Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > April Beta Dev Tools available

April Beta Dev Tools available
seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2002, 05:18 AM

just wanted to let you know that online-members can now download them, just discovered that.

if that's been covered elsewhere -- sorry for wasting your bandwidth.

ksuther
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2002, 07:53 AM

Yay! Time to try them when I get home from school

btw seb, did you ever get my email? :-p

davechen
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2002, 09:57 AM

cool. i just finished downloading.

has anyone who's used it had any problems/issues with the new dev tools?

mindwaves
Apr 30, 2002, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by davechen:
<STRONG>cool. i just finished downloading.

has anyone who's used it had any problems/issues with the new dev tools?</STRONG>
Just got it also. So far, so good, except when I comment my Java code C style, it doesn't make all of it green unless I highlight it.

stepson
Apr 30, 2002, 05:45 PM

Does it have gcc 3? You can check the version by opening a terminal window and typing:

gcc --version

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2002, 05:59 PM

Mine hasn't arrived in the mail yet, but I don't need it to know that it has gcc3. It has been quite clearly stated in a number of places that the beta dev tools include the beta gcc3.

I personally can't wait till it arrives :-)
I could download it, but figure I can wait since it should be here real soon now!
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2002, 07:47 PM

I don't suppose it fixes the minor issue described here:

http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=46&t=005285

<This space under renovation>

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Apr 30, 2002, 08:01 PM

Thank you! Now I just have to reset my online membership password for the fiftieth time in a row, hehe.

*Procrastinating the paper due tomorrow*
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

mattcunnane
Apr 30, 2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by parallax:
<STRONG>Thank you! Now I just have to reset my online membership password for the fiftieth time in a row, hehe.

*Procrastinating the paper due tomorrow*</STRONG>
Wow, so I'm not the only one! It seems like I end up reseting my password every time I log in.

Once they're downloaded these new dev tools should provide yet another excuse to avoid writing my dissertation...

mattcunnane
Apr 30, 2002, 08:44 PM

Hmm... perhaps they should update the text:

Originally posted by mattcunnane:
<STRONG>
Beta release of Developer Tools for Mac OS X 10.1.x, including betas of Project Builder 2.0, gcc3 Compiler, and GM version of AppleScript Studio 1.1. Now available to Software Seed Key holders only, with wider availability to follow the week of April 22.
</STRONG>

mindwaves
Apr 30, 2002, 10:50 PM

hehehe...I have to reset my password every time also, but strangely I remembered it this time.

davechen
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2002, 01:36 AM

The whole password thing is definitely screwed. I have to make a new one practically every time I log in.

Anyways, there's a cc and a gcc3. cc is version 2.95.2, while gcc3 is version 3.1.

sambeau
Mac Elite
May 1, 2002, 07:54 AM

<STRONG>The whole password thing is definitely screwed. I have to make a new one practically every time I log in.
</STRONG>
and me! evry time. I've run out of combinations of my usual passwords with digits before and after.

Why so strict? they're giving stuff away for free mostly. Or do big bucks developers get all sorts of paid for goodies and previews they don't want us to see?

hhmmmff!

kennethmac2000
Senior User
May 1, 2002, 10:01 AM

But it still doesn't fix the bug whereby renaming a file (certainly in Java projects) breaks the build process.

absmiths
Mac Elite
May 1, 2002, 10:19 AM

Why does it call them Betas? Does that mean that the April dev tools are considered beta tools, or that this is out of date text announcing beta availibility of April tools? I want to know for sure before I install.

Bottom line: does Apple consider these stable enough for a working development machine?

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 1, 2002, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
<STRONG>Why does it call them Betas? Does that mean that the April dev tools are considered beta tools, or that this is out of date text announcing beta availibility of April tools? I want to know for sure before I install.

Bottom line: does Apple consider these stable enough for a working development machine?</STRONG>
Betas because it includes Project Builder 2.0 Beta version (final won't be released until 10.2/10.5/whatever they call it is released), and the gcc3 compiler is not a "finished version yet"

The Project Builder beta is stable enough for day-to-day development. The new gcc3 compiler is not. It is included only for testing purposes and they state NOT to use it for either in-house or other projects other than to test it. That's why the tools default to gcc 2.95.whatever.

Also, a beta version of Applescript is installed (1.8.3b4, I think) so you can use the AppleScript Studio 1.1 GM that is also included. The final versions will ship with Jaguar too.

Bottom Line: Apple considers Project Builder 2.0 beta stable enough for a working development machine. gcc3 is not stable enough yet (which is why you get both the old gcc and the new gcc), and neither is AppleScript Studio 1.1

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: Person Man ]

davidb224
Forum Regular
May 2, 2002, 02:01 PM

<STRONG>i just finished downloading. Has anyone who's used it had any problems/issues with the new dev tools?</STRONG>
I also just downloaded the April 2002 Dev Tools. I was wondering what to do with the December 2001 Dev Tools. Should I leave the December 2001 installed when I install the April 2002 package or should I remove December 2001 first?
davidb

davechen
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2002, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by davidb224:
<STRONG>

I also just downloaded the April 2002 Dev Tools. I was wondering what to do with the December 2001 Dev Tools. Should I leave the December 2001 installed when I install the April 2002 package or should I remove December 2001 first?</STRONG>

I just installed it on top of the December Dev Tools.

BTW there's a script "gcc_select" in /usr/sbin that makes the cc/c++ links point to either gcc2 or gcc3.

I didn't notice any dramatic speed change going from 2 to 3. Maybe 5%. On my p3 Linux machine the difference seemed bigger. I'm guessing the gcc folks spent a lot of time optimizing gcc3 for x86.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 01:01 PM

Password expired? You've got to be kidding me. Heh.

Apple's developer site is retarded I think. Man this gets annoying, especially when you can't use a password that resembles ANY password that you've ever used before. Piece of crap. Grrr!
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
<STRONG>Password expired? You've got to be kidding me. Heh.

Apple's developer site is retarded I think. Man this gets annoying, especially when you can't use a password that resembles ANY password that you've ever used before. Piece of crap. Grrr!</STRONG>
You can use a password that resembles it as long as it's not exactly the same! Anyway, they have to be careful, since ADC accounts can hold privileges that people pay for, but are transferable (seed keys, hardware discount keys, etc). Not to mention they have to be pretty sure that only the user that the account is registered to logs in for things like pre-release seeds.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
<STRONG>You can use a password that resembles it as long as it's not exactly the same! Anyway, they have to be careful, since ADC accounts can hold privileges that people pay for, but are transferable (seed keys, hardware discount keys, etc). Not to mention they have to be pretty sure that only the user that the account is registered to logs in for things like pre-release seeds.</STRONG>
True, I guess it's worth the hassle to make sure their customers are being served as best as they can. Anyway, I decided not to install the Dev tools... not until gcc3 is done. I don't use Project Builder or AppleScript Studio, or Interface Builder.. so no reason to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (unless there's a better version available )
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

kennethmac2000
Senior User
May 4, 2002, 08:23 PM

Yet another bug that still exists is that putting /* */ style comments around multiple lines of text still only updates the colour of the lines with the /* and */ on them (well, at least until the other lines are caused to be updated by some other action).

Forum Links
Forum Rules