Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Anyone running a 30" screen on the 2009 Mac mini?

Anyone running a 30" screen on the 2009 Mac mini?
No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2009, 09:14 PM

Any 30" screen, looking for real-life "feel" of the 9400M driving the pixels doing basic tasks, surfing, iTunes, windows resizing, etc. Is it choppy or smooth?

Dell recently dropped prices on their 30" screens and I'd love to get one.
Mac mini (2009) / 4 GB / 320 GB 7200 RPM / Dell 2407WFP

seandavid010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2009, 01:52 AM

I've been thinking lately about getting the same setup - a 30" Apple display and a Mac Mini, and would also be interested in hearing anyone's take on the combo.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2009, 09:03 PM

It won't even work.

30" LCDs require a dual-link DVI signal in order to drive the native 2560x1600 resolution. The Mac Mini only has a mini DVI connection, which maxes out at 1920x1200.

Any 30" computer LCD will require you to buy a video card that supports dual-link DVI.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 12, 2009, 09:17 PM

Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
Apple - Mac mini - Tech Specs - Explore every Mac mini detail, inside and out.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2009, 09:31 PM

Ah okay. I looked on Apple's website and thought I saw that the Mini has mini DVI, not mini DisplayPort.

My bad.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

seandavid010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
It won't even work.

30" LCDs require a dual-link DVI signal in order to drive the native 2560x1600 resolution. The Mac Mini only has a mini DVI connection, which maxes out at 1920x1200.

Any 30" computer LCD will require you to buy a video card that supports dual-link DVI.
Apple makes a mini-displayport to dual-link DVI adapter that I was planning on using, which would indeed enable it to power a 30" Apple display. Anyone here run that setup? Thoughts? Recommendations?

OreoCookie
Sep 13, 2009, 02:48 AM

Yes, it will definitely work. A friend of mine has a 2009 Mac mini and a 30" Dell display (which has the same resolution as the 30" Apple Cinema Display). The setup is gorgeous and everything works beautifully.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2009, 02:59 AM

If you get a Dell 30" display, that has DisplayPort on it, you can use a Mini-DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable like this or this or this instead of a dual-link DVI adapter. This is a good idea because this way you won't have to sacrifice one of your USB ports. And, of course, it's less bulky.

Also, this may be my imagination, but my Dell display seems to wake from power-saving mode faster when connected via DP than it did via DVI.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2009, 07:39 AM

edit: nevermind, got it.
( Last edited by israces; Sep 15, 2009 at 10:04 AM. )
Backup your Backup

Forum Links
Forum Rules