Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > adc registration?

adc registration?
mutron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2003, 09:31 AM

Hi,

I am thinking of getting the 17'' powerbook.
I am a student and getting it with a lower price would be a great thing. The student discount is about $100 which is not a lot if I consider it getting from an on-line reseller without paying any state tax.

I have heard recently the that you can have a bigger discount through the ADC program. Since I am a student does it cost to register for it? Does it cost a lot of money? How does it work?

Thanks!
ps

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 09:37 AM

ADC is a group of Apple Developers that get great benefits upon joining, and although joining is expensive for most, you can get these benefits for only $99 if you're enrolled in a college even part time, regardless of class load or class scheduling. One of the greatest benefits is a one-time 20% off discount on the purchase of an Apple computer & Apple accessories. Here's how you can join:

"Just go to http://connect.apple.com and select "Join" to purchase a Student Membership. Put a Student Membership in your cart and "Check-Out". Pay your $99, fill out all the info. it asks (including your Student ID [many universities, including my own, simply use your Social Security # as your ID, so if you're unsure, check into it first] at your college, this is very important), and order it. You'll then be instantly ready to purchase via the Student Discount. You do so by heading HERE and click that banner that says "ADC Hardware Purchase Program" to enter the ADC Store. Wowww look at the pretty prices!

Okay, after you're through gawking, get to ordering! Just put whatever you want in your cart, and make absolute *SURE!* you get everything you need, because once the order is placed, that discount is FOREVER gone, regardless of what you "forgot" to order at the time of purchase. Too, many things in accessories won't be discounted, as it's the Apple-made hardware that's discounted. For instance, a Microsoft mouse will be the same price through the ADC store as the normal one, so don't be shocked, only Apple stuff is discounted, but even the small things like Power Adapters, batteries, etc. are discounted if made by Apple.

Then, place your order, give them your name, shipping info., credit card info., etc. and you're set! Things will begin to ship as they become available. In about a week or two you'll get an email from Apple requesting a FAX from you to them with your College letter of Acceptance (original, no copies) OR your current Class Schedule from your University, PLUS your Student ID card or Driver's License. Also, if you want to type out a page stating your full name, address, and your ADC Membership Confirmation Number (that'll be included in the email they'll send you after you've paid your $99 to confirm that you're in) and fax that page too, it speeds up there confirmation process. Once that's in to Apple, they won't email you telling you it's done, but keep a check on your account at connect.apple.com, and you'll see your Assets (ADC Student Membership and ADC Mailings) become updated w/ a current date, which will be the date they confirmed you after your faxes. This confirmation of faxes allows them to start sending your monthly mailings of free code, free info., free t-shirts, free programs, etc. for a one-year period (very cool stuff!). After that one-year, you can renew for $99 for another year, and you'll continue to get all your monthly goodies, but you will NOT ever receive another 20% discount, even with renewing. That discount is for joiners only, unfortunately, so use it very wisely!"

If you have any other questions, just let me know and I'll be glad to help!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

mutron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2003, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the information!!!!!!!

I'll do it today!!!!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by mutron:
Thanks for the information!!!!!!!

I'll do it today!!!!
Sure thing!! Great to have another ADC member! I purchased my 17" PowerBook and all my accessories through the ADC Discount and I've got everything...worked great! Good luck, and if you have any questions about it, just post!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules