Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Will AutoFS finally fix OS X network drives?

Will AutoFS finally fix OS X network drives?
Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2007, 12:20 AM

AutoFS
Automatically mount and dismount network filesystems on separate threads to improve responsiveness and reliability.
My biggest gripe with OS X has always been how poorly it handles network drives. I frequently map network drives over wireless at home, close the lid take it to work, plug in a network cable, turn off airport, and the finder totally tanks, beach ball of death guaranteed, I need to hold down the power button half the time and reboot. Every version of Os X has claimed to fix this behavior, but there has only been slight improvements. I wonder if AutoFS really fixes it.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2007, 12:29 AM

Yes.
Vandelay Industries

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 02:44 AM

How about unmounting your network drives before you change networks? But yes, I agree, I hope AutoFS will help us out when we forget to unmount (which of course happens to me too).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 02:56 AM

This has been answered numerous times in these forums, and yes, that quote from the Apple page means it's fixed.

The link:
Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Features - 300+ New Features

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
How about unmounting your network drives before you change networks?
It's one of those things that's just really easy to forget. I've gotten myself beachballed the same way on several occasions.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Cold Warrior
Oct 20, 2007, 11:21 AM

It's about time. Anything to reduce Finder Suck is an improvement.

Steve Bosell  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
This has been answered numerous times in these forums, and yes, that quote from the Apple page means it's fixed.
I sure hope so, however I will believe it when I see it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 02:19 PM

The link:
Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Features - 300+ New Features

Since when are Apple's marketing quotes an authority on anything?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 20, 2007, 02:20 PM

Yes, for the love of Steve...will threads like these ever end?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 02:20 PM

I'm hoping that AutoFS will also speed up the amount of time it takes to switch back to an application that has a lock on a file stored on a network volume.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
Sorry, I fail to see a single thing wrong with this thread. A number of people here have been running pirated versions of Leopard, this is no secret.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 20, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Sorry, I fail to see a single thing wrong with this thread. A number of people here have been running pirated versions of Leopard, this is no secret.
This question has been answered by these 'pirates' ten times over. This thread is the 10th+ of its kind.

I also know that it won't be the last. Some other MacNN member will not read any posts and simply create a new one asking if AutoFS will INDEED fix their network mount nightmares.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 02:31 PM

I'm on here everyday and I find this thread no more repetitive than any other. There are a number of technical questions that are asked all the time that have been asked before (e.g. how to connect to a home computer behind a router from a work computer).

A number of people don't bother to search the forum, but often times the search doesn't do any good if you don't know what terms to search for, and frankly I find the search tool lacking in general (esp. with multi-page threads)... So, chill.. Being pedantic about this stuff is literally 100 times more annoying than just answering the question or leaving the thread.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 20, 2007, 02:34 PM

I'm on here everyday and I find this thread no more repetitive than any other. There are a number of technical questions that are asked all the time that have been asked before (e.g. how to connect to a home computer behind a router from a work computer).

A number of people don't bother to search the forum, but often times the search doesn't do any good if you don't know what terms to search for, and frankly I find the search tool lacking in general (esp. with multi-page threads)... So, chill.. Being pedantic about this stuff is literally 100 times more annoying than just answering the question or leaving the thread.
Oh, well if YOU say it, then it MUST be okay to start threads about subjects that have already been covered extensively before. And because YOU say that the search tool is lacking, then it MUST be true. I just feel sorry for the people run forums and see storage space getting eaten up by thread repeats. Of course, I'm not helping by posting something that brings no value other than trying to drive a point across that this type of stuff has to end here.

If the MacNN admins don't care to have multiple thread repeats, then fine. I do remember getting 'MacNN servers are busy' messages lately though.

And another thing...what do pirates have to do with anything? If the Steve Bosell can't get the answer to his question from Apple's own web page why should he believe people on MacNN? And if he *does* believe people on MacNN then it would have been super easy to search for AutoFS and find a thread with AutoFS discussions.

You find the search tool lacking but I typed in 'AutoFS' and found 6 threads and almost all of them had answers on the first page. And often times you were the one providing the answer.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Oct 20, 2007 at 02:43 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 02:57 PM

Whatever Horse, it's just not worth getting upset about. Life is too short.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 07:13 PM

Since when are Apple's marketing quotes an authority on anything?
They don't.

However, as you may note, I mentioned that THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED NUMEROUS TIMES IN THIS FORUM.

Mostly by people who have been, indeed, running pre-release versions of Leopard since long before those marketing quotes went online.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2007, 02:21 AM

They don't.

However, as you may note, I mentioned that THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED NUMEROUS TIMES IN THIS FORUM.

Mostly by people who have been, indeed, running pre-release versions of Leopard since long before those marketing quotes went online.

I'm just glad you haven't read many of the other threads where people post a question that has been answered before...

It's really not a big deal.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
I'm sorry, you'll have to start another thread to ask that question.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules