Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple's dead pixel policy?

Apple's dead pixel policy?
greenamp
Mac Elite
May 2, 2006, 02:18 PM

So I finally break down and get a 23" cinema display. No color casts or anything, except it has a clump of about 4-5 dead pixels just left of center.

Does Apple typically exchange for this? Will they just let me exchange it at the Apple store since I bought it there? Should I just go down to a 20"?

Thanks in advance.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 04:06 PM

Apple hasn't stated an official policy, but the rumors say 5 - 8 pixels minimum depending on dead/stuck and clumped/dispersed.
It's worth trying to exchange at the Apple store you bought it from. A 20" isn't any less likely to have dead pixels on a per-pixel basis.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2006, 04:19 PM

I've heard tales you can (gently) massage the area to bring those pixels back to life.

Never tried it, but have heard this many many times. YMMV.

(I did say gently, right?)

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 2, 2006, 05:04 PM

I got a 17" Studio Display years ago with a stuck pixel right in the middle. I called them and they said the minimum was 5 pixels. That may have changed, though, or it may be a sort of sliding scale based on size. You could also argue that a clump of them is more disruptive than if they were scattered.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 05:29 PM

If I were you I wouldn't accept that many. For sure go and try to get a new one.

Personally I will crack it open in the store before buying it to make sure it is all good. So far I have never had a dead pixel on the many lcd's I own.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

greenamp  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2006, 09:03 PM

Well I was able to exchange it for a new one after all, but they weren't exactly very willing at first.

The genius guy tried to tell me it was only 1 dead pixel, and then proceeded to recite the dead pixel "anomaly" speech for me. I told him there's no way it's just 1 dead, as I probably wouldn't notice just 1 dead pixel on a 23" display at 1920x1200 resolution. "I just see one, and in my opinion that's an acceptable limit" he says.

Well, I'm being polite but firm, so I respond that it's clearly more than just one, and either way for $1200 that annoying black dot right in the dead center of the screen is not an acceptable limit for me. He went to talk to his manager, and she says they will allow me to exchange it "just this once." I say ok but insist on plugging it up 1st before taking it home.

The funny part of this story was what the manager told me upon checking out: "If there's something about this one that you don't like, then maybe Apple displays are not right for you."
She totally said that with a straight face. I just laughed and asked her if Apple displays aren't right for me, then what is? She didn't say anything.

I wasn't even rude and they treat me like that, geez. I laughed it off though, and told my wife that Apple Store tried to break up with me, and gave me the "it's not you it's me" line. LOL.

Anyway no dead pixels or color casts on this one. Everything is great. Thanks for the advice guys.
( Last edited by greenamp; May 2, 2006 at 09:56 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules