Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > car accident - diminished value

car accident - diminished value
tuamigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 06:38 PM

Do any of you here have any experience with a diminished value claims? Have you used any of the firms that help consumers with this type of claim? My 6 week old 27K auto took on about 5,000 worth of damage. I am just trying to get some more information from people who have been through the process. I was not at fault. All repairs are being done but my car is now worth a lot less. The car is an 2006 model year

ps- just got my 20" dell widescreen; poor powerbook's fan is blowing hard!
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
tuamigo
12" 1ghz powerbook 768megs - 20.1 wide screen dell + a cheap pc (print server)

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 19, 2005, 06:59 PM

you put 27,000 miles on a new car in 6 weeks?!?!?!?!

Edit. Nevermind. I read that the wrong way. Uh... no, I'm pretty sure you're basically up **** creek without a paddle. Sucks. You could always take the money the insurance company sends you to repair it, keep it, and then sell your car in the damaged condition it's already in.

- Rob

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2005, 07:33 PM

What kind of car?

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2005, 09:16 PM

I feel your pain, man. I really do. My child (car) was recently hit by some nice old lady who wasn't paying any ****ing attention. The rage.. sweet jesus jones, the rage. Anyway, I fought with her insurance company, body shops, adjusters, etc. My attorney said he would pursue it if I felt like spending the cash to go after it.. but everyone I know advised me to just walk away.

Instead I've decided to save my money, purchase the building where the old lady's family has a small business, wait until they violate a few little things in the lease agreement and then have them thrown out on their asses hopefully ruining their lives.

As for the insurance company, I've already signed a contract with a local design/pr agency. They're coming up with a cleaver concept to rag on and hopefully cause a little bit of hurt on the woman's insurance company. Won't have much of an effect but who knows. Maybe I'll cause some numbers to be off and a regional manager will lose his job.

But honestly I'll just continue to be bitter about it and everyone will ignore me.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by pooka
Instead I've decided to save my money, purchase the building where the old lady's family has a small business, wait until they violate a few little things in the lease agreement and then have them thrown out on their asses hopefully ruining their lives.
Jesus dude. That's a bit much. Those other people didn't hit your car, she did. ****, just put on a ski mask and yell at her and she'll probably have a stroke. Or claim whiplash or something.

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
Jesus dude. That's a bit much. Those other people didn't hit your car, she did. ****, just put on a ski mask and yell at her and she'll probably have a stroke. Or claim whiplash or something.
That would be against the law.

Rampant Desire
Aug 20, 2005, 02:30 PM

You're a jackass. It's just a car. I hope next time you are severely disabled when someone hits you.

'Nuff said.

Oh yeah, you're a jackass.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 03:03 PM

That would be against the law.
And what he did is legal, but much much worse.

OpenStep
Senior User
Aug 20, 2005, 03:08 PM

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 03:10 PM

Do you honestly find that funny? I guess in order to find something humorous it has to be witty... for me at least. Maybe you find unoriginal played-out stupidity funny...

Railroader
Banned
Aug 20, 2005, 03:16 PM

You really think that's why he posted it?

It's more like tossing gas onto a fire.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 03:24 PM

But it doesn't piss me off... it's just dumb. It'd be like if I posted a picture of the pirate saying that pictures of pirates are played out and boring. >shrug< Here, maybe I can be cool!

Wow that sure was witty!

Railroader
Banned
Aug 20, 2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
Here, maybe I can be cool!
Uhhh... no.

You're lobbin' em in here buddy.

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rampant Desire
You're a jackass. It's just a car. I hope next time you are severely disabled when someone hits you.

'Nuff said.

Oh yeah, you're a jackass.
Well, you're a poopoohead. That's right. I went there.

And I hope that you're the one who hits and disables me. That way you'll be forced into prostitution in order to pay all the medical and legal bills.

Jeeze, dude. I was sorta kidding about the whole thing. I have no intention of hiring a PR agency.

tuamigo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2005, 09:49 PM

Oh, It was a 2006 Subaru Forester. Here are some pictures. The car only has 4k on it. The insurance company says they rarely pay diminished value claims... They are giving me the run around! I'll post an update once I have more info. It seems like I will just have to take the hit on this one

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
tuamigo
12" 1ghz powerbook 768megs - 20.1 wide screen dell + a cheap pc (print server)

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Aug 21, 2005, 11:26 PM

Just make sure to get the repairs done through the dealership. It'll cost the other person an arm and a leg. Good news is that should be an easy fix.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 22, 2005, 02:08 AM

The insurance company dictates that you go to get 3 quotes from reputable body shops. Usually. One doesn't do that so it costs anyone more money.. the other person isn't paying, their insurance company is and they'll pass along the extra cost to the average consumer like you or me, so your logic is quite flawed as usual Rob.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2005, 08:06 AM

Diminished value is stupid if you are not trying to sell it today. Keep it, drive it, and be happy they paid for the repair. Eventually, the car will be worth a lot less after you put more miles on it. Eventually, the accident will not matter. Heck, it doesn't matter today.

Sh*t happens. It just happened to you. Get over it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Aug 22, 2005, 09:51 AM

Yep. And seeing as how it's a subie, you'll be able to rack up a LOT of miles on that thing before you even need to consider selling it. I've got over 190,000 on mine, runs great. Actually, I was hit in pretty much the same spot as you:

I just pulled it out and kept driving, since I don't want to repaint while living in the city and parking outside. Looks like if you put in a new tail you could probably just keep driving, since it didn't get hit on the actual wheel causing suspension damage... however... if it DID hit the wheel, you should really have them look at the wheel bearing. I was hit on the wheel and 1/4 panel, and only 4,000 miles later that side's wheel bearing went out, probably from the light impact. No way to prove it though, so I had to shell out $400 to get it fixed. >:|

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2005, 12:08 PM

http://www.gap-insurance.com/ would have been your friend.

I got myself one, just so I don't have to be mad if my car gets totaled...

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules