Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Terminator (the series)

Terminator (the series)
greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 11:02 PM

Anyone watching this? It's surprisingly good. I'm glad I didn't go with my first reactions about this show and gave it a chance. The current episode, "Queen's Gambit" was excellent.

Let's talk about it?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 11:27 PM

I watched the season premiere free iTunes download. Not bad.

Cipher13
Feb 12, 2008, 11:29 PM

I've seen up to episode 4, and have been pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect it to be any good at all but it hasn't been bad so far... Summer Glau helps with that.

greenamp  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I watched the season premiere free iTunes download. Not bad.
You can watch them all free on Fox.com. Quality is decent.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 11:44 PM

Summer Glau's acting sucks. That said, I still like Summer Glau in the show.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2008, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
I've seen up to episode 4, and have been pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect it to be any good at all but it hasn't been bad so far... Summer Glau helps with that.

It is what it is -- and that's not a summer blockbuster movie with a gazillion dollar budget. I, too, have been pleasantly suprised.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 12:08 AM

I like it. The fast forward didn't bother me much, and I thought it was good to make it more contemporary.

I got a kick out of the 888 jumping when the cell phone vibrated. Oh, and I loved the line "I call 9mm."
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2008, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Oh, and I loved the line "I call .22."
She called 9mm. Sarah called shotgun.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 12:14 AM

Dang, you beat me to my edit -- I knew that didn't look right when I typed it! I left the page and was like, why would she want a .22? Squirrels?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2008, 12:15 AM

Dang, you beat me to my edit -- I knew that didn't look right when I typed it! I left the page and was like, why would she want a .22? Squirrels?
lol

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
She called 9mm. Sarah called shotgun.
Um, John called shotgun?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2008, 12:20 AM

John was driving.

greenamp  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2008, 12:25 AM

I think Summer is doing a decent job in the role. My suspicions are that her quirky acting fits somehow into what type of Terminator robot she is, as in, not a reprogramed job but one built from scratch by future John, possibly modeled after a wife or lover. There seems to be subtle foreshadowing that she is differently self aware than the others.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
John was driving.
Not in the one I saw. Sarah picked them both up from school for a "field trip" to chase the armored car. Why would John be driving, he didn't even know where they were going?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 01:06 AM

I never miss it. I can't have enough robots on TV, and Cameron is easy on the eyes but more importantly I am a fan of the whole Terminator story.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
You can watch them all free on Fox.com. Quality is decent.
The resolution is 1130x640 to be more precise. It is a feat for a Flash video decoder.

greenamp  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2008, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
The resolution is 1130x640 to be more precise. It is a feat for a Flash video decoder.
And it seems to go lower or higher depending on the feed to keep the stream continuous.

Cold Warrior
Feb 13, 2008, 02:04 AM

I liked the pilot episode. I've somehow managed to miss the others, but I'll catch up.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 02:18 AM

The series has been surprisingly good so far!

Summer Glau has her share of eerie indifference and butt-kicking moments (a la River Tam) and quirky android-like misbehavior (a la Trek's Data) that's very fun to watch. Lena Headey is fine enough, a bit overly motherly, but definitely no Linda Hamilton. And the actor who plays John has upped his performance from the cheerleader's muggle sidekick in Heroes, but he's still too much of a whiny kid and I'm not seeing a future leader of humanity in him just yet (although this last week's episode made good progress in character development).

I love the genre, but Terminator is definitely fluff sci-fi that's fun but can't be taken too seriously. As with the rest of the Terminator series, the writers play very loose with temporal mechanics so don't go into the show trying figure out any linear continuity because the whole premise of the show is a paradox. The fast-forward is really the least of the show's problems.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2008, 10:28 AM

I've been watching the series. I still really don't know how I feel about it. I'm not hooked (like I was for instance with BattleStar Galactica), but I've shelled out $6 so far (and $2 more today for the next ep.) so I'm not giving up on it quite yet.

Glau's terminator is... interesting. I think first episode showed that she very much can act, but it seems like it's been dialed down a bit since then.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

kelso
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2008, 10:36 AM

I love the series. I was quite surprised. It helps that the girl terminator is hot.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 10:37 AM

It's a stupid premise. We know what happens in it. I watched the first 15 minutes of the pilot and rolled my eyes and didn't keep up with it.

Seriously, how many times do they have to keep sending Terminators back? These things can kill millions of people but they can't kill Sarah or John Connor?

Why not go back in time earlier? I mean, they know how to find her. Leave a message for the future on where she lives, kill her when she's like 5 years old.

So dumb. Time travel premises have way too many holes for their own good.

EDIT: Also, in the original T2 story (which was storyboarded, but not filmed), they send back the good Arnie and then destroy the time machine. So again, the premise is dumb. The whole point about T2 is that it was THE END.

And no, I never saw T3.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 10:57 AM

Well, when you put it that way, they really should have stopped at the original Terminator movie. It would have made for a nice closed temporal causality loop and every sequel just further confuses the timeline beyond reason. Same with this show. I hate bad time travel stories, but like I said, it's fluff -- don't think too seriously about it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 10:58 AM

I thought T3 was pretty much on par with T2 overall.

T2 always felt to me to really be about the new fangled liquid special effect primarily.

Yeah, the first one was the definitive one, and the best.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 11:10 AM

The original is the best. A classic. The second movie was a fun, mindless action movie that crapped on everything they did in the first movie.

The third was terrible and the two episodes of the TV show I saw were a step below that.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Cipher13
Feb 13, 2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
It's a stupid premise. We know what happens in it. I watched the first 15 minutes of the pilot and rolled my eyes and didn't keep up with it.

Seriously, how many times do they have to keep sending Terminators back? These things can kill millions of people but they can't kill Sarah or John Connor?

Why not go back in time earlier? I mean, they know how to find her. Leave a message for the future on where she lives, kill her when she's like 5 years old.

EDIT: Also, in the original T2 story (which was storyboarded, but not filmed), they send back the good Arnie and then destroy the time machine. So again, the premise is dumb. The whole point about T2 is that it was THE END.

And no, I never saw T3.
Yes, the premise is dumb, and the entire point of T3, as terrible as it was, was to illustrate that nothing they did could avert the disaster.

The fact of the matter, though, is that this TV show is supposed to be entertaining - and it is.

Stop taking it so seriously.

Oh, and IMO, T2 > T1.

andi*pandi
Feb 13, 2008, 11:49 AM

I'm giving it a chance.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
You mean an army of them with air (and presumably space) superiority and heavy artillery and who don't have to "fit in" can kill millions of people... Remember SkyNet doesn't have to fight the human military, SkyNet is the human military. If the terminators sent back are conspicuous enough to arouse the military before it changes sides, it would be a totally different game than what happened on Judgement Day.

The ability to initiate a time travel from the future battlefield environment is a convenient and plausible black box. In the first movie they made out like they were lucky enough just to get one sent back. So they can't necessarily coordinate dual missions, even if they do manage to send another one later due to changing conditions. They can't plan in advance.

You can't complain about dumb premises without addressing about the whole "it has to be wrapped in living tissue" prank. As with all SciFi, you have to accept the initial premise and not be so uptight.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Oh, and IMO, T2 > T1.
QFT. Also, IMO, Edward Furlong did a horrible acting job.

greenamp  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2008, 02:05 PM

There have been some inconsistencies with what some consider cannon but I've never taken the Terminator story seriously enough to really be bothered by it. The fact is the movie story was written as an action sci-fi and doesn't have a huge premise set in stone anyway.

I like how the series is taking the approach of establishing detailed story lines within the context of the more general lines that have been laid out by the movies. There is a lot there to be expounded on, and they seem to be spending a good deal of attention on establishing concrete plot lines right now.

My only gripe at first was that Sarah Conner seemed far too motherly and not tough enough. But the last episode solved that some. And they are building John in to the role of humanity's leader. Right now he very much seems like a 15yo.

Concerning Summer's acting I think the fact that some are getting a bad impression of it in her role as a Terminator is proof that she is doing a great job with it. It (her) should seem almost quirky and false at times because it is a robot attempting to act more human like old Data in trek. But Data was more of an illusion IMO b/c Spiner had the marionette puppet thing going with him. An AI robot doesn't have to act like that and can be fluid.

If Fox doesn't screw it up this will be a great series.
( Last edited by greenamp; Feb 13, 2008 at 02:12 PM. )

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 02:21 PM

I haven't watched the show, but are they featuring Terminator robots every episode?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I haven't watched the show, but are they featuring Terminator robots every episode?
Yes.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 02:36 PM

Alright, I gather from your post that one of the main characters is a robot?

Let me rephrase: Are they featuring the skeletal Terminator robots every episode?

Cold Warrior
Feb 13, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yes.
Early on I'd read they wanted to avoid Terminator-of-the-Week. Hopefully they'll get around to it. It's probably an ok theme for the first half or 2/3 of a season, but it'll get old.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 02:51 PM

The terminators are flesh, although there are flashes of the endo-skeletal terminators here and there. The series has been pretty good about laying the technical backstory for how terminators are eventually built, with subplots involving their AI (the Turk), endo-skeletal material (coltan), and flesh (whatever that goop was).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 02:58 PM

This series comes across as somewhat low budget. I expect them to avoid the full-on skeleterminators as much as possible.

Lots of human-actors-with-a-bit-of-fake-metallic-parts-showing-after-an-accident though.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
This series comes across as somewhat low budget. I expect them to avoid the full-on skeleterminators as much as possible.
That's probably for the best.

My main objection (aside from beating the terminators to the ground as a plot device much like star trek did with the borg) is the general feeling that events in T and to a lesser degree, T2 came off as isolated events, where as a show dealing with Terminators on a weekly basis will probably have loads of evidence/witnesses piling up.

Yeah, I realize I might be being a little to critical here. Everything was ok before T3, though.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 03:05 PM

This show completely ignores T3. Probably for the best.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 03:14 PM

a show dealing with Terminators on a weekly basis will probably have loads of evidence/witnesses piling up.
I think this is why they're working on characters like Cromartie.

greenamp  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2008, 03:18 PM

I think this is why they're working on characters like Cromartie.
Yeah I think they gave him a name b/c he will be a more permanent fixture.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 03:29 PM

To make it clear, they are not facing a new terminator every week that gets killed at the end of the show. So far they've met 2, one of which didn't even recognize them because his mission was something different. They're doing lots of good storytelling other than robot-run-and-hide, such as trying to find the people who later invent terminator-related technologies, and following the somewhat Mulder-like FBI agent who's trying to interpret those very evidences/witnesses that are piling up. I think it's being very well done.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 03:32 PM

Ok. Thanks guys. Sounds like they're avoiding the more obvious mistakes.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 03:36 PM

Actually, they've met 3.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 05:59 PM

Oh yeah, thanks

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 06:14 PM

I give it 1 season before FOX cancels it and fills the spot with a reality TV show.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 06:36 PM

I'm just wondering when John is going to decide to give Cameron a "tune-up".
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2008, 06:53 PM

I actually love this TV series, and that's coming from someone who rarely gets engaged in TV shows. I really enjoy it.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2008, 07:09 PM

I just watched Queen's Gambit this afternoon. I'm in for the series.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I give it 1 season before FOX cancels it and fills the spot with a reality TV show.
Quite possibly. Scifi doesn't have a good record on Fox: Alien Nation, Space: Above and Beyond, Dark Angel, Firefly, et al.

On the other hand, Judgment Day has been reset to 2011. They're in 2007 now. Are they hoping to set up a 4-5 season series?

greenamp  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2008, 11:04 PM

Good ep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules