Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Terminator (the series)

Terminator (the series) (Page 4)
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 08:32 AM

T-3 was baaaaaaad. Really bad.

Tonights ep was... eh... Oh well. At least we now have another Terminator running around to throw into the plot line.

OreoCookie
Sep 9, 2008, 08:55 AM

Well, the series has one thing Terminator 3 did not (I'll let you guess what it is ).

Now that they have started this story line, we have to live with it, I suppose. I have to see how the series turns out. Some of the ideas are nice, but others don't yet fully fit together.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Well, the series has one thing Terminator 3 did not (I'll let you guess what it is ).

OreoCookie
Sep 9, 2008, 09:06 AM

Hehe, seems like our minds think alike
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 09:08 AM

Hey look an umbrella!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 12:09 PM

i still think there is one more termie we didn't see yet. one that is pulling the strings/helping cameron. while cameron was programmed with knowledge to go back to a certain point in time to help; events are taking place that have altered what she would have known about any future events. maybe i'm thinking too much about it, but it doesn't jive with me. and that is okay.

i still think the FBI agent is one and he doesn't know it. the programming is too good/smart/advanced...another level past the liquid termies. his programming will turn him "on" when called for. hence why he wasn't killed at the end of last season/beginning of this season. cromartie knew he couldn't kill him, so why try?

or as other said; his actions help form skynet. but i like my idea of a new super termie with powers/AI that are exponentially more than liquid was over arnold.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2008, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Summer Glau's acting sucks. That said, I still like Summer Glau in the show.
Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
I think Summer is doing a decent job in the role. My suspicions are that her quirky acting fits somehow into what type of Terminator robot she is, as in, not a reprogramed job but one built from scratch by future John, possibly modeled after a wife or lover. There seems to be subtle foreshadowing that she is differently self aware than the others.
I love her. I don't know if she's a terrible actor or a really good one because I think either could play a robot barely trying to act human equally well but it doesn't matter. The writing makes you really start to care about her even if you don't care about her T&A. I also love to see her in high-speed hand to hand combat with Terminators twice her size.

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
i still think the FBI agent is one and he doesn't know it. the programming is too good/smart/advanced...another level past the liquid termies. his programming will turn him "on" when called for. hence why he wasn't killed at the end of last season/beginning of this season. cromartie knew he couldn't kill him, so why try?
You've been watching BSG too much; terminators don't kill for no reason and they don't think they are human; that's cylons!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
I love her. I don't know if she's a terrible actor or a really good one because I think either could play a robot barely trying to act human equally well but it doesn't matter. The writing makes you really start to care about her even if you don't care about her T&A. I also love to see her in high-speed hand to hand combat with Terminators twice her size.

You've been watching BSG too much; terminators don't kill for no reason and they don't think they are human; that's cylons!
no idea what BSG is, so i'd say no i haven't watched it too much.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2008, 12:25 AM

Regarding this week's episode (S02E03, "The Mousetrap"):
  1. Does anyone else think Charlie's now-deceased wife looks a bit like Linda Hamilton?
  2. How the hell did John escape from Cromartie in the water? One friend of mine suggested that his model of Terminator is so heavy that he got maybe one chance to grab John and drown him, failed, and so sank to the bottom then walked to shore later.
  3. Why didn't anybody on the pier recognize Cromartie as the dead guy who acted in that stupid movie who shot up 23 FBI agents and is all over the news? After all, celebrity is the most powerful thing going in the United States.
  4. I like Riley, John's new "girlfriend". She's pretty but not a stick like Summer Glau, and she's refreshingly different than your standard TV babe, no?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2008, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
Regarding this week's episode (S02E03, "The Mousetrap"):
...[/list]
1. Yeah kinda... or maybe like that fembot chick on the original Bionic Woman.
2. Yeah he sank, and then took three hours to walk 1000 feet underwater. Come to think of it do Terminators ever run? Seems like they always pursue at a walking pace. (liquid metal ones aside)
3. Because celebrities don't stick out unless they are trying to get attention. I lived in L.A. for seven years and never saw one once even though they must have been all around me.
4. Yeah she's cool but calling petite girls 'sticks' is as cruel as calling fat girls 'pigs'. They're just as sensitive even if you consider them 'standard babes'.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
4. Yeah she's cool but calling petite girls 'sticks' is as cruel as calling fat girls 'pigs'. They're just as sensitive even if you consider them 'standard babes'.
Consider the number of "babe" photo spreads in this forum, you might direct your fire elsewhere if you're trying to stamp out sexism.

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2008, 03:52 PM

I've finally found some spare 45mins to watch Ep 4. The screenplay gets twisted in a way I really like. And after this episode I am clean of any doubts: Summer Glau rocks.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 04:09 PM

RE: Summer, I'll say it again: we grow 'em great here in Texas.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2008, 08:51 AM

still bad news on the ratings. going up against monday night football hurts too. looks like only 13 episodes unless the ratings get better. read it in current EW.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 11:05 PM

Hope they can make a go of it. I really enjoy the show.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 02:57 PM

looks like 12 and out for season 2, maybe it can move to CW or Sci-Fi.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2008, 03:34 PM

Yeah, I think the show turned out in a way that far exceeded anyone's expectations. The script and the performances are just really excellent, very believable, and the special effects are good enough that they really dovetail nicely with the films, albeit with the obvious problem of a change in actors. However, I do wonder if there's enough in the tank creatively to sustain a third season. I guess we'll find out.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 02:45 AM

I'm liking this season much better than the first one. The focus on Cameron is a very good idea. Both the character and the actress are the show's best assets. I'm actually hoping it doesn't get canceled, which I couldn't say at this point last season.

Still want to know, though: Who is this woman and what has she done with Sarah Connor? Has nobody involved with this show watched T2? They took this awesome action chick who was a really compelling and fairly original character and turned her into TV's most tiresome mom. It frustrates me every time I watch. Last week's "Boo-hoo, I wish Kyle would hold my hand" Ya-Ya Sisterhood meeting drove me up the wall.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 08:53 AM

Yesterday's episode was actually half decent in terms of the storyline.

The Dodge RAM truck stuff was damn annoying though. There was an intro about these trucks, they focused on the truck in the show, and all the commercials were pseudo tough guy truck stuff with them.

WAAAY too much. Very irritating. Mind you I'm not in their target market anyway, so I'm sure they don't care what I think.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2008, 12:56 PM

The Dodge RAM truck stuff was damn annoying though. There was an intro about these trucks, they focused on the truck in the show, and all the commercials were pseudo tough guy truck stuff with them.
Agreed, but I record it on my DVR. Then I wait until about 20 minutes after it starts and just fast forward. The one nice thing is there were very few commercials. Last night's episode felt really long.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 01:23 PM

True, but the in-episode references to the truck were annoying too. eg.

Camera focusing in on the RAM logo before panning out.
John and uncle making specific use on that storage compartment on multiple occasions.
Camera focusing on the GPS, with uncle pointing to it.

Some of this just felt out of place, sort of like those cell phone placements in Bond movies, or people demo-ing iPhone picture scrolling in CSI when showing pictures of evidence.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2008, 02:16 PM

if it keeps the show on the air; i don't mind. several tv shows have had to do that. some not needing the support (like american idol with ford and coke).

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 02:25 PM

The camera lingering for an extra second is far preferable to an extra commercial.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 02:31 PM

Well, like Gankdawg, I have a DVR. I actually prefer having less in-show advertising and more separate commercials cuz I can just skip over them.

When they're in-show, it kinda takes away from the whole storyline. Now of course, it's not a major deal, just annoying.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2008, 04:04 PM

John and uncle making specific use on that storage compartment on multiple occasions.

Some of this just felt out of place, sort of like those cell phone placements in Bond movies, or people demo-ing iPhone picture scrolling in CSI when showing pictures of evidence.
Agreed. I'm surprised they haven't had lunch at Subway yet.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 06:29 PM

Well, like Gankdawg, I have a DVR. I actually prefer having less in-show advertising and more separate commercials cuz I can just skip over them.
I have a DVR too, but skipping through a commercial still takes up just as much of my time as having to watch 1 second of product placement (and the ratio is probably more favorable than that in reality). Meanwhile fewer commercials leave more time for content.

I suggest you stop trying so hard to spot the product placement, if all it's bringing you is misery. I'd be with you if the Dodge Ram somehow convinced SkyNet to live in peace with the humans...

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2008, 06:49 PM

... all the commercials were pseudo tough guy truck stuff with them. WAAAY too much. Very irritating.
Yeah, it's like the commercials were done by an agency who thought they knew what an action/sci-fi series' audience would be into, but had never seen the actual shocking, smart, yet sweet and sensitive show itself. It was jarring when those idiots were finished woooo wooo woooing about how tough they were and it cut back to the show where a little boy was reading a classic children's book with his babysitter.

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
... I'd be with you if the Dodge Ram somehow convinced SkyNet to live in peace with the humans...
Say, that's not bad. Make a note of that as a possible series finale idea!

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2008, 06:53 PM

I hated the babysitting part to this episode.

Shooting terminators = Good
Watching kids and reminiscing about being a mom = bad

The rest was decent I suppose. But I have no idea why Cameron is even in the show anymore.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 07:06 PM

You didn't like "Allison from Palmdale"?
Chuck
___

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You didn't like "Allison from Palmdale"?
Definitely didn't. One of my least favorites episodes to date.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2008, 12:48 AM

It was alright this week. Seemed a bit long in the tooth. The part about not knowing if the kid did in fact make it home or not bothered me for some reason.

andi*pandi
Oct 8, 2008, 09:34 AM

yeah, but that compartment was pretty sweet.

What was jarring to me was wondering how these people on the run could get hold of a new truck like that. Do they still have a stash of cash?

I think they had the kid storyline just so they could make the Oz parallels, which was ok. Knowing this show's tendency to kill of someone sympathetic each episode, I was going to be really pissed if it was this kid, and I knew they knew that, and I was annoyed at being manipulated into finding out if he was ok. It also is nice seeing the repurcussions of the Connors running around--there are other victims.

How many more terminators can be sent back in time? Isn't time knitting itself into a sweater by now?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2008, 10:06 AM

the last episode with all have been a dream; ala Dallas. the original Sarah from the movies will wake up to a phone ringing...

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
the last episodes will all have been a dream; ala Dallas. the original Sarah from the movies will wake up to a phone ringing...
You know the original Sarah is 52 years old right?
She's probably looking about like Arnold by now.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2008, 01:24 AM

I still think she's pretty attractive. This is her a few years ago:
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2008, 02:35 AM

Surely you jest.
no airplane joke reply please. thank you.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2008, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
yeah, but that compartment was pretty sweet.
Actually it was. The ads are working!!!11

What was jarring to me was wondering how these people on the run could get hold of a new truck like that. Do they still have a stash of cash?
Yeah, I wondered about that too. And even if they do have tons of cash, why would they bother buying that, knowing it'll get destroyed a few episodes later?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2008, 10:10 AM

I'm sure they don't have any qualms about stealing. At least, no one but John does. Maybe they have cameron duke it out with an ATM every now and then. Maybe she stole $700B and that's what's causing our whole financial crisis right now!

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2008, 02:24 PM

Yeah, that's another cool idea for the series finale: everybody goes bankrupt and they sell Cameron as replacement parts for the new Dodge Ram nobody fixes anymore. Nice one, Uncle Skeleton.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2008, 02:34 PM

Even better: unstoppable robot... car salesgirl! They try to stop SkyNet by infiltrating a Dodge dealership, and they have to sell X number of cars OR ELSE. The whole hour becomes one long sales-pitch.

andi*pandi
Oct 9, 2008, 03:46 PM

could dovetail rather nicely with the doctor who episodes where the onstar/gps takes over the car and drives people to certain doom.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2008, 10:55 PM

What doctor? What did I miss?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 01:31 AM

The doctor that helped get one of the first terminators that was sent back his skin, after he rebuilt himself since only his head came through the time warp.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 04:51 PM

What doctor? What did I miss?
She said Doctor Who. The Doctor in question would be David Tennant, in "The Sontaran Strategem."
Chuck
___

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2009, 11:15 AM

So no one else saw the show on Friday?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2009, 11:52 AM

i was knee deep in 2x4s and drywall

will catch it online before the next episode.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
So no one else saw the show on Friday?
I watched it last night on hulu. Didn't think it was a particularly strong start to the rest of the season, but it wasn't too bad. Not a fan of the current trend of female leads seeings the 'ghosts' of their dead lovers though. First Grey's Anatomy, now Terminator? What's the world coming to?!?

Cold Warrior
Feb 16, 2009, 01:33 PM

I saw it. Nothing memorable except for John Henry identifying that Irish chick as 'not human.'

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2009, 01:44 PM

Irish chick? Dude, that's Shirley Manson from Garbage!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I watched it last night on hulu. Didn't think it was a particularly strong start to the rest of the season, but it wasn't too bad. Not a fan of the current trend of female leads seeings the 'ghosts' of their dead lovers though. First Grey's Anatomy, now Terminator? What's the world coming to?!?
They also do it on Fringe.

I think the guy they cast as Kyle looked like a bucket of puke. Terrible choice. Also, not enough action in this episode, for a season opener (or re-opener). At least they should have had more resistance against the Mansonator on her rampage. Nice detective work though, by John Henry and that local sheriff tracking Sarah. Nice, but too slow for an opener.

Forum Links
Forum Rules