Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Titlebar inconsistencies (?)

Titlebar inconsistencies (?)
bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2003, 08:18 PM

I'm building this theme with a 1600 pixel wide texture in the titlebar under the assumption that it would just display from left to right, but it seems that Carbon stretches the pixm content while Cocoa tiles it. Why these inconsistencies exist in Aqua (and why carbon and cocoa apps are drawn differently) I have no idea. Any of you master themers have any clue as to whether there is some workaround for getting the titlebar pixm contents to tile in Aqua, or am I **** out of luck? Won't kill me if I can't do it, but I really prefer the tiled draw to the stretched. Thanks

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 2, 2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
I'm building this theme with a 1600 pixel wide texture in the titlebar under the assumption that it would just display from left to right, but it seems that Carbon stretches the pixm content while Cocoa tiles it. Why these inconsistencies exist in Aqua (and why carbon and cocoa apps are drawn differently) I have no idea. Any of you master themers have any clue as to whether there is some workaround for getting the titlebar pixm contents to tile in Aqua, or am I **** out of luck? Won't kill me if I can't do it, but I really prefer the tiled draw to the stretched. Thanks
Are you using normal sized endcaps and the stretch as the 1600 px part? I never noticed that carbon and cocoa treated titlebars differently.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2003, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
Are you using normal sized endcaps and the stretch as the 1600 px part? I never noticed that carbon and cocoa treated titlebars differently.
Yeah, the titlebar stretch is 1600 pixels wide... and the contents 'stretch' (squish horizontally) in the finder and other Carbon applications, but they 'tile' (reveal horizontally) in Cocoa apps. Bizarre. Now that I think about it, I seem to remember actually reading that this was the case at Desktopper.net some time ago. I am digging this metal window gradient and texture combo thing, though

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jan 3, 2003, 08:30 AM

Sorry to say so, but I think you are out of luck..! This inconsistency appeared first in 10.2 and is probably due to attempts by Apple to speed up the GUI.
I agree that it would be awsome if it is was possible to have a fill that stretched between the two caps (as in carbon apps)... That would allow for some cool titlebars..

Here is desktopper.net's explenation
(translated with babel fish, the images and movies speak for themselves though)
( Last edited by bOOzo; Jan 3, 2003 at 09:04 AM. )

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 09:41 AM

Maybe you aren't out of luck after all. They probably changed something in the layo resource, if you could compare the 10.1 one to the 10.2 one you could probably find it and change it.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jan 3, 2003, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
Maybe you aren't out of luck after all. They probably changed something in the layo resource, if you could compare the 10.1 one to the 10.2 one you could probably find it and change it.
That might be right, but then it would only be possible to make the carbon apps tile the pattern instead of stretch it, not the other way around (make cocoa apps stretch them).

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
That might be right, but then it would only be possible to make the carbon apps tile the pattern instead of stretch it, not the other way around (make cocoa apps stretch them).
Yeah - but that's exactly what I want, tiling as opposed to stretching. I'm on it! What's the best way to alter the Layo resources? Resedit or Resourcer?... I think the last time I used resourcer the theme template was for OS9. I guess I'm off to Desktopper...

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 04:03 PM

IM me and I'll see if I can help.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules