Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > If the PowerBook G5 doesn't come out by September...

If the PowerBook G5 doesn't come out by September... (Page 2)
macross
Feb 21, 2004, 12:19 AM

I wouldn't count on a G5 PB in '04 at all. Its bad enough, Steve Jobs claims that the PowerMac will see a 1ghz increase by the next year and chacnes are that won't happen. But then again, i've been following apple long enough to take the majority of his keynote speeches with a grain of salt.

khufuu
Feb 21, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:
I would love it to be as fast as a desktop, but I guess portability is important.

I'm planning on getting a 15", and its thinosity is truly amazing.

Just...I want my money's worth...you know?

...but I also really want a Mac and I really don't want a PC. You see, I have a PC now, and I've had PC's all my life. I've been obsessed with Macs, however, for the past 7 or 8 months, and I wouldn't really be able to live with myself if I didn't get one.

Oh, the horror!

What a dillema...
Thinosity... good word!

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by dantley:
You can be a moron AND be an MIT applicant. I know MIT graduates that are morons.
me too . mit course 6 kids were, as a rule, drunk and depressed.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2004, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
me too . mit course 6 kids were, as a rule, drunk and depressed.
But I'm not drunk and depressed .

Well, if it pleases you people, I'll let you know if I got in on April 1. Until then...yikes.

But back to the topic...
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Squozen
Feb 23, 2004, 06:55 AM

I got my 15" Powerbook as a salary sacrifice (About $3200 Australian with some BTO upgrades). Retail it's a $5k machine. I'll be able to sell it for about $3-3.5k when the G5 laptops are released without any hassle if I need to. It's a nice position to be in.

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by agentmouthwash:
i was gonna wait for teh G5 powerbook, but then ended up getting the G4 in september. Glad I did.

it's perfect for now.. by the time I want a new computer I'll get a 2nd generation G5 powerbook.
I agree with that. I recently purchased the 17 inch powerbook for when I go to college in september, because even in the PowerBook G4 is announced then, it will be Revision A. I wouldn't purchase it until a revision B is available. So by that time, I expect to get my money's worth, and then sell the G4 PB. Also to the OP, that MIT comment was stupid. I also applied to MIT, as I believe anyone who has a serious interest in engineering does. As other people pointed out, being an applicant is nothing special, it is getting accepted, and then graduating from that school.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by KraziKid:
I agree with that. I recently purchased the 17 inch powerbook for when I go to college in september, because even in the PowerBook G4 is announced then, it will be Revision A. I wouldn't purchase it until a revision B is available. So by that time, I expect to get my money's worth, and then sell the G4 PB. Also to the OP, that MIT comment was stupid. I also applied to MIT, as I believe anyone who has a serious interest in engineering does. As other people pointed out, being an applicant is nothing special, it is getting accepted, and then graduating from that school.
I promise you that the average IQ level of MIT applicants is far greater than that of the world population. That means something.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2004, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by KraziKid:
Can you stop talking about applying to MIT? i am applying to Stanford Law, but I don't mention it in every post.

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2004, 11:46 PM

I promise you that the average IQ level of MIT applicants is far greater than that of the world population. That means something.
who gives a sh*t?

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 12:55 AM

who gives a sh*t?
No one! You people keep haranguing me about one comment of mine, in which I tried to prove that my friend is not an idiot by bringing up his MIT application.

I'm not bragging about anything, because there is nothing to brag about. I'm not trying to continue a conversation about MIT, because there is nothing to discuss.

Open your eyes, folks, and realize that we should really get back to the topic at hand...please?

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2004, 01:19 AM

No one! You people keep haranguing me about one comment of mine, in which I tried to prove that my friend is not an idiot by bringing up his MIT application.

I'm not bragging about anything, because there is nothing to brag about. I'm not trying to continue a conversation about MIT, because there is nothing to discuss.

Open your eyes, folks, and realize that we should really get back to the topic at hand...please?
Fine, what was the topic again.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2004, 12:10 AM

Fine, what was the topic again.
If the PowerBook G5 doesn't come out by September...

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2004, 12:19 AM

tavilach, I was in your dilemma 4 years ago. I bought a Pismo 400 at a great discount (Apple was selling them for $2000 to education (as opposed to $2500 retail). The 500 MHz one was $1000 more so it was out of the question. I needed to upgrade the RAM and hard disk about a year later but that's all I did. It lasted me until this fall when I bought a G4 PowerBook through my school's Apple purchasing program. I wouldn't expect your Mac to last 4 years. Either you go cheap now and expect to replace it in 2 years or spend more and it will last 3. The final year or two with your PowerBook will be rough but just be prepared for it.

If I were you I'd just get a G4 iBook and then in 2 years I'd get something new to replace it (possibly G5 iBooks by then).

superfula
Senior User
Feb 29, 2004, 04:49 PM

It is highly unlikely (read not gonna happen) that the G5 will be in a powerbook anytime soon. That's the last info we have from Apple, so I'm going with it. The next update will be a G4 update. This is a no brainer. Anyone who thinks otherwise has gotten caught up in their desire for a G5. Getting a G5 in a powerbook within the next few months is near impossible. I think it highly unlikely that we'll see ANY powerbook with a G5 this year. Apple will want to announce a G5 powerbook at some big conference. So it's either this summer (nope) or in January, which is much more likely.

Get your powerbook when you need it. Like someone else said, avoid the first revision of products like the plague.

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by superfula:
Like someone else said, avoid the first revision of products like the plague.
Apple currently has a trade-in program where you get $700 on early model Titaniums towards 15.2" AlPB. What does this tell you about sales of the new AlPB and Apple's confidence in it?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86643

I'm trying to remember whether Apple has ever had trade-in programs like this before? Please chime in with historical details, if there were previous programs.

I remember the glorious reviews by the early adopters of the rev A 12" firebook. How many of those were sold on eBay after the initial euphoria wore off? Admittedly, there are many satisfied 12" rev A owners, perhaps because only a certain percentage seemingly had the extreme heat problems. On the other hand, when rev B came out, Apple tacitly admitted that they rearranged internal components because of the heat problems.

So, when that illusive G5 PB finally comes out (and it won't be soon) will you be the first to try it out?

toshigen
Mar 1, 2004, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by amazing:
So, when that illusive G5 PB finally comes out (and it won't be soon) will you be the first to try it out?
Yes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules