Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X 10.1 Server problem: Question mark folder at boot & more!

OS X 10.1 Server problem: Question mark folder at boot & more!
BlingBling 3k12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2005, 01:05 PM

Hi all. I'm in a REAL bind right now, so I hope you guys can help!

Today our power backup for our server (Power Mac G3 Mini-tower, you know, the beige ones) and all our stuff in our networking closet went dead. Seeing as I'm the only one that was here that knew what all was going on, I decided to help fix it. I unplugged everything and gave it power. Everything runs great. Our OS X Server starts and comes up to the Login screen.

I don't know this information. I call the person who is in charge, explain, they say OK, and give me the info that I need. Sadly this info is wrong and doesn't work, so I told her that I would go grab the OS X Server Install CD's and reset the password of the Administrator account. Pop in the CD, change the password, take out, boot up.

It doesn't boot. Grey screen with a folder with a question mark on it! It was either a folder or a floppy, I cannot remember. I can hear the Hard Drive spinning up, trying to work, but then it dies out and starts again. I was like... oh... great... it's trying to look, finding nothing, and starting over again.

I put the CD's back in, go into Disk Utility, the drive shows up, click on the startup volume (Macintosh HD) and verify the disk. It found some problems. I repaired the disk, and re verified, it says it's OK. *phew*

Reboot, thinking this will fix it. Nope.

I put the install CD's back in and hope there's some sort of Archive & Install, like there is in 10.2 and 10.3. I don't see anything. It can "Update" the files on the disk, but I am not sure if this will erase all the users and settings, which I do not want to be responsible for. This is already going to be a hard one to explain.

My main question is, if I reinstall off the CD's, will I lose all the user accounts and settings?

I wish it had FireWire, then I could (hopefully?) boot it from my PowerBook (G4 Aluminum 1.5GHz) and try to salvage, just in case.

If you have any tips, PLEASE HELP!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Forum Links
Forum Rules