Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Power up, 8 seconds 'till chime?

Power up, 8 seconds 'till chime?
SLiMeX
Senior User
Oct 3, 2006, 01:01 PM

After pushing the power button on my MacBook, it takes nearly 8 seconds every time now (started yesterday) before the chime comes and then everything works fine. Should I be concerned? I am a bit worried because it seems like my week 20 macbook is the only one left that still works correctly. Up and until yesterday. Any ideas? Should I bring it to the Apple Store?

Previously, I had 22 second restarts and power-ups.

BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Finrock
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2006, 12:54 PM

I saw this on one of our MacBooks this morning. I haven't been able to get my hands on the machine to do some tests, but my other tech said resetting the PMU seemed to do the trick.

I will report back if I learn more.

-Finrock
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2006, 07:52 PM

I dealt with a PowerBook that had the problem...

It was one that had been completely dismantled & I was asked to try & put it back together... I actually thought it wasn't powering on until it finally did chime. Though since it worked I didn't bother trying to figure out if it should be taking that long...

All be it, if a MacBook is doing it, I would guess it isn't normal... All be it I don't really know what could be causing it... Though a PMU reset does seem like a good place to start...

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Oct 7, 2006, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the responses. I haven't reset the PMU but I did, however, uninstall Candybar. I'm back to 22 second restarts and boot-ups.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules