Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > My iPhone dilemma

My iPhone dilemma
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 12:50 PM

This topic may or may not have been discussed before, but I'll go ahead with it.

I got a job a couple months ago that doesn't necessarily require a smart phone, but having one would be really handy. The new iPhone is just around the corner. Great, right? Well, not so much for me. I'm currently under contract with US Cellular (far and away the best coverage of any provder in my area, believe it or not.) I have no problem paying the early termination fee and all and switching over. However, my area doesn't exactly have stellar ATT coverage (zipcode 54601). It's enough to make calls and the reception is mediocre, but there is absolutely no 3g coverage within 50-100 miles of me. I guess 3g isn't an absolute necessity to me, but the lack of solid coverage is definitely a concern. So would it make sense for me to terminate my current contract ($175) and sign up with ATT and get the new iPhone ($300)? It just feels like I'm sacrificing some of the esstianls of having a phone just to get the device I want, even though it won't be utilized to it's full potential (no 3g). Ughh, stupid ATT.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2008, 12:57 PM

You could search for a used 2G iPhone on craigslist or something. I expect prices for a used iPhone to drop after Friday.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by cwosigns View Post
You could search for a used 2G iPhone on craigslist or something. I expect prices for a used iPhone to drop after Friday.
I kinda considered that. What's the benefit of the new iPhone other than 3g and a new design (I personally like the first design better anyways). The rest is essntially a software update, isn't it?
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 01:20 PM

Also, I'd personally rather surf on Wi Fi and have the ability to surf on a slower data network as opposed to what I have now.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Lionsblade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
I kinda considered that. What's the benefit of the new iPhone other than 3g and a new design (I personally like the first design better anyways). The rest is essntially a software update, isn't it?
Right, and the software should be available as an upgrade (for free for iPhone users, I've heard $10 for us Touch users) so that you can utilize the app store, etc. One of the guys I know bought his first gen iPhone after the 3G was announced, and I believe plans to upgrade to take full advantage of the software, but won't really need the 3G coverage since it's minimal in our area as well.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 01:26 PM

I'm usually in one of the areas that has 3g coverage about once a month. So it's no big deal having 3g capability. Then again, the new iPhone is relatively cheap. I can hardly see a first gen iPhone being so much cheaper that it'd make sense to go that route. Hmm, I guess time will tell.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2008, 04:33 PM

Your sig is awfully long.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 07:06 PM

I've never noticed. I figured a line of text wasn't as obnoxious as most peoples' images. Oh well.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

laxthxdude
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2008, 11:30 PM

Don't know where you're at for ATT but I'm in La Crosse and have solid ATT coverage. In fact, they just lite up a new tower at the airport 2 weeks ago with more coming online in July / August. No 3G yet but the engineers are currently mapping out 3G coverage for La Crosse, Green Bay, Appleton and Oshkosh (or so I've been told). If you want more detailed coverage info, let me know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules