Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help connecting to a windows share

Help connecting to a windows share
mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2007, 10:57 AM

Here's what I'm trying to do:

1) connect to a Windows 2003 server via VPN (this step works)
2) connect to a network share on that 2003 server (this doesn't).

Right now to get to this network share I have to fire up XP on my MBP and VPN in, and connect to the share. The reason I can't get to the share on OS X is b/c when I try getting to the share and am prompted for the password, I can't get the username to be accepted. The username is in the format DOMAIN\username, not just plain "username".

Does anyone know how I can get this working? I don't mind firing up XP to do this, but I would rather stay in OS X as all I"m really doing in XP is connecting, and copying over files I need to work on, and copying them back when I'm done.

Thanks in advance.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Gavin
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 12:35 AM

OS X uses samba to network with windows - it has command line tools for testing connections and logins.

You can fire up the terminal and use smbclient to list shares, log in etc. It will give you info on what is really going on.

Chapter�1.�How to Install and Test SAMBA
Chapter�39.�Analyzing and Solving Samba Problems
Chapter�38.�The Samba Checklist

IIRC there is also a log file you can look at for more info in /var/log/samba/log
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

mpancha  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2007, 09:24 AM

Gavin >> thanks for the links, however, I'm not just getting to a regular windows share via Samba. OS X handles those beautifully. The computer I am accessing is on a Domain (I'll call it MacNN for example). In windows when I connect to the particular share, when I am prompted for the username I use the format : DOMAIN\username (i.e.: MacNN\mpancha) and it will check for the user "mpancha" on the domain "MacNN" to see if I have access to that particular share.

My problem is, getting the Domain\username to pass through on OS X' implementation of Samba via the Finder. I use this particular share about once every few weeks, but due to restructuring at the company, I'm going to have to access it more. That's really the only reason I want to access this via OSX instead of XP, save a few minutes each time I access the share.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 02:28 PM

When you connect to a share, doesn't Mac OS X pop up a window for you asking you for three things: Domain, Username, and Password?

larkost
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 02:42 PM

The most common problem is that they have the requirement for "connection signing" turned on on the server. This is the default state on Windows Server 2003. There are some rumors that 10.5 will change this, but that does not help you for 10.3/10.4. The other option is to buy <a href="http://www.thursby.com/products/admitmac.html">ADmit Mac</a> and that puts in connection signing for 10.3/10.4. It might require you to connect up to the AD server as well, but I generally think that is a good idea (I do that without ADmit Mac).

mpancha  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2007, 08:44 PM

ginoledsma >> I do see the three options when I connect to the 2k3 servers I set up. .HOwever this one is administered by someone else, and I don't get the domain option on its shares.

larkost >> that sounds familiar, I think I changed an option in 2003 on the servers I configured helping me bypass a few problems, those however were not AD machines. I'll look into AdmitMac like you suggested, but for now, its the weekend, and no more worrying about the office this week.

PartialPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 09:43 PM

Have you tried using VPN on your Mac first then Apple K 'ing to get to the server? If you have to VPN using XP you will have to VPN on your Mac also to get to that share.

I really don't think you should be even getting challenged for authentication though. It should not let you get that far of you need to VPN into this server.

Ask whoever administers that server if he/she has any non-default settings on that share.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 10:34 PM

Have you tried setting information about your Windows domain in the Directory Access app?

Forum Links
Forum Rules