock tile for all of those buttons, especially since you can make the Dock as small or large as you want.

It would be an interesting hack, though.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 07:41 PM

I think that's what application windows are for, aren't they?

-

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2002, 08:23 PM

I think this would be useful for launching different apps which have a relationship, ie. say I have one icon for office with word, powerpoint, excel and entourage all quarter size icons within the one dock item, this would save me a lot of space on the dock.

Wouldn't it be super-cool if you could define areas of an app's Dock icon to react to a different action?

Of course apps would need the ability to turn it off and customize the place, etc� But I just wish Apple provided this ability to devs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules