Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Question about converting from Windows to Mac

Question about converting from Windows to Mac
genesisdan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2005, 11:56 PM

Hi all, just joined the forums, looks like the right place to post a question as I've been an avid Windows user since 3.1 (and even tinkered with 1.0, ugh!). For context, 2/3 of the work I do is supporting Windows 2000 servers or greater, and Windows 2000 and XP workstations in a network environment. The other 1/3 of my work is websites that I create/maintain for clients and some limited graphics stuff I do for 1 regular client, which includes flyers, postcards, mailers, posters, and PowerPoint stuff.

Right now, I have an Inspiron 1100 thats about 2 years old and showing signs of needing to be replaced. Yes, I have all my data on an external Maxtor USB drive, so no worries there. 2/3 of my work is supporting Windows computer systems and networks. It has a built in 60GB drive, 2 USB ports, a hi-speed USB card running in a 1024x768 resolution, with a P4 2.2GHz processor and 640MB RAM. It has served me well for 2 year, although I have had a fair series of crashes; I've never had to reinstall the OS, although I am probably very diligent about spyware, viruses and installing junk/clicking popups, due to the nature of my work.

My question is this: I have an opportunity to get a new laptop; a client owes me about $2500 and asked if there was anything I needed in lieu of cash. I said I was open to it as I have other jobs I am doing and that monies is paying the bills this month and next.

Should I get a Powerbook? Which one? I lug my laptop around everywhere I go, so will I benefit by losing the weight of the 17 and just get a 12" to carry around and buy a nice screen? Or does the extra RAM, processor, and firewire of the 15" and 17" models make up the difference. If I get a Powerbook, I will max out the unit and buy an external monitor later. How heavy REALLY is the 17" -- will it be a pain after carrying it around all day? Is the 12" too small? What about my files, how much will I lose converting over to Mac?

I'd love to hear from someone who switched from Windows to Mac. I might just keep my Inspiron around for those instances where Windows is preferrable to Mac, in light of the majority of my work. Any thoughts? Am I crazy and should I just get another PC? I just want to get this right, so sorry about the long post.

Thanks for your replies...

loki74
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 12:19 AM

Well, as a matter of fact I switched last Christmas. (Dual 2.5 PowerMac was the best Christmas gift I've ever gotten!)

I have no experience with the PB's so I can't really comment on that. As far as files, it really depends on what formats etc.

As long as all the software you absolutely need for the job has a Mac version, that Mac version should be able to read all of the files made by the PC version. (I know that Photshop has some "Maximize Compatability" option, but I think that in general there should be no special requirements to switch)

I can pretty much guarantee that you will enjoy the UI of OSX better, but I'm guessing that since you're considering getting a Mac you've heard about the UI being better a million times.

Another advantage is that if you do switch and you do like it, you can shut up all the PC-zealot trolls that visit us here, since you'll be actively using both platforms! (of course if you dont like it thats bad new for us! )

I would actually suggest going to your local Apple store and playing with a PB on display. IMO this is really the best way to make a judgement. I would personally like to have the 17" screen, but that's because the work I do demands as much screen real-estate as possible... but if that were not necessary, I'd probably be perfectly fine with the 15" although I doubt I'd be able to live with the 12"...

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2005, 12:28 AM

Welcome to the 'NN.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2005, 02:31 AM

The 17" can be a bit heavy to lug around all day, especially if you have a lot of other stuff in your bag. I have a very slim fit leather bag, that suits me fine. For me, I wouldn't do without the screen-space, but it all depends on what you need.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2005, 02:33 AM

Be aware that next month Apple is most likely releasing laptops that can run Windows and Mac OS X.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 19, 2005, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Be aware that next month Apple is most likely releasing laptops that can run Windows and Mac OS X.
Oh?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2005, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
Oh?
Check your sig.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 19, 2005, 02:51 AM

LOL! Touché. But is it really 100% guaranteed it will run windows?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 19, 2005, 03:22 AM

Apple has simply said they will make no special effort to prevent Windows from running on its systems. Also, people have gotten WINE running on Darwin on Intel ("Darwine").

tooki

genesisdan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2005, 03:26 AM

That being said, should I wait or no? I am thinking if I do a powerbook, it will likely be the 12" or the 15" -- it seems the 17" is too much to lug around all day. Will I severely be limited by the 12" unit?

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 03:31 AM

From the community reports it does indeed run on the developer kits Apple leased out. However, Apple has already said that they will offer no support for the MS OS.

Some of the screenshots I viewed of XP running on the developer kits showed that it ran normally but the screen resolution was stuck at 800x600 and could not be modified normally.

I'm guessing that a community will form to solve many of these issues and anything thing else that may crop up. But ultimately it's a hack job and you need to understand this before you make your decision. There is a strong possibility that MS could provide their own support and help to bypass all these problems. But as of yet they haven't officially made any statements.

If you can hold off on making the decision for a few months and scope the situation from a safe distance then I think that you should. But if you need the hardware now then go with what best meets your needs. These companies will still be around the next upgrade cycle.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2005, 03:56 AM

Buy when you need the machine. If you can afford to wait, wait. If you can't afford to wait, don't.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 19, 2005, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by wataru
Buy when you need the machine. If you can afford to wait, wait. If you can't afford to wait, don't.
Quit talking common sense. That kind of thinking's not welcome 'round here.

( Last edited by Railroader; Dec 19, 2005 at 05:38 AM. )

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2005, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by genesisdan
That being said, should I wait or no? I am thinking if I do a powerbook, it will likely be the 12" or the 15" -- it seems the 17" is too much to lug around all day. Will I severely be limited by the 12" unit?
Wait just a little while until the first Intel laptops come out, chances are they will have better battery life and being able to run Windows software at real speed using wine or even using a real copy of Windows will make it that much easier for you to switch over.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2005, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
Wait just a little while until the first Intel laptops come out, chances are they will have better battery life and being able to run Windows software at real speed using wine or even using a real copy of Windows will make it that much easier for you to switch over.
If you're running Windows, you aren't switching over…
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2005, 04:51 AM

there are some programs you need real windows for, especially for work. And some games, a lot of Mac users keep 2 computers, with the new Intel’s that will eliminate that need.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2005, 04:52 AM

wait!
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2005, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Take that date with a HEALTHY dose of skepticism.

Within the next six months, okay.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2005, 06:05 AM

Ill vouch for the 15" Powerbook. its a compromise. and u get the best of both worlds...all features and a wide screen with a .3kg difference in weight from the 12".

If you want a mac, just buy one already. theres no guarantees a new Powerbook will come out in January, and theres no guarantees it will run Windows. On top of that, it'll be the first revision of Apple using a totally different processor.....personally i usually wait until at least a rev.b. update to spend my money on hardware.

Performance gains wont be leaps and bounds until developers start upgrading their apps, so as an end user u wont notice the difference (sans the rumoured ability to run Windows)

Cheers

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ratm
Some of the screenshots I viewed of XP running on the developer kits showed that it ran normally but the screen resolution was stuck at 800x600 and could not be modified normally.
This was an issue with not having the proper graphics card drivers installed.

When Intel Macs start using ATI cards I'm sure all you'll have to do is install the official Catalyst drivers.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Take that date with a HEALTHY dose of skepticism.

Within the next six months, okay.
Well, that's most analysts with industry sources are saying.

Rumor has it that the concentration on 10.4.4 is finishing it for Intel Macs next month.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 03:12 PM

http://thinksecret.com/

Apple's new Mac mini and iBook are expected to be among the first—if not the first—systems to feature Intel's new mobile processor, code-named Yonah. Intel will make a big splash with Yonah as part of if its Viiv media center effort, which will be unveiled in detail at the Consumer Eelectronics Show (CES) Jan. 5-8, just days ahead of Macworld Expo.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 03:15 PM

with 2500 buck why not get a desktop??

genesisdan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2005, 09:25 PM

Made the plunge... ordered the PB 15" maxxed out: 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, Superdrive. Estimated shipping date is Dec-22. WOHOOOOO, cant wait.
( Last edited by genesisdan; Dec 19, 2005 at 09:56 PM. )

loki74
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 10:02 PM

Made the plunge... ordered the PB 15" maxxed out: 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, Superdrive. Estimated shipping date is Dec-22. WOHOOOOO, cant wait.
Well, conratulations!! I hope the machine serves you well!

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 10:14 PM

You fool! But now at least we know that they will debut PB at MWSF 06—thanks for your sacrifice genesisdan!

genesisdan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2005, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ratm
You fool! But now at least we know that they will debut PB at MWSF 06—thanks for your sacrifice genesisdan!
First off, you dont know who I am, so I appreciate you not calling me a fool.

Secondly, I dont beta test release 1.0 for anyone on mission-critical stuff. Sounds like the hybrid thing would be nice, but I can just bet rent money that when this thing comes out, it will have lots of issues to work through and thats even before the software guys get on board and write code specifically for it. No thank you, not willing to go through that.... I will take my new laptop that I've read stellar reviews about here (thank you MacNN!) and give that a shot.

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2005, 11:13 PM

As far as I can tell Apple doesn't prevent you running Windows on your PPC Mac either btw. Just Microsoft doesn't make Windows:mac v.X...
David.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2005, 11:18 PM

Secondly, I dont beta test release 1.0 for anyone on mission-critical stuff. Sounds like the hybrid thing would be nice, but I can just bet rent money that when this thing comes out, it will have lots of issues to work through and thats even before the software guys get on board and write code specifically for it. No thank you, not willing to go through that.... I will take my new laptop that I've read stellar reviews about here (thank you MacNN!) and give that a shot.
He was joking, because a lot of us (*cough*) have had experiences where we were on the fence about buying a computer, said, "Aww, what the heck?" and then Apple came out with something really cool in its place a month later. So he was saying you jinxed Apple into releasing new PowerBooks next month.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 11:32 PM

Grow a sense of humor will ya

my results.
( Last edited by Ratm; Dec 19, 2005 at 11:47 PM. )

genesisdan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 03:19 AM

Welp, I got it - g4 15" w/2GB RAM, 120GB HD, Superdrive

Very sweet. Very sweet and sleek indeed.

Loading up and moving docs over and stuff. Any must haves (besides Launcher, got that)

mindwaves
Dec 30, 2005, 03:24 AM

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2005, 03:43 AM

Office 2004 (mac) or iWork. Toast, VLC(free) , Handbrake(free) etc....

And yeah the 15" PBG4 is a thing of beauty. Rest assured, if and when Apple moves to intel, it will see an incremental improvement in performance, not leaps and bounds. And since you want a "macintosh" to run OSX and mac software, you made a good choice.

Plus, you really dont want to be a guinea pig for the rev.A mactels. im sure they will be fine for the most part, and people wont even be able to tell the difference for the most part, but why put off buying a well tested system (PPC + OSX) for one that will be hitting the market for the first time ? when they will be both doing essentially the same thing in the end ?

Congradulations....and..... welcome to the dark side brother !

Cheers

genesisdan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 12:42 PM

thanks mindwaves and hawkeyes

2 biggest things that blew me away ths far was when on a whim i took the logitec wireless mouse out of my windows laptop and plugged it into the PB -- it worked without prompting me for software or anything --- INSTANTLY. I was like, WOW! The other was when i installed Launcher. I immediately wondered why no such thing exists on the windows side...

so far am very happy.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 30, 2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
He was joking, because a lot of us (*cough*) have had experiences where we were on the fence about buying a computer, said, "Aww, what the heck?" and then Apple came out with something really cool in its place a month later. So he was saying you jinxed Apple into releasing new PowerBooks next month.
It seems to happen more with Macs than other products (but iPods are the same; by the time I finished setting up my 4th gen iPod, the 5th generations were out! OUCH!).

When someone announces making a Major Purchase®, it predestines the manufacturer to move immediately to a new generation of that product, one that is super betterer and runs rings around the now obsolete (but sometimes not even delivered yet) announced purchase. This is called "life." It happened when I bought my Inspiron 8200; three months later the 8500 came out followed quickly by the All New® 8600... Now I make it a habit not to even look at computer ads for several months after I buy something because what I bought will go on sale almost immediately (with a great rebate too!) and that makes me feel dumb.

Genesisdan, welcome both to the MacNN Forums and the world of Macintosh! Enjoy; it's a lot of fun here!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2005, 02:30 PM

Welp, I got it - g4 15" w/2GB RAM, 120GB HD, Superdrive

Very sweet. Very sweet and sleek indeed.

Loading up and moving docs over and stuff. Any must haves (besides Launcher, got that)
I'm curious, because you didn't acknowledge it at all. But... did you get a better sense of humor? The guy was joking when calling you a fool, he was just making a point that if you buy, the upgrade will be imminent.

historylme
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2005, 03:01 PM

Yeah, welcome. That is a sweet machine you got. Keep us updated with the switch, we love to hear stuff like this (speaking for myself). I get a kick to hear how people discover the hidden corners of the OS, partly validation but mostly fun to remember how I felt when first learning.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2005, 03:04 PM

i took the logitec wireless mouse out of my windows laptop and plugged it into the PB -- it worked without prompting me for software or anything --- INSTANTLY. I was like, WOW!
Bingo, there is the Mac in a nutshell.

I threw a DVD burner in my 4 year old G4 and its worked without a hitch. No software needed.

Welcome to the Mac

genesisdan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
I'm curious, because you didn't acknowledge it at all. But... did you get a better sense of humor? The guy was joking when calling you a fool, he was just making a point that if you buy, the upgrade will be imminent.
/shrug Maybe... i guess I am old school in that mamma always told me not to call people names, whether i was joking or not. Now, if you know me and wanna call me a fool, then either you're one of my best friends, confidants or I recently fired you. Since he was none of the above and I was obviously new to this forum, i found it a tad offensive. But i moved on. Thus,,, shall we leave it at that?

Thank you good sir.

Forum Links
Forum Rules