Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Palm OS is D-E-A-D

The Palm OS is D-E-A-D
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2005, 03:04 PM

"Access has revealed that it believes the Palm operating system will soon reach the end of its life."

http://www.cbronline.com/article_fea...4-A2A7D057C8FF

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2005, 03:30 PM

They bought it to use part of it in a move to Linux based Palm devices. Although Palm made a deal with Microsoft to put Windows Mobile on it.

I wonder if they'll offer both?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2005, 03:30 PM

And yet Palm has recently announced that RIM's BlackBerry software will be available on the Treo 650 and future Palm OS devices.

I suppose there could have been an implied parenthetical 'if there are any'.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2005, 03:43 PM

I wanna see what Palm OS6 looked like. Worse than copland?
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

pathogen
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2005, 03:50 PM

Palm has been stuck in OS 5 for years. I'm surprised the Treo is as popular as it is while the Palm OS has been so stagnant. There are hardly any new really good apps being developed for Palm any more. MMPlayer is probably the only decent video player app, and it's being written in someone's spare time.

But when Palm said future versions of the Palm OS wouldn't support Macs after OS 5, that's when I decided it was going to be unlikely I'd find myself owning a new Palm after my Zire 72.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

milhous
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2005, 04:10 PM

so does this mean that the new owners of PalmOS also own the rights to BeOS?
F = ma

nbnz
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 04:16 PM

Well here's a contradicting article on Brighthand!

"Despite What You May Have Read, the Palm OS Is NOT Dead"
http://www.brighthand.com/article/Palm_OS_Is_NOT_Dead
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by nbnz
Well here's a contradicting article on Brighthand!

"Despite What You May Have Read, the Palm OS Is NOT Dead"
http://www.brighthand.com/article/Palm_OS_Is_NOT_Dead
Fine, but it is obvious it is coming. I give it a few more weeks/months before it is official.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by pathogen
But when Palm said future versions of the Palm OS wouldn't support Macs after OS 5, that's when I decided it was going to be unlikely I'd find myself owning a new Palm after my Zire 72.
PalmOne never said they were stopping Mac support. PalmSource said they were stopping Mac support.

I loved Palm stuff. I had a PalmPilot Personal, then an M500 and then a Tungsten T, and I never thought a smartphone (even a Treo) could replace my Palm. I recently bought a Nokia 6680 (a symbian based smart phone) and I haven't touched my Tungsten T since that day. What I realised when I started using it, is that it's not as good a PDA as my Tungsten T, and it's not as a good a mobile phone as my Nokia 6230, but it's good enough at being both for me to never want to go back to having to carry two seperate devices.
12" Rev B PB

nbnz
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
Fine, but it is obvious it is coming. I give it a few more weeks/months before it is official.
I agree the Palm OS as it is today is dead, which given the lack of advancement for so long may not be a bad thing. But I don't think the look and feel of Palm OS is dead, hopefully laid over a more advanced, rubust, flexible core.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by nbnz
I agree the Palm OS as it is today is dead, which given the lack of advancement for so long may not be a bad thing. But I don't think the look and feel of Palm OS is dead, hopefully laid over a more advanced, rubust, flexible core.
I seriously doubt they are going to create a new OS. They already went with Windows CE on the Treo's and have made comments to moving to linux in the past.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by pathogen
Palm has been stuck in OS 5 for years. I'm surprised the Treo is as popular as it is while the Palm OS has been so stagnant. There are hardly any new really good apps being developed for Palm any more. MMPlayer is probably the only decent video player app, and it's being written in someone's spare time.

Agreed. Palm sat on its ass while its main competitor, Microsoft, continued to pump out new versions, new devices (in association with their partners like HP and their iPaq brand) and new apps. They sat on their ass and failed to deliver any great new products - just repackaged the same old Palm OS into tired, already-been-there devices which overlapped too much in target market.

The Palm LifeDrive looks like the only decent device to come out of Palm in a long, long time, but its too little too late. All the others, like the Z71, 72, 21, 22, Tungsten E, D, C, TX, whatever, etc. None have much to offer over the other.

Smacks of the crap companies like GM did back in the 80s and 90s with the same damn car offered in about 15 different versions under 8 different nameplates or whatever. And now they wonder why they've lost so much market to the other brands.

Palm: Same sh!t, different day.

Palm simply blew it. The writing's been on the wall for a while now, since the Palm to PalmOne to PalmSource back to Palm crap (or however the whole mess went).

18 months ago I bought an iPaq which was thinner/lighter than any Palm available at the time and had a great screen, an SD/SDIO slot, integrated bluetooth and integrated 802.11b. The only offering from Palm that could come even close was the god-awful Tungsten C.

Meh. Two or three years ago I would have mourned for Palm. Not now.

Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2005, 08:43 PM

Everyone is complaining about the lack of new product advancement for the Palm OS. Some even mentioned purchasing Windows based handheld devices. But, the fact is, that Palm has the best most intuitive operating system available for someone who actually uses his handheld. Anyone using Windows Based devices must be pulling their hair out. I tried one for a few days and found that the management of extensive To Do lists, setting priorities, etc is just terrible. Those who use them are probably like most PC users. The have the device and just keep it for show. Otherwise the use is as an air purifier; just collecting dust.

In my business, I carry an active database of about 5,000 contacts. The Palm works great in managing those contacts and associated To Do's. That, combined with the Daylight Contact manager has been fantastic. I juse my T3 to dial my Sony T610 via Bluetooth. This allows me to chain dial contacts in my To Do list.

In addition, I was talked into using a Blackberry for a month. One of my customers gave it to me as a present. After a month of using that piece of junk, I put it back in the box and went back to my T3.

Sure, the Palm OS could stand some updating, but it is a great operating system.
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 4, 2005, 09:12 PM

I have a windows mobile PDA and I like it much better than palm's OS.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2005, 09:16 PM

I DESPISE the Palm OS. Such utter crap. I love the Windows OS on handhelds.

It doesn't take the Palm OS to manage contacts. Hell, db3 used to do that in the 80's. Any decent OS can manage that.

Not to mention the customization on the Palm OS is ZERO.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2005, 09:22 PM

It's funny, 5 years ago I used a Palm device daily and couldn't be without it. For the last 2+ years I've used a paper journal along w/ a fountain pen and couldn't be happier.

I no longer have any desire to have a PDA.

Chris

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 08:40 AM

Memory Management on Windows mobile is terrible, I have 256 Meg ram and the thing is always complaining. Palm OS never did that.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 09:18 AM

I can't dump on Palm too much. At least there's decent support for my Zire 72 connected to Entourage. And I've been watching Mp4 movies on it for over a year, thanks to third party apps.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 11:31 AM

I'm still loving my Treo. Multitasking would be great, but it isn't worth the hassle of PocketPC.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2005, 11:59 AM

I don't think Windows Mobile (or whatever they call it these days) is perfect, either. But the Palm OS hasn't really evolved from its simple PIM roots. The Windows Mobile based machines are more like little handheld computers. Now, that's both good AND bad. I used to have a Toshiba PDA what would crash constantly. Replaced it with an HP iPaq and its runs very, very well. Nice programs like Pocket Informant with way more power than anything I've found on the Palm OS.

(and the above is strictly my opinion©®™ and agreement with said statements is not required - though encouraged)

Interestingly though, since I can access my iCal, Address Book and Safari bookmarks from any web-connected machine, and since at work I'm never more than 10 feet away from a PC with a web browser, I don't use my PDA any more. Add to that my 512MB Cruzer Mini keychain drive and my iSync-able SE T637 cell phone, and my PDA days are long gone.

I have, however, finally gotten my wife to use one (she's taken on my old Sony Clié, connected to her iMac).

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 01:13 PM

I've used both and I like both,
My favorite PDA was the Tungsten T3 but the sliding design was its undoing as a design flaw caused the digitizier to go out of whack.

The [palm] OS is outdated and has not really undergone any major revisions for so many years that it really is a non-issue. Palmos (or what ever they're calling themselves) dropped the ball with cobalt, then dropped the os in favor os a linux system to date nothing has appeared except promises.

meanwhile MS has been updating their os and it seems pretty decent. The latest incarnation WM5 seems a bit buggy, I was lucky enough that my axim was upgradable which I did, but I rolled back wm2003 as it was faster and more stable.

Mike

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 5, 2005, 03:28 PM

Windows Mobile does kinda suck. It's utilities and settings for wi-fi for example, are very very confusing. I need an 'adaptor' to use built in wifi?! WTF? Stuff like that is sketchy, but it's better than palm's OS. My huge gripe is that each build of windows mobile is machine specific, and if a manufacturer drops the support of an older product, there is NO WAY you can ever upgrade your machine. Windows Mobile 2005 is supposed to be much faster, better battery life, and better wifi access with a few other great upgrades, and I simply CANNOT upgrade because Toshiba has stated that "e740s were ahead of their time, and seeing as how they still offer a lot of options and have a lot of capabilities, Toshiba has decided not to allow you to upgrade to windows mobile 2005"

****ing jerks. Don't get toshiba products.

hayesk
Dec 5, 2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Timothy Maxwell
Everyone is complaining about the lack of new product advancement for the Palm OS. Some even mentioned purchasing Windows based handheld devices. But, the fact is, that Palm has the best most intuitive operating system available for someone who actually uses his handheld. Anyone using Windows Based devices must be pulling their hair out.

PalmOS was designed for handheld use. PocketPC was a crappy desktop OS crammed into a handheld.

If only NewtonOS made it into a modern handheld.

Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2005, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Windows Mobile does kinda suck. It's utilities and settings for wi-fi for example, are very very confusing. I need an 'adaptor' to use built in wifi?! WTF? Stuff like that is sketchy, but it's better than palm's OS. My huge gripe is that each build of windows mobile is machine specific, and if a manufacturer drops the support of an older product, there is NO WAY you can ever upgrade your machine. Windows Mobile 2005 is supposed to be much faster, better battery life, and better wifi access with a few other great upgrades, and I simply CANNOT upgrade because Toshiba has stated that "e740s were ahead of their time, and seeing as how they still offer a lot of options and have a lot of capabilities, Toshiba has decided not to allow you to upgrade to windows mobile 2005"

****ing jerks. Don't get toshiba products.
You see! That is exactly the point. So what that Microsoft keeps updating their OS! Their OS is so complicated and buggy that they have to keep updating it. That is why Windoz People keep running out to buy the updates. They're hoping that the next one will work right. Has is ever? NO. Yet, everyone wants one. Amazing.

The beauty of the Palm OS is that it is what some have complained about. IT IS SIMPLE, WELL STRUCTURED FOR WHAT IS DESIGNED TO DO and THAT'S IT.

Isn't that the way an OS is supposed to be. The Palm is designed to assist in managing your contacts, appointments and and daily action lists. Everthing else is extra.

I, like many others, eagerly await advancements in the design and functionality of the Palm OS. But, if these advancements take away from the simplicity that it currently has, I will do without it.
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 5, 2005, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Timothy Maxwell
You see! That is exactly the point. So what that Microsoft keeps updating their OS! Their OS is so complicated and buggy that they have to keep updating it. That is why Windoz People keep running out to buy the updates. They're hoping that the next one will work right. Has is ever? NO. Yet, everyone wants one. Amazing.

The beauty of the Palm OS is that it is what some have complained about. IT IS SIMPLE, WELL STRUCTURED FOR WHAT IS DESIGNED TO DO and THAT'S IT.

Isn't that the way an OS is supposed to be. The Palm is designed to assist in managing your contacts, appointments and and daily action lists. Everthing else is extra.

I, like many others, eagerly await advancements in the design and functionality of the Palm OS. But, if these advancements take away from the simplicity that it currently has, I will do without it.
You didn't read what I wrote. I don't want the upgrade so it does something right that it's currently doing wrong, I want it for the same reason I wanted tiger: Nifty new features, better performance, and better battery life. The biggest reason is that programs written to take advantage of some of the newer features in the latest windows mobile will simply NOT WORK with pocketpc 2002. It's doing nothing WRONG, but I want it faster and more efficient. It also has superior handwriting recognition in comparison to palm devices.

Forum Links
Forum Rules