Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > People making money in the design industry

People making money in the design industry
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 12:07 AM

Just a few questions for those of you who would consider yourselves successful in this industry.

Did you have a formal education, meaning did you go to college for graphic design or is this something you more or less picked up on your own?

What advice would you give to a fledgling young graphic designer? My aim really is to get some advice from people are profitable doing that they do.

What is your business philosophy, how have you distinguished yourselves from the other guys out there?

Looking back, what if anything would you change along the way to make youself more successful? TIA
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 01:09 AM

I'm not exactly a professional or anything, but I'll chime in a lil.

I learned most of my designing skills on my own, though I did go to school to get a formal degree. Not much was learned in school that I didn't already know.

Some advice I'll give is don't expect to get hired right away...I'm having that exact problem right now, the market around Ohio here is terrible. I am trying to work my way into small places, but its still tough.

Hope some of it helps.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2003, 04:10 PM

I've been working "professionally" for about 4 years now. I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts (in Visual Design) degree from a 4 year university.

I would say that I learned most of my "design skills" on my own. College was more of a formal thing for me, just so I could get that piece of paper to show I did the work. I've learned more from experience than I learned from college. That's not to say that I regret college at all. It was a good decision, and it has already helped me out.

As far as advice, I would say do what you love to do. Pick an area of study, and go with it. There are many different areas of design one can focus on. I focused on print design, since it is something I really enjoy. I am technically a Graphic Designer, but I consider myself more of a Production Artist. I really enjoy the production side of things. So that's where I'm leading my career as of now. My aim is to become the best Production Artist in the West!

Also, I think employers like it more when someone is specialized in some specific area. This is not to say to ignore other areas, but to be really kickass in one area is a plus.

My philosophy? Not sure exactly. I just do what I do, and try to do it as best as I possibly can. My philosophy of work tends to get in the way of my philosophy of my career. I put work in the background of my life, and life in the foreground. Work is a necessary evil for me. I try to make it as little a part of my life as possible.

Looking back, I think I might've chosen a different school. I might have gone more towards a design school, rather than a university. Universities don't offer that specialized focused program that design schools do. Other than that, I am still a rookie in the professional world, so I don't have that much more I would change.

Steb Mad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 04:35 PM

I don't consider us as a successful designers in the industry but I can say that we're getting good pay from it.

I believe that the best way to learn is to play with it on your own. Don't let anyone telling what you can/can't do. With no rules in place, you could produce something that no one have thought of. Beethoven cannot hear and doesn't know what sounds really sound like but he was able to produce beautiful sound.

Start small by offering free web, graphic, icon design, etc. As you develop more skills, you can start charging for them. Portfolio is the key to your success.

I agree with OptimusG4 about college not much of help. They only teach you basic stuffs to get you started. I was a student at RIT for one and half years but left as it's major time-wasting for me.

-Adam Betts
( Last edited by Steb Mad; Jun 24, 2003 at 04:43 PM. )

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 01:02 AM

NON-RULE #1 - There are no rules. Anyone who tells you there are is full of ****. Many of the country's hottest art directors and designers do not have college degrees. They are people whp know how the biz works and have found the way around the usual steps. And, in the end, their talent carries them. That said, I believe there is no substitute for an education regardless of talent.

NON-RULE #2 - Set your own course for happiness. For example, maroma has found production to be his / her place. That's great. The design / ad community NEEDS enthusiastic production people like him / her more than we need more designers / art directors. And, if it floats your boat, all the better. In school you'll definetly come across people who will push award quality work on you. My advice is to listen but follow your instincts and interests rather than the crowd.

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 06:50 PM

Im no world famous designer by any means, but for whatever it's worth - I make my living doing it.
I never took one class in any computer design applications.
I merely tought myself.

IMO if you're a good listener and a natural problem solver, you will be a good designer.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Eyenovation:
IIMO if you're a good listener and a natural problem solver, you will be a good designer.
Well put.

And that can be applied to many things.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 10:09 PM

IMO if you're a good listener and a natural problem solver, you will be a good designer.
only part of the equation, albeit a major part.

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by art_director:
only part of the equation, albeit a major part.
You are right, art_director. At school you get a lot of the basic knowledge and you learn the rules you will break later.
I have a Bachelor in Civil Engineering and started working in graphic design because I always liked it. After a year doing graphics, I went back to school and found there the answer to many questions I had and the solution to many problems I found on the way.

If you are naturally talented, good. If you help yourself with some education, better. And learn from the masters.
There is no spoon

aprilcarter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2003, 06:45 PM

Im no world famous designer by any means, but for whatever it's worth - I make my living doing it.
I never took one class in any computer design applications.
I merely tought myself.

A bit of natural creativity and talent helps.

I think if someone wants to learn, they'll learn on their own and not simply at the request of a teacher. As well, I think a diploma has little to do with whether someone is intelligent, logical, or good at their job. People who have drive and other traits to benefit employees will find places to work (okay, so that's not the truth for people whose jobs depend on educational certification, but it's pretty much true for this industry).

RealMac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by aprilcarter:
A bit of natural creativity and talent helps.

I think if someone wants to learn, they'll learn on their own and not simply at the request of a teacher. As well, I think a diploma has little to do with whether someone is intelligent, logical, or good at their job. People who have drive and other traits to benefit employees will find places to work (okay, so that's not the truth for people whose jobs depend on educational certification, but it's pretty much true for this industry).
I think you hit the nail on the head there April. I have a friend / business partner in Australia who hasn't recieved much in regard to formal training but he has so much passion for what he's doing. Almost in a Jonathan Ives like fashion.

It's great to work with him because he articulates what he wants to see in a project so clearly. He's quite successful also.

At the supermarket I worked with a guy who has a year left in college, chose graphic design as his major. He has close to $100k in student loans to pay back and is wondering if he chose the right thing to do.

It is in my opinion that to some extent, colleges suck the motivation out of their students. You know, having a lot of theory or specialization with one program, but not teaching the students about what it takes to make it in the real world. Paying too much attention to something that has very little to do with actually getting clients. Any thoughts there?
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 03:14 PM

I think finding a school that actually teaches you design principles is important in going from the step of "solving problems and listening well" to becoming a really good designer. Unfortunately, I'm not at that second step yet.

However, I do get paid nicely for the web design work I do, and that's what keeps me coming back to it. I also love to make web pages, it's something I'd be doing anyway, so getting paid for it is icing.

Finding a good class that will teach you design principles - shape, color, composition, contrast, etc. - is much more important than taking a class in Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Unless professional designers are dropping their jaws at your designs, you can probably learn a thing or two about lots of design topics.

If you can express yourself with markers well, you can eventually learn how to get that onto the computer without too much work. And if you're already posting on online message boards, you're most likely already proficient enough with a number of programs to start making some interesting designs.

However, having a good interaction with clients is something you won't learn in school. If possible, get some clients while you're still in school - and don't expect to be charging an arm and a leg. Maybe don't even expect to charge anything... but if you're doing work for a real company, odds are they'll think they're getting a "good deal" if you charge them a lower-than-average price, rather than they think you're "just doing some school work" if you're doing it for free. If you're giving it away, it couldn't be worth that much, right?

And I do agree that too much education can suck the creativity right out of you. Getting a two year degree or something is not a bad idea, though. If you're unsure about what to do next, education is never a bad idea. Try to limit the amount of loans, though... $100k of loans is a hella lotta money, especially for a beginning designer.

gadster
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by RealMac:
Just a few questions for those of you who would consider yourselves successful in this industry.

Did you have a formal education, meaning did you go to college for graphic design or is this something you more or less picked up on your own?
I worked in the printing biz for a few years (after being a bio-lab technician). I always loved drawing, but never believed I was any good. At the insistence of a friend, I applied for the best design course in the country and got in! They took 120 students out of 3,500 applicants.

I studied there part-time until I got a design job, then I dropped out. It was too many hours (6 -9pm, 4 nights a week, plus the full-time job at the printing place). I have no discipline. Plus I had 4 girlfriends.

You really learn everything on the job, but you *do* need to study design. There is always the library, and magazines. The library is better, much better. Designers have had to solve the same problems since the year dot, there is much to be learned by reading their stories. Look also at industrial design, architecture and interior design for inspiration.

What advice would you give to a fledgling young graphic designer? My aim really is to get some advice from people are profitable doing that they do.
My advice would be for you to work out why you want to design. Kudos? To help people sell stuff? To be a design superstar? To promote a political viewpoint? To save the whales?

It wouldn't hurt to get some sales training. Look in the classifieds for one of those double-glazing sales persons ads. Or selling encyclopaedia, or something. They'll employ anyone and you will get an insight into the sales process. Attention, Interest, Conviction, Desire, Close. That type of stuff.

If you can really understand what your REAL motivation is, that will help guide you.

What is your business philosophy, how have you distinguished yourselves from the other guys out there?
My business philosophy is to do the best job I can do, given the time frame and the budget. You gotta learn how to ask what the budget is without arousing suspicion. I takes practise.

And the way I distinguish myself is just by being me and being very, very fast.

Looking back, what if anything would you change along the way to make youself more successful? TIA
I just wish I'd gotten into it earlier.

Hope this helps, and I wish you well on your journey.
e-gads

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by RealMac:
You know, having a lot of theory or specialization with one program, but not teaching the students about what it takes to make it in the real world. Paying too much attention to something that has very little to do with actually getting clients. Any thoughts there?
I am still a very, very, VERY bitter ex-mica student.

idyll
Senior User
Jul 4, 2003, 01:58 PM

To Break the Rules You Must Know Them. I would rather trust people who have written books and have been in the field for more than 20 years than someone who is just starting out and tells me that rules don't make a difference. They do. Whether you use them to your advantage or not is your choice.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by idyll:
To Break the Rules You Must Know Them. I would rather trust people who have written books and have been in the field for more than 20 years than someone who is just starting out and tells me that rules don't make a difference. They do. Whether you use them to your advantage or not is your choice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules