Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicktime MOV conversion from digicam video

Quicktime MOV conversion from digicam video
mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2007, 09:44 AM

I took a video of our baby yesterday on our digicam (was the closest thing I had), and wanted to post in my my "keep in touch with family" blog. I used quicktime and converted the camera's file (___.avi) to a .mov file so I could embed it as quicktime.

I have the video playing on my laptop now via safari, it loads up the little in browser quicktime video, and plays b/c I have Perian installed. On Windows, I believe it will play with DivX plugins. THe problem though is, or maybe its just my lack of understanding.... if I used quicktime to convert the file to a .MOV file (I went to Save As, and chose MOV).. shouldn't it just be an MOV file? Or, is MOV just like AVI in that its just a wrapper for whatever format, and you still need the appropriate plugin to play the actual file since MOV is just a wrapper?
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2007, 11:56 AM

.avi, .mov, mp4, those are all container formats for whatever codec is used for the media inside. When you use QuickTime Player choose File->Export instead of File->Save As and there select Movie->QuickTime Movie or Movie->MPEG-4 and in the Options you can select H.264 for the video codec and AAC for the audio. That's the most efficient option, but requires QuickTime 7. If you want to be more compatible use QuickTime Movie with Sorenson 3 as the codec.

Forum Links
Forum Rules