Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Plasma TV question

Plasma TV question
Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2006, 04:19 PM

Can someone please explain to me why the resolution of a 42” plasma tv is 1024x768 ? It seems that that is not the resolution for a screen with that aspect ratio, plus if you are going to watch native 720p content the resolution should be 1280x720. Regardless, I have noticed that the plasma picture quality seems better than LCD.

Thanks

Rumor
Dec 8, 2006, 04:22 PM

It has a more vibrant color at first but starts to fade.

Don't buy a plasma, it's already a dying technology.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 04:44 PM

TVs don't use square pixels.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
It has a more vibrant color at first but starts to fade.
Modern plasma's have a 60,000 hour half-life. That's 20 years at 8 hours a day.

Don't buy a plasma, it's already a dying technology.
They aren't dying at all. They are superior to LCD in color, black levels and response time and they are continually getting better and cheaper.

LCD's are great but so are plasmas, for different reasons.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Rumor
Dec 8, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Modern plasma's have a 60,000 hour half-life. That's 20 years at 8 hours a day.

They aren't dying at all. They are superior to LCD in color, black levels and response time and they are continually getting better and cheaper.

LCD's are great but so are plasmas, for different reasons.
Oh yeah? Well
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Steve Bosell  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
TVs don't use square pixels.
That could answer the aspect ratio question, but 720p = 1280x720 still does not make sense.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 8, 2006, 07:45 PM

Uh, yes it does. It's just scaling the 1280 down to 1024 pixels that are wider, and the 720 up to 768 shorter pixels.

You could make a set that is 10,000x250 if you wanted, and it could be anything from tall like a pencil to wide like a movie screen, depending on the shape of the pixels. (In fact, analog video has no fixed pixels, it's got a fixed number of horizontal lines, with the analog signal modulating what appears on that line. When you see the "number of lines" listed for an analog system, it's actually referring to horizontal resolution, or the number of identifiable pixels on a horizontal line. VHS, for example, was only around 250, so its resolution, in computer terms, is 250x480 -- more resolution on the shorter side than the long one!)

On a cheap plasma, you get that less-than-HD resolution, because it's cheap. For more money, you can step up to 1366x768 screens that actually show the full HD picture, or to really expensive full 1920x1080 ones that can show 1080i without scaling.

Plasma, because it uses phosphors, has the most CRT-like color, both in terms of outstanding color purity, black point, response time and viewing angle, and also in terms of comparatively low brightness and contrast.

LCDs, on the other hand, are the opposite: high contrast, very high brightness, but reduced viewing angle, response time, and color.

Both technologies have advantages and disadvantages, and because they are now competing over the same market, they're pushing their costs down while improving image quality.

The real question is, what's gonna happen when OLED TVs hit the streets?

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules