Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Key on the keyboard fell off.

Key on the keyboard fell off.
Praetor11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2002, 05:07 PM

Hi,
I have a G3 500 ice iBook and the command key just fell off. Its not broken, but I'm having trouble getting it back on.... Anybody wanna share some tips...please?

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2002, 02:13 AM

Before you try to put the key back on, look at the scissors on the keyboard. There should be 2 little pins sticking out of the side on the top. If one of them is broken off, your key will not go back on. I've had it happen, they're very fragile.

I find the easiest way to put the key back on is to just set it flat on the scissors thing and press down until it clicks. DO NOT press down very hard. (If you're pressing down so hard the keyboard bends, your scissors is probably broken.) If the scissors thing is off too, it's a bit more complicated. The simplest way to see how it should go on is by taking another key off (just the key) by grabbing the right side with your fingernail and gently pulling up.

Putting the scissors thing back on is a bit more complicated and I have a hard time explaining it. If you need me to explain it (it's pretty easy once you figure it out), just let me know.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2002, 12:18 PM

And you can always buy a new keyboard at www.pbparts.com

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2002, 01:25 PM

It's kind of obscene to sped $160 to replace a keyboard when a removable key fell off... They're supposed to come off.

Praetor11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2002, 03:25 PM

Thanks guys, I got the key back on after taking off the other command key and checking it out. The keys are all back on, but the scissors are *almost* done for on the first key that fell off.... Oh well, it works and looks good for now..... Lets just hope it stays working

Forum Links
Forum Rules