Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Treo 650 Vs Blackberry 7100t

Treo 650 Vs Blackberry 7100t
Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 03:39 AM

I am interested in getting a smart phone like the Treo or Blackberry but can't seem to figure out which is the better phone. Those who use the Blackberry seem to swear by it. But, I have heard good things about the Treo as well. Is there anyone who have any knowledge of both phones that could officer any advice?

I currently use a Tungston T3. I am concerned that the lack of Graffitti input on the Treo would slow down text inputting. Is the thumb board faster than Grafitti Input? Is the Treo a better choice for Mac users?

What are your thoughts?
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 02:06 PM

I don't have either, but I'm in the same predicament your are. Here's what I've found. . .

The Blackberry SureType works very, very well. The screen is said to be excellent. The phone is relatively inexpensive ($200) but does have some drawbacks. One, the reception isn't as good as you could hope. I'm coming from a Nokia 3650, the best in the biz with respect to reception, so it's something I'm concerned about. Bluetooth is for headsets only -- no using it for iSync, modem, etc. The processor feels a bit slow to some people, too. Aside from all that, it's a champ at emailing and web surfing. Syncing for the Mac is done via MissingSync, so that automatically adds $40 to the price.

On the Treo 650 side, it's not out yet, so there's no definitive review, but there's enough to go on. I'm not sure on the price, but I can see T-Mobile selling it for $400-$500. Reception on the 600 is said to be very good and Bluetooth supports OBEX, etc., so it's full featured. Processor is zippy and the screen is gorgeous. I've heard the thumbboard is much improved over the 600 and that typing is actually faster than Graffiti, although YMMV. Email is good, although there's no BB-style push email -- yet. I've heard Palm may license the tech from BB. Web surfing is said to be a good experience as well. Also, since it's OS 5.4, I think you can still use the existing Palm conduit to iSnyc (translation -- it's free).

Having look through all this, I think I'm going for the Treo if I can swing the money. Between the reception and the cheap feel of the BB (so I've heard), I'm leaning towards the Treo. Plus, the Treo has a camera (not necessary, but nice), full Bluetooth, and a complete thumbboard. Now I just need T-Mobile to release it!
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

CambAngst
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 08:04 PM

I don't really know anything about blackberry devices other than the fact that our sales people at work have the blue blackberries and they all complain that they're too big and that the reception is bad.

I've had a Treo 600 for about a year now, and I've been an avid lurker at TreoCentral.com throughout the rumor/anticipation/announcement cycle for the Treo 650. Having read a lot and given it quite a bit of thought, I don't think I'm going to jump on the 650. While the 650 does add a lot of flash and bells and whistles vs. the 600, I don't see them being worth $400-$500, or whatever Sprint is going to charge me to upgrade. Moreover, the 650 will probably be the last PalmOne smart phone to be released before PalmSource releases Cobalt, their next-generation PalmOS for smart phones and PDA's. Everything I've seen and read about Cobalt is amazing.

If you're leaning towards the Treo, one thing you might consider is picking up a 600 on the cheap and biding your time for 6 months or so. By then, the roadmap for Cobalt finding its way into PalmOne devices will probably be a lot more clear.

pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 11:36 PM

I am a cell phone junkie - have always used Sonys via TMobile but was missing out on email.. and I agree with the previous poster - the BB's were bigger.

But, with the 7100T, they have created the perfect balance between BB size and cellphone functionality..

I love the 7100t, suretype is awesome and with Pocketmac's product, syncs perfectly with my mac!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 09:14 PM

Isn't it possible to use Graffiti on a Treo? It does have a stylus, doesn't it?

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 12:04 AM

No, I don't think you can use Graffiti with it, but yes it does have a stylus.

Timothy Maxwell  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2004, 12:45 AM

The detailed feedback from all responders have been great! All of you have given me much to think about. I am still concerned about text input on the Treo. Is there anyone who has an opinion about using the thumb board?

It is amazing to me, though, that Palm has not included Graffiti capabilities on a high end device like the Treo.
Timothy Maxwell

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 01:48 PM

One thing you may look into is if any third-party HWR software like JOT or Myscript could be used on the Treo. Also, it may be a personal preference, but I would think the thumbboard might be faster. Supposedly the keys on the 650 are larger than the 600 and have a much improved feel.

Plus, I don't know if this matters to you, but after looking at all the alternatives for my next smartphone (I have a 3650 right now), I'm 99% positive that I'm going to go for a Treo 650. Someone would have to come out with a pretty rockin' phone to convince me otherwise.

Timothy Maxwell  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
One thing you may look into is if any third-party HWR software like JOT or Myscript could be used on the Treo. Also, it may be a personal preference, but I would think the thumbboard might be faster. Supposedly the keys on the 650 are larger than the 600 and have a much improved feel.

Plus, I don't know if this matters to you, but after looking at all the alternatives for my next smartphone (I have a 3650 right now), I'm 99% positive that I'm going to go for a Treo 650. Someone would have to come out with a pretty rockin' phone to convince me otherwise.

I'M WITH YOU 100% ! ! !
Timothy Maxwell

webb3201
Senior User
Nov 4, 2004, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
Isn't it possible to use Graffiti on a Treo? It does have a stylus, doesn't it?
Yes you can install and use Graffitti on the Treo. Google it and you will be up and running in no time. k
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

antonio
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 10:21 AM

i'm also shopping around and can't decide between getting a 7100t or a treo 600. but i have one question for those of you using either phone:

does pocketmac sync emails between either device and your mac? (i'm using entourage 2004).

also, anyone want to comment on the different service plans each device is linked to? i've been looking at the stats, coverage, rates so much that i'm loopy.

thanks

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 05:07 PM

I take it you have T-Mobile? If so, then there are a few things you may want to know.

For the BB, I think you need their BlackBerry service to properly access the web. I may be mistaken and all you may need is the $4.99 t-zones to get WAP and POP access, but I know for certain that the BB service is required to get push email. It can also be used just as a phone, but that kind of defeats the purpose of getting a BB. They do email. Well.

On the Treo, you can use it just as a phone/PDA or add on t-zones or internet access. If you really want push email, I think there's some 3rd party software that will do push mail on a Palm.

In actuality, you don't have to use any of the "services" that T-Mobile offers to get these phones. Any normal phone plan will work with them, they just won't have the extra features that make them stand out.

antonio
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2004, 08:43 AM

thanks for the information on t-mobile. are you using either one to sync email? i've looked at the pocketmac site and contacted them via email (no response yet) and it says that it will sync the inbox in entourage. anyone have first hand experience of this? wondering why it can't sync outbox as well?

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2004, 11:11 PM

I'm not using it right now, but T-Mobile had a bunch of ports open a few months ago and I tried it out on my Nokia 3650. It worked pretty well. In fact, it was good enough that when I get a 650, I'm likely going to add t-zones just for the email function alone. Web will be nice, too, but the email will be great.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 11:41 AM

Cool, you're in Piscataway! So am I!

Anyway, a friend of mine went through the same dilemma a week or so ago. He ended up choosing the Blackberry solely for monetary reasons but is completely satisfied with it. Mac sync has been fine and SureType has worked out better than he thought it would.

Myself, I went with a Sidekick II but I'm regretting that now since there's no Mac sync. I doubt it's coming out either.

Timothy Maxwell  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2004, 12:34 AM

I met someone at a recent mortgage banking seminar that was using both a Treo 600 and a B&W Blackberry. She raved about her Blackberry and hated the Treo. Her reason for not liking the Treo was that she have to check for email rather than having the email delivered immediately to her phone. I really can't understand the big deal. Why can Treo users just have the phone check for new email regularly.

Is Push email the only benefit for using the Blackberry. What about the Contact Mgr, To Do List, and Calendar programs. How good are they and what programs do they intergrate with on the Mac?
Timothy Maxwell

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 01:59 PM

If you ask me, she's probably just lazy. The Treo can check for mail every 15 minutes if you want. She may be more anal, but that's certainly frequent enough for me.

As far as Mac integration, I would think any Palm OS product would be ahead of and BB. BBs are relatively new whereas Palms have been around forever. I think you can still use the Palm conduit with iSync for the 650 since it's an OS 5.4 device and not a Cobalt device. That alone will save you the hassle of buying The Missing Sync (which is needed for the BB).

Timothy Maxwell  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2004, 11:24 PM

Good Advise
Timothy Maxwell

velodev
Senior User
Nov 17, 2004, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
No, I don't think you can use Graffiti with it, but yes it does have a stylus.
Yes, you can use Graffiti with a Treo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules