Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > tools.jar

tools.jar
seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2001, 09:54 PM

hi everybody,

removed my old tomcat today and replaced it with the new one. it works ok, kind of. the examples pages for jsp and beans won't show up.

i had a look at the logs and they had an entry that it couldn't find "tools.jar". same thing happened when trying to run smartcvs by starting it with the shell script that came with it (worked from the web start thingie)

did a locate and it couldn't find "tools.jar", either. from what i have read on sun's pages, tools.jar supposedly is a standard part of the java 2 jdk.

any ideas or hints?

bsturgen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2001, 01:52 AM

Together Control Center wants to know the tools.jar as well. My Together.sh uses a JDK_TOOLS_JAR environment variable, which I set to:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home/Classes/ui.jar.

This may work for Tomcat as well. YMMV.
Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux'

Jablabla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2001, 12:01 PM

I think I know what is going on. I had the same problem.

I expanded the tomcat stuff with stuffit. But I think that its a classic application. Anyhow, some of the class file names got truncated. So, there was one class that was ending with .clas and not .class . It caused an error with filtering. Then when I would try to view the examples none of them would work. So, I think you should just fix the one file name and restart tomcat. The file should be listed in the exception created in the tomcat log.

After that fix, I got tomcat 4.01 working just fine. Though, the documentation on the apache connection module stuff is pretty bad. I just used tomcats internal webbrowser. But to use port 80 it has to run as root or else the os will not let you bind the address.

Hope that helps!

seb2  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2001, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Jablabla:
<STRONG>So, there was one class that was ending with .clas and not .class . </STRONG>
oh my god. i would never ever have thought of something so stupid. but you were absolutely right, that did it.

thank you so much!

oh, and 8080 is fine for me, i just wanted to be able to test my jsp stuff on my local machine instead of having to use other servers. i have never tried to use the apache module, shouldn't be very hard, though.

Jablabla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2001, 10:42 PM

Great to hear the success! Took me a few days of grief to figure it out at work.

Moral of the story :

Carbon apps have the classic file name size limitations. Alot of nasty java developers on other platforms often create filenames greater than the classic limitation. So, when distributing java applications it might be wise to use jar files and not class files.

Or maybe don't use carbon apps to expand your files. Sorry stuffit. I like carbon apps but this is a problem. It is reporducable...

seb2  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2001, 10:11 AM

yes. it's kind of a habit to use stuffit expander. but "openup" does a great job and it's free.

and since tomcat did come zipped as most of that java stuff comes in one or the other zip format... just a question of customs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules