Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > D2OL 2.0 Release and Migration?

D2OL 2.0 Release and Migration?
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 04:02 PM

Well, version 2.0 is coming out Wednesday. D2OL is presently offline.

Shaktai provided me with a heads up. For the most part I just left it running on my PC without paying much attention to the latest news developments.

What's new?

"Eighteen months of effort and testing have produced a client for our community that incorporates a wish list from users; these requests have become the backbone of our product. The new client is more robust and gives the users greater control over the communication with the servers located at the institute. The most frequently requested feature was an increased number of work units for the power-users and we are pleased to announce that the maximum number has increased twenty fold to satisfy even the fastest nodes on our network.

What else is new? Increased stability and reliability of the client-server system, improved client-server communications, decreased bandwidth requirements and increased user capacity are highlights of our efforts. The new architecture assures that both stability and growth are key commitments to our international community that has grown to almost 52,000 computers."

Add anything else you want to add <here>.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

jarling
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2003, 08:47 PM

Though there has been a race planned for F@H for a month now, do we want to move some hefty resources to D2OL for its kickoff to get ourselves up at the top of the rankings?

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by jarling:
Though there has been a race planned for F@H for a month now, do we want to move some hefty resources to D2OL for its kickoff to get ourselves up at the top of the rankings?
If the top 10 producers from F@H would move over to D2OL that should be quite nice, that would also leave me to move up a little more rapidly! I especially think that Scott, Raven and CobraMac should be talked into moving over!

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 10:46 PM

As one of the beta testers, I can say that so far the new client and backend systems look to be some of the smoothest I have ever seen in any DC project. However, that being said, we all know that a small beta test team is not likely to encounter every possible unusual configuration, and there is still a glitch with the intial e-mail log-in screen on the G5. Panther may fix it, or it may require a re-compile. However once you get past that glitch, the client seems to run well on the G5.

Problems with Windows ME were only discovered very late in the testing phase. I myself tested Linux (Mandrake 8.1 and Suse 8.1) and Mac OS. There were initial problems but they were quickly corrected and both ran very smoothly from then on.

D2OL and TSC are probably not for everyone, but if the cause appeals to you, feel free to join in. There are some very big European teams, that are dominating, but it would not take a lot for Macnn to be in the Top 10 or even the top 5. It would take a lot to go for #3 #2 or #1. Team Norway, Dutch Power Cows and Team Denmark are the big dogs on the D2OL playground now days, with weekly averages well above other teams. The only reason they didn't finish higher in final rankings, is because they just hadn't had enough time.

Personally I would hate to see power pulled from F@H as it is my second most favored project (and where my boxes are crunching until D2OL is back on line).

The stats will likely be reset to zero, although there is a lot of furor over that in the TSC forums. I don't really understand it myself. I think a reset is a good thing, because of the rampant cheating that took place, especially on the TSC side. The D2OL teams seem to be taking it in stride for the moment. An exact reset time is not given, but I hope it is immediate with kick-off of the new client.

The Mac Client is said to require OS-X v 10.2.3. What is really needed is Java 1.4.x, (for the agent, not the docking engine) so if you can install Java 1.4.x on an earlier version of OS-X, it will probably work. Linux clients all seem stable, and Linux is still the premier OS for this project, at least until the G5's come into their own with panther and a possible re-compile.

If you have any questions ask, and I will try to answer them. Otherwise just crunch where it gives you the greatest joy, but wherever that is, keep on crunching.

jclarkv
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2003, 08:15 AM

It's 0800 (EST) on September 17th. Where is the new client? Huh?

(I just wanted to be ahead of Shaktai for 5 minutes)

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by jclarkv:
It's 0800 (EST) on September 17th. Where is the new client? Huh?

(I just wanted to be ahead of Shaktai for 5 minutes)
Heh heh!

They said this afternoon, Eastern time. I'll be at work until 5or so Pacific time, so that should give you a couple of hours start, plus I have to fix my fastest box which is having network problems. (grrr - dang PC).

Just keep checking the website. When it comes back up, the downloads should be ready. Enjoy your lead while you can.

jclarkv
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2003, 09:14 PM

21:12 Eastern time. I got the new client, but the servers don't seem to be accepting new registrations yet.

The installers are at http://www.sengent.com/ddesign/installers/D2OL/

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 10:57 PM

21:12 Eastern time. I got the new client, but the servers don't seem to be accepting new registrations yet.

The installers are at http://www.sengent.com/ddesign/installers/D2OL/
almost 2300 EDT, and the servers still seem to be overloaded. Since MacOS has Java built in, it doesn't have to be downloaded, but most of the older clients were running Java 1.3x and the new client requires 1.4.x so a lot of folks (Windows users) are probably having to download the client versions with Java included, which is huge in size. Well it is good to see that folks are at least jumping into it. I've got 6 machines to get up and running before bed.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 03:05 AM

Okay, I have discovered that the G5 log-in bug isn't a G5 bug at all. It is a Java 1.4.1 update 1 bug. The beta client had no problems, but between the beta and the final release I ran the new Java 1.4.1, update 1, and sure enough there was the log-in bug.

So what is the log-in bug? Well when you first go to setup a new node for the first time, at one point in the process you must type in your e-mail address that is used to register your stats. Well the java in 10.2.7 that ships with the G5s is the same as the Java 1.4.1 update released on 9/8/2003. What happens is that the e-mail log-in window jumps to the back instead of being the active window. If you click on it, it will momentarily become the active window but then will immediately jump to the back again. Dammed annoying!

The trick is to click on the window and type one letter of your e-mail. You have to click on the window again, as you type each letter. (no you cannnot hold the window forward by click and holding.) So it is click the window and type a letter, click the window and type a letter. The good part is that once you get past that point, the new client runs like a charm, and you only have to go through that once for each Mac node. Linux and Windows aren't affected.

If you haven't installed the Java 1.4.1 update, then you shouldn't have the problem.

DrBoar
Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 10:03 AM

I got past the email typing by doing a cut and paste

I did run into trouble after updating my two nodes on my dual box. Now I can only start one D2OL client, regardless if I start "SengentD2OLnode1"or "SengentD2OLnode2" I get the same node number and only one DockWin.exe running. It appears that the preferences is stored in user/lib/pref/SengentD2OL.plist

In 10.3 I will be able to run two clients by having two users with one client each, I assume, but is there a way to run two clients in prior OS versions

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by DrBoar:

I did run into trouble after updating my two nodes on my dual box. Now I can only start one D2OL client, regardless if I start "SengentD2OLnode1"or "SengentD2OLnode2" I get the same node number and only one DockWin.exe running. It appears that the preferences is stored in user/lib/pref/SengentD2OL.plist

In 10.3 I will be able to run two clients by having two users with one client each, I assume, but is there a way to run two clients in prior OS versions
Hmm! I didn't have a dual box to test on the beta, so that didn't get tested. I see you posted over on the forum, let's see if anyone else comes up with a solution.

jclarkv
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 05:21 PM

I chose to use the upgrade option in the installer for 2.0. How does it get my e-mail address to register the results under?

The SengentD2OL App's about box says the e-mail address is 'unknown'.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 10:55 PM

I chose to use the upgrade option in the installer for 2.0. How does it get my e-mail address to register the results under?

The SengentD2OL App's about box says the e-mail address is 'unknown'.
That is apparently a known issue due to differences in the clients. It just means it couldn't capture the address from theh old client. It isn't a problem though. Your node number is already registered under the e-mail address. When you update instead of a new install, then you keep the same node number.

However I don't see you coming up under the stats, and you should have a bunch by now. Have you checked the status monitor to see what is happening? Are your stats uploading.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 10:58 PM

Did you see Daniels response in the D2OL forums yet? Apparently the trick is to make sure each client is in its own unique directory. Or in other words, if both are installed in applications, just create a folder with a different name for each and drag each client into its own unique folder. Then restart. Give it a try and let us know if it works.

jclarkv
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 11:20 PM

Had to work today after all, so didn't get a chance to install the 2.0 client on the G5 until this evening. What stats are you looking at?

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 12:28 AM

Had to work today after all, so didn't get a chance to install the 2.0 client on the G5 until this evening. What stats are you looking at?
The D2OL project page stats at http://d2ol.sengent.com/stats/topMembers.jsp Of course if you hadn't gotten it going yet that would explain it.

FYI: Currently while the stats page updates 2-3 times an hour, the clients only auto upload every 6 hours. However you can do a manual upload on demand, which will reset your particular nodes cycle of upload to 6 hours from the most recent update. The period is set by the server. That way they can manage server load from that end. Once the heavy update load is past, they can increase the auto upload freqency if they like.

The new client can cache up to 2000 work units. Even with the fastest boxes out there, that is enough to go off line and keep crunching for a couple of weeks. It is too early to tell for sure, but I think I am seeing a slight performance boost with the new Mac Client.

DrBoar
Senior User
Sep 19, 2003, 09:11 AM

The "Quote" function is acting up so:

By Shaktai "Did you see Daniels response in the D2OL forums yet? Apparently the trick is to make sure each client is in its own unique directory. Or in other words, if both are installed in applications, just create a folder with a different name for each and drag each client into its own unique folder. Then restart. Give it a try and let us know if it works."

No it does not work, I assume that 1.2 had the preference file internaly in the D2OL bundle and that 2.0 use a "proper" prefrerenece file in that .plist thing. Hoping for a simple text file i did open the plist but it is not as simple as those unreal and 3dfx setting files of the past

I now did the following
1. Installed client
2. Moved client to folder1
3. Installed client (terminated setup)
4. moved the client to folder2
5. Started setup from client in folder 2
The setup then creates a folder "SengentD2OL" and cant find the net
Shuffling around different SengentD2OL show that each has to download its material when in application folder, but they interchange to the lastest node number

My interpretation
A. SengentD2OL has to be in the application folder to start properly.
B. Work units are stored in the SengentD2OL bundle not in the .plist
C. Node number is stored in the .plist

I wish the installer script
1. Let you install in a folder in applications
2. create SengentD2OL2.plist when a SengentD2OL.plist is alredy present

Come to think about it with only one SengentD2OL.plist 10.3 and multiple users active will not help running two D2OL clients

With quite a fair number of duals running X I hope that they fix it in the client

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 12:48 AM

My interpretation
A. SengentD2OL has to be in the application folder to start properly.
B. Work units are stored in the SengentD2OL bundle not in the .plist
C. Node number is stored in the .plist
I'm am going to play with this some this weekend. I think I see what you mean.

A. You may be correct, I am testing that.
B. Yes, work units are stored in the package (bundle).
C. No. The Node number is stored in the node.prp file. That is also located in the package, inside the "MacOS" then "res" folder. (it is encrypted, so just looks like gibberish if you open the file) To get to it though, you can "Control Click" on the package (bundle) and select show contents.

DrBoar
Senior User
Sep 20, 2003, 03:14 AM

I tried run the installer for the latest java to intall it on 10.1.5, it refused. So now 1800 MHz out of my total 3450 Mhz is out of D2OL

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 05:50 AM

I tried run the installer for the latest java to intall it on 10.1.5, it refused. So now 1800 MHz out of my total 3450 Mhz is out of D2OL
Well, I took it step by step with trying to get 2 instances of D2OL running at once. You are correct, it will not work. The old process is no longer effective. Apparently trying to do so corrupts one instance of the client, and it will only run with the latest node. Also it will not run in any directory except Applications.

I am going to report this in detail. Hopefully they can either find a fix to allow 2 clients or make the client so it recognizes multiple processors.

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 21, 2003, 01:53 PM

It took some pretty major hackery to run the old D2OL with 2 instances.
This is probably why I was number one, other folks didn't bother with all the BS.
Has anyone tried the old hacks to see if they work?
You had to alter the plists and app names so that it could coexist with itself, pretty silly.
Hardcoding locations is bad, figuring out which process is yours by name is bad.
Search for my old post and see if that applies.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2003, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by mikkyo:
It took some pretty major hackery to run the old D2OL with 2 instances.
This is probably why I was number one, other folks didn't bother with all the BS.
Has anyone tried the old hacks to see if they work?
You had to alter the plists and app names so that it could coexist with itself, pretty silly.
Hardcoding locations is bad, figuring out which process is yours by name is bad.
Search for my old post and see if that applies.
Mikkyo, I looked for that post (the detailed one) and couldn't find it. Maybe I will try again later today. However I vaguely remembered what you did and tried it from memory. However, the new "info.plist" is much more complicated then the old and my skills at diagnosis aren't quite at your level. (I agree that their programming of the Mac Clients leaves a lot to be desired. There is no reason to force it's install into the Applications folder. I have made my opinions known on that.)

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 08:01 PM

Ok so I installed the new D2OL.
Then I deleted it and reinstalled, and got the same node number.
Then I copied the app, renamed it and deleted the node.prp and got the same node number.
Then I deleted all instances of D2OL and reinstalled and got the same node number.
How do I force it to give me a node number?

The old client would at least generate a new node number when you launched a new version of it.

As noted before, you can't run 2 instances on the same machine cause you get the same node number for both clients.

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 09:45 PM

Ok.
How to Fix D2OL
Install D2OL on your computer
Set it all up
Quit it, not just the agent, but the app as well.
Make a new Folder in Applications called D2OL
Move your SengentD2OL app into the new D2OL folder.
So now you have
/Applications/D2OL/SengentD2OL

Open the D2OL folder
Control-Click on SengentD2OL app and choose Show Package Contents from the popup menu
A new window titled SengentD2OL opens with a Contents folder.
Open the Contents Folder and you will see
MacOS
Info.plist
Info.plist.bak
PkgInfo
Resources

Open the Info.plist in Property List Editor or TextEdit.
Under the Java section is a Properties section and a VMOptions section
You need to change the value of the string after the key
lax.root.install.dir
from
/Applications
to
/Applications/D2OL
Do the same for the VMOptions key 2 and change
-Dd2ol.resDir=/Applications/SengentD2OL.app/Contents/MacOS/res
to
-Dd2ol.resDir=/Applications/D2OL/SengentD2OL.app/Contents/MacOS/res

You are just adding the D2OL folder between Applications and the SengentD2OL.app
Save
Exit the editor

Launch you newly fixed D2OL app and make sure it runs.

Back in the Contents folder
Trash the Info.plist.bak
Duplicate the Info.plist and rename it to
Info.plist.bak
This is your new backup plist, just in case.

Then run the installer again and install D2OL as you normally would.
You may wish to make a D2OL2 folder in /Applications and repeat the above steps, except with D20L2 where needed, just for consistency.
Or leave it as it is.
Enjoy
( Last edited by mikkyo; Sep 23, 2003 at 10:34 PM. )

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 11:28 PM

Thanks mikkyo.

Also here is the response and the explanation from Charles, at the Rothberg Institute that handles the D2OL and TSC projects. Their fix is very similar to mikkyo's, it also includes how to do it for current nodes or new nodes.

Well, I have an answer and a work around. The answer is honest and the work around is several steps.This comes from the developer and I changed few words.

There is a bug in the InstallAnywhere product that we use preventing it from specifying the install location using a 1.4 JVM on Macs. We MUST use a 1.4 JVM, or the installation code will not run properly. The "bug" is that when trying to choose a location, IA abends. We need to upgrade to the Enterprise Edition of IA but this is cost prohibitive. Since we currently have to live with the bug, the decision was made to simply not allow Mac users to choose the location or name of the install and just default to the Application directory and the regular name. For most Mac users, this will not be a problem.

But not all of them. If you need to change the name or install multiple instances, here's the instructions.

1. Install it once. This will create an Applications/SengentD2OL package the true directory name is REALLY Applications/SengentD2OL.app).

2. If not already registered (a new node), do not register it yet.

3. Rename the package that was installed (the SengentD2OL directory, NOT the Application directory!) to something like SengentD2OL2. It can also optionally be moved to anywhere the user wants it instead of simply renaming it.

4. Install it again. This will again create an Applications/SengentD2OL directory.

5. Again, if not already registered (a new node), do not register it yet.

6. Both can be moved where ever the user wants to put them. However, there is one minor thing that needs to be done to compensate for a missing step due to the installer issue: Wherever the application ends up, it's Info.plist file MUST be modified to specify the correct resource directory ("res" directory). The Info.plist file lives here as a default: Applications/SengentD2OL.app/Contents/Info.plist

The last property (Under Java->VMOptions) in the Info.plist specifies the res directory which must be specified on Macs to the absolute path to the "res" directory. The default as installed is:

-Dd2ol.redDir=/Applications/SengentD2OL.app/Contents/MacOS/res

where ever the user moved or renamed the SengentD2OL.app directory must be specified correctly in this property for all installs.

7. Once both Info.plist files are correct, run both apps and register them (if not registered already).

Lastly note... if users already have one or more registered nodes, they will need to backup their node.prp files (located in the "res" directory). Once step 6 is done, users need only to copy the node.prp into the new res directory to avoid registering new node IDs. Just be certain that each node has a DISTINCT node.prp file (each node install MUST have its OWN node ID - using the same node.prp file for multiple nodes can lead to corrupt installs).
--------------------
Charles Beckius
D20L Forum Administrator

RealMac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 01:37 AM

FWIW, the transition to 2.x on this windows xp system has been virtually seamless.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by RealMac:
FWIW, the transition to 2.x on this windows xp system has been virtually seamless.
It has been pretty seamless on most systems, except some (few) old nodes that do not update properly. The Mac single processor units have also been mostly seamless with the upgrade. Only the duals were a problem and now we have a fix with two different explanations, but both should work. Of course Mikkyo came up with his fix pretty quickly, but at least this time around the D2OL staff was on the ball too, with answers.

FYI, Charles the new TSC/D2OL forum admin who replaced Ken is an "avid" DC'r himself. Once had 50+ seti CPUs running, but is now down to only 9 personal nodes running TSC.

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 03:06 PM

BTW, if you have just one D2OL app that you want to put somewhere other than /Applications (I have a Stuff partition on some of my machines that I keep things on I want to have around) you can move the SengentD2OL.app to your other partition and then create a soft link in /Applications to the real app.
Then you don't need to bother with the .plist stuff for just one instance.
An Alias won't work.
Using my case as an example, shut down D2OL, then copy SengentD2OL.app from /Applications to Stuff,
then delete the one in /Applications,
Then in Terminal do
ln -s /Volumes/Stuff/SengentD2OL.app /Applications/SengentD2OL.app
All done
Now you'll have what looks like an alias in your /Applications.
You can double-click either the soft link or the real app to start it up.
Later if you erase install a clean OS, you can just redo the soft link part and you are back running.

Forum Links
Forum Rules