Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Dual Monitor Setup

iBook Dual Monitor Setup
SLiMeX
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 05:46 PM

I tried searching and found nothing that really related to what I want to get the answers for.

I have a 14" Compaq Presario 1600 laptop (running XP), as well as (looking at my signature) a 14" iBook 900. I can't figure out how to have the "one big monitor" look/spanned desktop. I thought I was supposed to go to Syst. Prefs > Displays and mess around there, but I really couldn't figure it out. Do I need to install some program onto the XP machine to make it be the slave monitor? I have one of the iBook external monitor cables. Am I using the right cable? Please help - if you have any questions, please ask. Help out a n00b.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 05:53 PM

This cannot be done - connecting the two video out ports on the two computers will do nothing. There is no way to do this.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 06:19 PM

Really? I guess your right, but the cable the external monitor cable goes into was used for quite some time to connect PC and monitor.

I found this image of the same laptop off Google - - and I am connecting the cable to the blue one (2nd from right) - but it has an "in" one, too.. I think? Its the one directly to the right of the blue one. Does this help clarify/pinpoint my problem?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 06:38 PM

The Blue connector is a VGA out connector - this will allow you to connect your windows laptop to an external monitor. Your iBook also has one of these on the end of the small white adaptor that plugs into the end port on your iBook, again, to attach your iBook to a regular display.

The ''in'' port you are refering to on your windows laptop is a serial port. This is an old style port that was used in the past for connecting mice and other pc peripherals. There are very few devices that now use serial connectors.

Therefore, again, in answer to your main question, what you want to do cannot be done.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 06:56 PM

HarrisJamieh, you are kingly.

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2006, 03:31 PM

You can, however, connect your iBook to a regular monitor and span the displays that way (like on a PowerBook). The spanning feature is turned off, but it can be activated via software. Not sure if this is what you would settle for, but it's cool, and simple...and free (if you have a desktop display/monitor).

Span Two Screens with Your iBook, iMac, or eMac
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules