Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Official Treo 650 Thread

Official Treo 650 Thread
surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2005, 10:29 AM

Did a little searching already, and there does not seem to be a whole lot on the Treo 650 experience thus far. So here ya go. Let's get the ball rolling.

I bought the phone yesterday, read reviews afterward- some good, some bad. I won't go into a long dissertation on my thoughts at this point. But, a few things to discuss so far. It does not seem to work with iSync. I was able to set it up to transfer my contacts from Address Book to the phone via Bluetooth just by using the Palm software and iSync Conduit, etc., but most of my contacts did not actually transfer.

I hastily bought Missing Sync- and it actually seemed to transfer over all my contacts using Bluetooth. But, I still cannot seem to use iSync alone to do the transfer.

I have a general PDA question: I have read several times not to sync with more than one computer, but I sort of need to. I keep most of my contacts, address book info on my mac at home, but my calender is at work on Lotus notes. So, I'd like to sync contacts on my mac and schedule on PC at work. Anyone have experience with this?

That's it for now. Any other input or experiences with the unit are welcome. By the way, the rest of the experience with the phone has been very nice so far: nice screen, smooth interface, works pretty well with phone hands-free system, etc.

Thanks.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 11:08 AM

I don't think its good to sync with 2 different computers. If you have .mac, you might be able to sync the Treo only with your computer at home, then sync your work computer with your .mac account instead of the Treo.

Apple's iSync devices page has a picture of a Treo at the top, and Handspring PDA devices are listed, but the 650 might be properly included in the next update.
http://www.apple.com/isync/devices.html

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 04:50 PM

Also, not all devices use isync alone. Some need missing sync. I use missing sync with my treo 600.

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 05:20 PM

If you're going to sync in multiple locations, be careful. It can work, but bad things can happen. Best thing to do is make use if iSync's backup feature (Devices | Backup my Data).

I found that using The Missing Sync cut down on duplicates and has other nice features (see my review), so I think it's still a good buy for you.

ChrisF
Senior User
Jan 9, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by MikeD:
Also, not all devices use isync alone. Some need missing sync. I use missing sync with my treo 600.

Mike
You may also be able to use iSync with Palm Desktop without having to buy Missing Sync. I suppose it depends if you need the extra features Missing Sync provides.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 08:29 PM

No Palm device works with iSync directly. You have to install Palm Desktop and then the iSync Conduit from Apple's iSync homepage.

ChrisF
Senior User
Jan 9, 2005, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
No Palm device works with iSync directly. You have to install Palm Desktop and then the iSync Conduit from Apple's iSync homepage.
True. I didn't make that clear in my post. Palm Desktop and iSync do what I need with my T5 with the exception that fields such as "Birthdays" in iSync are not copied to or from the Palm.

Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2005, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by surferboy:
Did a little searching already, and there does not seem to be a whole lot on the Treo 650 experience thus far. So here ya go. Let's get the ball rolling.

I bought the phone yesterday, read reviews afterward- some good, some bad. I won't go into a long dissertation on my thoughts at this point. But, a few things to discuss so far. It does not seem to work with iSync. I was able to set it up to transfer my contacts from Address Book to the phone via Bluetooth just by using the Palm software and iSync Conduit, etc., but most of my contacts did not actually transfer.

Thanks.
Has anyone been able to purchase the Treo 650 and use it with a Network other than Sprint? I have been waiting for a long time for the release of the Treo 650 to T-Mobile. Has anyone heard anything about a possible release date for T-Mobile or any other Phone Network?
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

ChrisF
Senior User
Jan 10, 2005, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by surferboy:
I was able to set it up to transfer my contacts from Address Book to the phone via Bluetooth just by using the Palm software and iSync Conduit, etc., but most of my contacts did not actually transfer.
Do you have groups of contacts established in Address Book? iSync may default to only transferring that group. Be sure that you have iSync set to synchronize all your contacts.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Timothy Maxwell:
Has anyone been able to purchase the Treo 650 and use it with a Network other than Sprint? I have been waiting for a long time for the release of the Treo 650 to T-Mobile. Has anyone heard anything about a possible release date for T-Mobile or any other Phone Network?
Current one is Sprint-only, but a GSM model should be released by the end of the month.

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2005, 10:02 PM

Thought I owe everyone a little follow-up. All good advice given above. My biggest problem was stupidity. I forgot that Palm OS devices can only sync using the hotsync buttom, or the hotsync function on the device.

That said, I am currently all set up. I am using missing sync to sync address book on my mac, and intellisync on my PC to sync my calender. So far, since I am not syncing the same things on the different computers, there do not seem to be any issues.

that said, I accidentally synced (sunc?) my calender on the two devices, and the mac and the treo did not seem to mind.

So far, a very nice device...

Thanks.

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2005, 08:47 AM

Surferboy, can you view your calendar during a call? I just read that this might not be possible - which will probably cause me to cancel my order if true???
( Last edited by The Wolf; May 17, 2005 at 09:12 AM. )

jasong
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 09:38 AM

You can on the 600, don't see why this would have changed.

And since we're dragging this topic back from the dead, I'm not sure why MikeD needs missing sync to sync his Treo, mine works fine using Palm Desktop and iSync (even better now with Tiger).
-- Jason

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2005, 09:46 AM

COOL, thanks! I forgot to ask, but can you also view your address book during a call? I am really looking forward to getting mine now. Verizon seems to indicate on their website that they may allow syncs with some new bluetooth software/firmware.

jasong
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 10:05 AM

You can view the address book, but it it kind of tricky. The only way I have found to do it is to hit the menu button, and go to View > Contacts.

Very stupid interface on an otherwise incredible product. Again, this is on a 600, but I imagine it's the same on the 650.
-- Jason

Le Flaneur
Senior User
May 23, 2005, 12:08 PM

I'm wondering who has gotten their Treo 650 GSM to work properly as a data modem over bluetooth with a PowerBook running Tiger. This worked fine for me under OS X 10.3.9, but since I upgraded to Tiger (10.4.1), I get a script error. I'm using the built-in 3G CID1 script, the same as what I used under 10.3.9.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Wolf
COOL, thanks! I forgot to ask, but can you also view your address book during a call? I am really looking forward to getting mine now. Verizon seems to indicate on their website that they may allow syncs with some new bluetooth software/firmware.
Just make sure you don't press the green or red buttons, and you can switch to any application.

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2005, 09:04 AM

Well, I just got my Verizon Treo 650. I am happy to report that Verizon finally allows iSync to work via Bluetooth (er, for $5/mo extra)!!!

I have been waiting a long time for this so I should be a little pleased than I am. Unfortunately, I don't like the phone - at all. Oh well, off to the store to see if the Moto 710 will work...

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2005, 06:09 PM

...I am happy to report that Verizon finally allows iSync to work via Bluetooth

I don't believe this. I went online and signed up for Verizon Wireless Connect to get email my email pushed and ever since then, I CAN'T SYNC!!!

THIS IS MISERABLE. I reset the phone and still no go. Can ANYONE help I'm about to smash this this thing!!!

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2006, 12:20 PM

I don't believe this. I went online and signed up for Verizon Wireless Connect to get email my email pushed and ever since then, I CAN'T SYNC!!!
Likewise, I have the same problem with my new 650, MBP, Palm Desktop software, and Verizon. The Treo and Mac no longer sync after signing up for Verizon Wireless Sync for e-mail purposes.

The Mac data is getting "stale" since I have resorted to only updating the Verizon site (which is handy btw) or the Treo itself, which syncs. Worse, Verizon only keeps 31 days worth of calendar data on the Treo and on the Web (and there doesn't seem to be a setting option to change it).

Help? Ideas?

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 01:52 PM

hey, i posted a thread in aplications foruns with a easy way to export contacts from palm desktop to adress book. It's not a sync, but i think it helps a lot, well, it helped me...
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=297255
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

Hirogen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 01:07 PM

I had a powerbook that synced fine with my Treo 650. It was stolen. (another story)

My replacement macbook won't sync as a modem with the Treo. I've tried all the instructions from apple and also Sprint. I get the pairing and code word stuff OK, but when I hit the connect button, I get the "no device available" type message.

Help!!!

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2006, 08:29 PM

I use Missing Sync for Palm on my Treo 650 and it works great! I'd suggest that you choose one Mac to do the sync with and then let .Mac keep the data between the two computers up to date. This works pretty well for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules