Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA�

[ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA� (Page 10)
cloudaj
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 07:50 PM

they are coming out with an audion 4, and i have heard it will be a total rewrite in cocoa. First part comes directly from audion (email), second im not sure where that came from, if it was a forum or panic support.

And that remote is SO awesome. That net beacon thing is the most awesome thing ive seen...if your konfabulator remote is even more than this...fine, ill buy konfabulator just for the remote

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by cloudaj:
they are coming out with an audion 4, and i have heard it will be a total rewrite in cocoa. First part comes directly from audion (email), second im not sure where that came from, if it was a forum or panic support.

And that remote is SO awesome. That net beacon thing is the most awesome thing ive seen...if your konfabulator remote is even more than this...fine, ill buy konfabulator just for the remote
Ya I did email Panic a few months ago too complaining about not being able to play my AACs from the iTMS... They told me they were working on 4 also but didn't say anything about it being rewritten.
I just hope the playlists will be something closer to the iTunes playlists. What I would wish for is that it could share the iTunes Library/Playlists so when you add or remove songs in ether app they'd be the same. And the iPod sync needs to be more like iTunes too.

I also think I'll buy Konfab though for this remote if it's anything near as cool as the T3 WM skin.
click one

vipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2003, 08:03 PM

I wonder if this is the "other" software they're coming out along with the other one they are currently beta testing.

Mike S.
Senior User
Nov 30, 2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Well if I did know something you didn't I couldn't just come right out and say it now could I? Not that I know anything you don't.
Sure you could!

Anything you say here is just between you and me, really

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2003, 08:57 PM

I'm dying for a standalone MP3 player on the Mac that ties into iTunes playlists - if Audion4 does this, I'll start making Audion skins again.

You should check out the animated net beacon on the BBX Mercury Audion skin for a sense of what the animated LEDs in Omega are like... got that pulsing LED thing down to a science.

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 09:18 PM

Mike S, does he REALLY have to spell it out for you

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 09:24 PM

I'm dying for a standalone MP3 player on the Mac that ties into iTunes playlists - if Audion4 does this, I'll start making Audion skins again.

You should check out the animated net beacon on the BBX Mercury Audion skin for a sense of what the animated LEDs in Omega are like... got that pulsing LED thing down to a science.
Think we should kindly request something like that from Panic? lol
click one

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by york28:
Sounds good to me too. But please, watch the hype. Props to Max for kicking out an awesome theme recently with absolutely no hype at all. Not even a mention. That's the way to go I think.
this was on sept 23!

holy @#$%^ man. this is a trend bbx?

eFX
Nov 30, 2003, 11:18 PM

everything comes to he who waits.

The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2003, 12:09 PM

Real Soon Now, folks.... *yawn*

I really can't wait to see what this thing looks like. The hype makes it seem really great, but then again I was wanting Shinobi so bad too - they released it and I was totlaly underwhelmed...
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2003, 02:34 PM

this thread went 60+ hours without hype! just when you feel like you have a bead on whats constant in this changing world of ours....

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 03:31 PM

Bill was working on adding a polycarbonic tetraluminum polished toaster to the theme.. he's busy.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

york28
Senior User
Dec 3, 2003, 03:45 PM

No way - I need them to keep people happy (and off my back) in the 6 month stretches between my own releases
Not to be a dick, but the easiest way to "keep people off your back" is refraining from getting everyone excited about something that isn't slated to be released for a long time (as in: 3+ months).

That said, you're talented, Mr. BBX. It's fun to show people what you're working on, and I suppose it's not your fault that people are hoping for christ to return with the release of Omega. But I find it funny how ape-sh!t everyone goes when someone that's created one theme (and a lot of other super-cool stuff, granted, but one theme) posts a freaking splash screen.

I'm not trying to burst any bubbles here. If you are excited about the imminent(?) release of Omega, then good for you. And I wish you luck, BBX, with the successful completion of what I'm sure will be an excellent guiKit creation. If anyone needs me, I'll be the lone soul in the corner using a dlta version of guiPod because I like to use my iBook effeciently, in the present.

(I have commited a sin in posting to this thread and bumping it to the top again. Please forgive me.)
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Dec 3, 2003, 05:35 PM

Not to be a dick, but the easiest way to "keep people off your back" is refraining from getting everyone excited about something that isn't slated to be released for a long time (as in: 3+ months).
I have to agree with this. When I saw the original teaser, I was thinking "Okay, sweet a really decent theme is coming out really soon." Here we are about 3 months later, and still nothing. I understand it's a system wide GUI kit, but you (Bill) could have waited until you were a lot closer to completion before starting a massive hype.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 05:37 PM

I know this isn't much but... I think the mac theme and extras have been completed weeks ago, but he's waiting for the PC ports and stuff. At least I think that's what I heard. So in other words, it's not his fault.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
I know this isn't much but... I think the mac theme and extras have been completed weeks ago, but he's waiting for the PC ports and stuff. At least I think that's what I heard. So in other words, it's not his fault.
yet another reason to dislike wintel people. man, the evidence is mounting.

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 07:21 PM

BBX and Omega are also waiting on me in a pretty big way. The feature set of ShapeShifter 1.1 is basically being designed around what Omega needs that can't be done using existing systems.

I haven't seen a full screenshot yet, just little bits of "Jason, here's what I'm trying to do, can you make it happen?". And those little tidbits have uniformly been drop-dead, pants-wettingly, "unnnhhh" amazing.

Anyway, my point is that if you're looking for someone to rage against, I deserve a bit of it too.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 07:35 PM

I think a teaser image for SS 1.1 is in order...

Or at least a screenshot of an Omega window.

phrenzy
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 07:59 PM

Please oh please give us back 'pressed state appearance' !

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by phrenzy:
Please explain?

zboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 09:30 PM

Please explain?
I'm assuming he means a screenshot of the final version..so no more changes. (if the mac version is indeed finished..)

ender2002
Senior User
Dec 4, 2003, 12:05 AM

5 more days

ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's a secret.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 11:27 AM

There's a bunch of stuff holding me up - but I'm working as fast as I possibly can. The Mac kit is not finished - some elements are finished, but others are in progress. The XP kit is in progress, but it won't hold up the Mac kit.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:
5 more days
Not

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by phrenzy:
? What are you talking about ?

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
Or at least a screenshot of an Omega window.
It's so cool in screenshots that a half-assed port would probably be attempted just based on the small amount of image in the screenie.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by drnkn_stylz:
I understand it's a system wide GUI kit, but you (Bill) could have waited until you were a lot closer to completion before starting a massive hype.
You call this massive hype? It's one thread in an obscure forum - in the past few months I've come to realize that there are more people cruising this forum than I ever realized. My intention was a heads-up to my fellow themers and enthusiasts to say 'hey, look at what I'm working on', not to create a never-ending thread with hundreds of replies stretching over 12 pages

When the real hype starts, you'll know it - this was supposed to be some insider ****.

Also, the theme was supposed to be out with SS 1.0, but accelerated release schedules, revised feature sets and the unforseen workload of my biggest co-conspirator (Smeger) threw the whole thing off. I'm also working with no less than 6 other people and working around their schedules as well. Realizing that I was looking at many weeks delay I took on some paying work to feed my family and drum up some cash for Xmas - this has also slowed me down somewhat.

Bottom line, due to circumstances beyond my control - yada yada yada.

Keep in mind as well that I'm a consistency whore - everything about this kit is super-tight. I've taken the time to tweak her up so that she's the sexiest dark theme ever (and that's not just my opinion). I've also had to devise a whole new system of interaction that lives happily within Aqua's footprint - there's no transmogrification (one material turning into another based on state)... everything mimics real-world physical technology and all states are defined by interactive LEDs (just wait until you activate a window and see all of its LEDs flick on like power has come online and you'll really appreciate the effect). And if you know anything about theming OSX, you'll know that a deep-level tweak can cascade across hundreds of resources - I've tried to avoid this as much as possible but have had to do some revisions to the original design to make it as cool as it can possibly be.

So yes, it's taken longer to produce than I originally thought for numerous reasons - but in the end your patience will be rewarded with what is probably one of the coolest themes ever on any platform (and you get it free just for buying ShapeShifter). Like I said - imagine Imperial Sith Aqua for the Deathstar and you're not far off.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
BBX and Omega are also waiting on me in a pretty big way. The feature set of ShapeShifter 1.1 is basically being designed around what Omega needs that can't be done using existing systems.
Translation: Omega will do things you've never seen before and deliver this capability to future SS themes - no small order and worth waiting for. We really are paving the way for some seriously cool-ass sh*t... so be patient.

I haven't seen a full screenshot yet, just little bits of "Jason, here's what I'm trying to do, can you make it happen?". And those little tidbits have uniformly been drop-dead, pants-wettingly, "unnnhhh" amazing.
Translation: not needed. And now that Jason's free from the yoke of 1.0 fixes he'll have time to develop impressions first-hand while making this coolness a reality

Anyway, my point is that if you're looking for someone to rage against, I deserve a bit of it too.
All rage will be assauged come release - I fully expect the tune to change to 'thanks for taking the time to make this rock as hard as it does, guys' across the board

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 12:45 PM

imagine Imperial Sith Aqua for the Deathstar and you're not far off.

Just in time to start ramping up on the Episode III hype.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2003, 01:02 PM

It's so cool in screenshots that a half-assed port would probably be attempted just based on the small amount of image in the screenie.
yeah, please don't give in on the preview requests

-Owl

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2003, 04:03 PM

? What are you talking about ?
Think he means pressed scroll bars....

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 04:42 PM

just one question:

Is this theme going to bog my entire machine down

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 04:50 PM

So.. Is it still pre-xmas?
Anyway, sounds like my ShapeShifter payment will be well worth it, if it's as cool as you say

quandarry
Dec 4, 2003, 05:14 PM

i keep coming to this thread every cupla days to get updates...i am interested but not excited...and mostly what i find is beggers and whiners and it's embarrassing.

what would have been nice would be some news and updates from bbx every cupla days and i think that's what it was meant for.

it certainly wasn't meant for hype because you get a feel for some peeps and bbx would surely rather be left alone and not bugged day in and day out.

i'm afraid others have caused the hype and i hope it does not dampen bbx's outing of omega when that day comes.

anyways bbx...maybe you should ask macguru to lock this thread...it's gotten way to bloated and if you feel the need start a fresh thread for news and updates.

just a thought...but alas the monster may return.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 05:28 PM

I don't think a monster thread is necessarily bad... those truly interested certainly get to see BBX's pretty frequent posts.

And though Bill mentioned that he had not intended for this post to become hype... I have my doubts about that At least practically, I'm sure Omega hype has driven a lot of SS 1.0 sales hehe. That's what you get for posting 'teaser posters' in the central mac GUI forums, and include it with the biggest mac GUI app.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:

just a thought...but alas the monster may return.
Raaarrrrrr... we can't be stopped!

-Owl & Co.

quandarry
Dec 4, 2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Raaarrrrrr... we can't be stopped!

-Owl & Co.

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 10:18 PM

Think I'd rather have one, concise Omega/BBX thread than having to track several at once. besides, easy enough to keep up with the new stuff by clicking "last page" and hoping there, ignoring the rest.

dave

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 5, 2003, 01:18 AM

everything mimics real-world physical technology and all states are defined by interactive LEDs (just wait until you activate a window and see all of its LEDs flick on like power has come online and you'll really appreciate the effect).
Wait wait wait, flicker on? Are we talking animation here? I mean, a typical window state is on/off, dim/bold, etc.. to flicker would require several frames.

Is this a never before seen anywhere else kind of thing? Is this the kind of stuff SS makes possible? Is it going to make switching windows take longer?

I don't think answering woud ruin the impact (you'd know best) but I find the idea of flickering states interesting seeing as I can't recall ever seeing it before.

Wait, I think I've seen some alerts flash things perhaps you've tied into those? Hmm...

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 01:50 AM

How long do we have to wait for the Palm OS5 320x320 high-res port?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2003, 05:00 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
Wait wait wait, flicker on?
He didnt say "flicker" on, he said "flick" on.
To me, flicker implies multiple. flick implies single.
3R1C

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by 3R1C:
Inactive - LEDs dim, Active - ping! Sounds anticlimactic, but it's actually quite fun and a consistent effect. Almost everything including titlebars is LED-driven, which sounds like it might be too much but in fact it's very clean and slick - it also makes things like activation power-on effects very convincing and intuitive.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2003, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
How long do we have to wait for the Palm OS5 320x320 high-res port?
ummm, forever?

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2003, 09:45 AM

...Bill mentioned that he had not intended for this post to become hype... I have my doubts about that
Man, you haven't seen the hype yet - trust me Wait until you see the pulsing logo emerge from the darkness and spin open like a robotic imperial lotus bloom and then you'll know the hype has begun

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by MorphOSX:
Think I'd rather have one, concise Omega/BBX thread than having to track several at once.
I agree - never intended for this one to go on for so long, but seeing as it's too late let's try and set a record here Besides, I'll start a new thread for the reveal and 'download now!' thing when it comes... this one's an ongoing discussion re: development, the new one will contain all the screenies, impressions, problems and the like.

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 10:08 AM

Aw man BBX, now I can kind of envision it !

Okay, not really .
I'm sure I'll be blown away. Thus far, I can't wait to see Omega, but as one other person asked, how much of a performance hit is this going to take along with it? Not to say that I really care (it's too cool to care about CPU usage! ), but I'm pretty sure that some kind of intensified processor use on ShapeShifter's part will be required to do all of the things you say Omega will do.

Anyway, I understand why you don't want to give any release dates, but could we get about a week's notice or so? Please?

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 10:21 AM

yeah do a week countdown with teasers ala apple with the imac

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2003, 12:53 PM

yeah do a week countdown with teasers ala apple with the imac
You got it - minimum 5 days notice

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 5, 2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by 3R1C:
Look at that, you're absolutely right. No idea why I saw flicker.

Flick and flicker do mean completely different things and to be honest I didn't think LEDs flickering on made any sense seeing as only fluorescents tend flicker into action.

Bad brain! I shall punish thee with a week of reality television!

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by WICKEDfour:
Thus far, I can't wait to see Omega, but as one other person asked, how much of a performance hit is this going to take along with it? Not to say that I really care (it's too cool to care about CPU usage! ), but I'm pretty sure that some kind of intensified processor use on ShapeShifter's part will be required to do all of the things you say Omega will do.
Basically the same processor usage required by ShapeShifter 1.0.1, which is pretty close to none.

I do my development on a 500MHz G3 iBook, which ain't the speediest beastie in the world, so you can be pretty sure I'm not going to write anything that's too processor-intensive. We've actually scrapped quite a few possible features because there was no way to implement them in a processor-friendly way.

So basically, don't worry about CPU usage.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules