Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2 version of Finder

10.2 version of Finder
KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Apr 24, 2002, 01:55 AM

Will it be as fast and featured as the latest version of Snax? Snax is seriously fast now and I'm getting tempted to buy it but am worried that the new Finder will have all the options people wanted.

Hash
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 02:18 AM

Kelly, after all you still using macs? You have my respect..

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2002, 02:34 AM

How much faster is it?

Buy it anyhow, cuz even if the finder becomes faster, it wont be as fully featured as SNAX.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 02:42 AM

You ask an unanswerable question.

Real smooth.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Apr 24, 2002, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by Hornet:
<STRONG>How much faster is it?

Buy it anyhow, cuz even if the finder becomes faster, it wont be as fully featured as SNAX.</STRONG>
Snax is super fast. It has labels and spring loaded folders and contextual menus. But it does not intergrate with OSX well. It does not turn up in Open and Save dialogues within applications. If 10.2's Finder is as fast as Snax then all power to Apple.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 04:32 AM

Let me start this topic by mentioning something everyone is interested in then quickly move on to plug some product.

SNAX is alcohol free and its cavity fighting formula will get your kids better grades while lowering your cholesterol.

As with any risky multi-level marketing scheme, only your doctor can tell you if SNAX is right for you.

:-)
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2002, 04:46 AM

OH MY GOD! SNAX rocks!!

I hadn't used it in a long while, but my god its fast now!
I ahve now replaced my finder. SNAX works SO much better, its amazing

1. SNAX auto opens on boot
2. In snax, file-&gt;show snax desktop (gets rid of your desktop, easier to just hit the desktop button in the toolbar
3. Customised the toolbar to work well for me. Its now great
4. Turned on effectively... one click open on icons (2 clicks for the text). Works SO well

This really rocks. SNAX feels great, put it in list view, remove some clutter in the toolbar, and it just works well. Spring loaded folders are great. I just hope the dude fixes the search function.... you can choose between a locate style UNIX command (fast, but needs updating database + I get so many junk results) and a sherlock style - but pre 10.1.4, so its drop dead slow. If only that can be fixed...

An amazing utility I forgot how good it was. ****ing fast too

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Apr 24, 2002, 04:50 AM

What happened to that guy who was writing a cool Finder? Whidbey or something I think his name was.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2002, 05:38 AM

Snax is very impressive - reminds me a bit of late versions (v6+) of Directory Opus on the Amiga in a funny sort of way... There's a couple of things preventing me using it, though. I like having custom icons, and I like being able to lay out my icons as I want them.

Also, Apple are very good about quality control on the features they implement. There may be a few features you'd like, but you'll never have to worry about ease-of-use or feature creep. A bit of tweaking and the X Finder will be great for me.

Chris

hew
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2002, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by clebin:
<STRONG>Snax is very impressive - reminds me a bit of late versions (v6+) of Directory Opus on the Amiga in a funny sort of way... There's a couple of things preventing me using it, though. I like having custom icons, and I like being able to lay out my icons as I want them.

Also, Apple are very good about quality control on the features they implement. There may be a few features you'd like, but you'll never have to worry about ease-of-use or feature creep. A bit of tweaking and the X Finder will be great for me.

Chris</STRONG>
Hmm... well you can have custom icons, it's an option in the view menu of SNAX I believe. And as for laying out your icons as you want them, I don't understand what you mean by that..

real
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2002, 06:14 AM

But it does not intergrate with OSX

I agree
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

derbs
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 06:30 AM

there's one thing about 10 that *really* annoys me. You know in OS9 when you click anywhere on the desktop from another app, all the Finder windows appear.

In 10 this doesn't happen! You have to manually click on the Finder icon in the dock. Anyone know if 10.2 will fix this, or whether there's any extension that does the same?

bluedog
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by derbs:
<STRONG>there's one thing about 10 that *really* annoys me. You know in OS9 when you click anywhere on the desktop from another app, all the Finder windows appear.

In 10 this doesn't happen! You have to manually click on the Finder icon in the dock. Anyone know if 10.2 will fix this, or whether there's any extension that does the same?</STRONG>
You can double-click on the finder icon in the dock and bring all windows to the front. Its not an elegant solution, but Apple wants all windows to function independently of one another. Its a *feature*.

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2002, 07:12 AM

I just tried Snax and I like almost everything apart from:

Oops, I just tried again (the new version) and all the thing I didn't like are fixed...

My only reservation is not being able to turn off the navigation bar at the top of the window (the one that lets you see where you are in the file system) and the inability to choose custom icon sizes for icon view like you can in the Finder.

I wonder why, if a developer can make an application like Snax so fast, Apple seems to be completely incapable of doing the same thing with its own software?

stupidFish23
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2002, 07:21 AM

get RBrowser! you will never again want to take a look at the Finder...

nothing is when everything is alright
[email protected] ICQ: 153647416

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2002, 08:05 AM

About a month ago I took the plunge:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
defaults write com.apple.loginwindow Finder /MyApplications/SNAX.app
</font>[/code]

Everything is better now. Especially for coding - I can view the entire contents of text files in a drawer, I have one-button launch of BBEdit or ProjectBuilder, and drag-and-drop with spring-loaded folders just works.

Every now and then I have to launch the Finder, mainly if I want to paste a custom icon. But I then run a little Applescript to quit the Finder again, and life is good.

MrOutline
Apr 24, 2002, 09:11 AM

SNAX improves at every release it seems. The one thing I wish it did better (and wish the Finder did AT ALL) is when you are in column view and select a folder, there would info listed somewhere about the size of the folder and the number of items if the folder. The latest SNAX does put more info in the preview drawer which is great, but it's still not the folder size/contents. When I'm deep in nested folders I want to know the info about that folder without doing a command-i everytime. In the glorious X Finder all you get as info in window is how much space is taken/available on the partition you're currently in. It would be much more helpful if it changed to the selected folder info. When I'm inside folders deep in my hard drive, I want info about where I am, not how much space is available on my hard drive!

The app Greg's Browser in 9.x has had this kind of folder info (size/item #/modification dates) incorporated for the last 2 years or so. It would be nice to have it in the X Finder/SNAX.

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: MrOutline ]

eno
Banned
Apr 24, 2002, 09:17 AM

<STRONG>there's one thing about 10 that *really* annoys me. You know in OS9 when you click anywhere on the desktop from another app, all the Finder windows appear.

In 10 this doesn't happen! You have to manually click on the Finder icon in the dock. Anyone know if 10.2 will fix this, or whether there's any extension that does the same?</STRONG>
Download Menuversum and Yapsu (these were formerly part of a package known as ASM). Then you can have your OS 9 Application Switcher Menu back AND set it up so that all Finder windows come to the front when you click on the Desktop.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 10:00 AM

Manually click on the Finder icon in the Dock as opposed to what? Automatically clicking on the desktop!? LOL.

10.2 will certainly not 'fix' this. If you want such an archaic window layering model go back to OS 9.

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2002, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:
<STRONG>

10.2 will certainly not 'fix' this. If you want such an archaic window layering model go back to OS 9.</STRONG>
I agree. The desktop metaphor should be killed with a stake through its heart. The desktop no longer serves a useful function. In an operating system which makes it very likely you will have 10 apps open at once, the probability of seeing something on the desktop without hiding everything else (or being very careful about window placement) is nil. OSX should promote interoperability/drag and drop and not being able to access files quickly from any app is ridiculous and counter to this philosophy. Apple should implement customizable shelves that slide out from the edge of the screen ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE where we can put whatever we want. These shelves would simply be linked to folders so that if you download things to your download folder they will appear in your download shelf. Imagine pop-up folders, but you could put them on any edge of the screen, would look like window drawers, and would appear above everything else like the dock.

The only thing the desktop should be used for is pretty pictures.

kman

kman

oranjdisc
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 10:29 AM

How f#@&ing sad it is that we have to replace the Finder with some third party app.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by oranjdisc:
<STRONG>How f#@&ing sad it is that we have to replace the Finder with some third party app. </STRONG>
Yes but, I'm sure one of the main goals of OS X was to aid small developers in making really cool apps by making the operating system more open - allowing third parties to replace parts of OS X (that suck ).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2002, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Krypton:
<STRONG>

Yes but, I'm sure one of the main goals of OS X was to aid small developers in making really cool apps by making the operating system more open - allowing third parties to replace parts of OS X (that suck ).</STRONG>
Let me put it right:

I'm sure one of the main goals of OS X was to aid small developers in making really cool apps by making the operating system more CRAPPY - allowing third parties to replace parts of OS X (that suck )

That's what you anted to say, in'it ?

-t

K++
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 12:30 PM

SNAX is not a feature rich as the finder, and it is ugly compared to it. The toolbar is not nearly as customizable as the finder. In the finder oyu can put anything you want there, and them use them that way. When i put an app in there, I can still drag and drop document ontu it, when i put a folder i can still drop stuff into that folder by dropping them ontu it.

Drawers are not good UI elements, they are meant for things that arent needed all the time. So a preview pane in a drawer is idiotic, even worse is the fact that when I resize my columns the movie doesnt resize. I have to resize the actual drawer, WTF? Even worse it plays the movie as soon as I hit reach it, since the majority of my stuff are divxs and it takes a LONG time for them to load. even worse is that when you resize the pane it the has to restart the movie, WTF!!?

Have they ever heard of drag and drop? the toolbar is a POS, it is next to useless, it lacks huge amounts of customization. People talk about SNAX in such high regard but every time i give it another try I go running back to the Finder. The directory is useless in column view, the nature of column view is that you know where you are and where you went to get there. So WTF do i have a history at at the top of my screen. The only thing that makes it fast is that it caches everything, and i mean everything. The first time you run it, it is dog slow, then it just remembers each and every folder and can load them instantly. A finder isnt supposed to do that. spring loaded folders in column view really suck, i dont want a half-assed list view in columns I want a real column view. The columns dont even keep a uniform width after i resize the first column, they are all independent of each other, that is not what I want. I want to only resize one or two columns that i feel are too small, not EVERY column.

It has to tell you the preview pane is a preview? WTF?! i know that thats y i opened it.

You guys have lost touch with the Finder it is both more full featured and capable then SNAX. running things as root is useless to me since I never have need to run photoshop as root, or omniweb. You forget there is a reason why r00t is hidden from users. It should be largely inaccesible.

MinivanH8R
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2002, 12:43 PM

Well, I'll keep this short and sweet...I paid for Snax, and I think it was well worth the money. It's faster, has more features, and is much more customizable to my liking than the X Finder.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2002, 01:19 PM

Reading this Finder thread iTunes brought up a Ben Folds Five which seemed oddly appropriate.

From the back of your big brown eyes
I knew you'd be gone as soon as you could
And I hoped you would.

We could see that you weren't yourself
And the lines on your face did tell
It's just as well
You'd never be yourself again.

Just thought I'd share that with you. I think that's getting a bit TOO emotional, mind.

Chris

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2002, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by K++:
[QB]Drawers are not good UI elements, they are meant for things that arent needed all the time. So a preview pane in a drawer is idiotic
What is even more idiotic, is the fact that the OSX finder makes icons MOVING TARGETS! Thats about the worst UI thing you can do! A preview drawer makes far more sense.
1. You don't need it all the time. Just open it when you do
2. When you hit an icon, it doesn't JUMP LEFT, to show the preview
3. Finder preview SUCKS! It gives little data, resulting in the need to Apple-I the item to find out what your looking for! SNAX gives far more. Then again, SNAX's Get Info is a HELL of a lot better than X finder's

The directory is useless in column view, the nature of column view is that you know where you are and where you went to get there. So WTF do i have a history at at the top of my screen.
Once I tried SNAX, I realised just how much I really wanted list view instead. The way I see it, list view has so many advantages over column view. First, it gives data on the files (a huge plus for me, this is crucial), like size, mod date etc. Second, with SNAX, you retain the column view one click open (with hotspot + icon if you wish, as I do - navigation is so quick). Third, the history is very handy in list view, as is the directory listing, allowing you to jump back easily.

Column view in SNAX is flawed, I'd give you that. But I so prefer list view to any column view

The only thing that makes it fast is that it caches everything, and i mean everything. The first time you run it, it is dog slow, then it just remembers each and every folder and can load them instantly.
"dog slow". Have you tried the latest version? (as of a few days ago). its quick, very quick. I have a G4/466, and the X finder feels slow from a power user point of view. I tried a G4/933 yesterday, and guess what, SNAX on my mac makes my 466 feel faster than the store's 933 running X finder! The responsiveness is incredible. Workflow efficiency is improved dramatically.

The X finder is just so damn buggy anyway. It can't remember any settings what so ever, I have to open/close the finder window multiple times for it to "magically" come back to the settings I want. No thanks, that just wastes time.

spring loaded folders in column view really suck, i dont want a half-assed list view in columns I want a real column view.
I haven't used SNAX's spring loaded folders in column, but they sure rock supreme in list view! They work perfectly. I have been missing this feature for ages. Does the X finder have it? Nuh!

It has to tell you the preview pane is a preview? WTF?! i know that thats y i opened it.
As does OSX 10.2's finder
Thats all I'm going to say.

You guys have lost touch with the Finder it is both more full featured and capable then SNAX.
What it all comes down to in the end, is how it effects the user.
For me, it has far more features:
- Spring loaded folders
- One click list view
- Preview pane in list view
- Far better Get Info bar
- Better toolbar (cocoa + more options for it)
- SO MUCH FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Convert image, right in the menu (great for screenshots)
- "SNAX Desktop" mode. Truely great. Hides all the desktop clutter, easier to access in the desktop folder anyhow (a toolbar icon for me)

Its just better... more efficient. I get to where I want to get faster, I get what I want to get done faster, I enjoy using it more.

Thats simply it.

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: Hornet ]

wingdo
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 10:43 PM

<STRONG>Reading this Finder thread iTunes brought up a Ben Folds Five which seemed oddly appropriate.
</STRONG>
There's a first for everything.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 11:17 PM

K++: Drawers are not good UI elements, they are meant for things that arent needed all the time. So a preview pane in a drawer is idiotic

Exactly how does a preview not fit that criteria? The number of times I need a preview is rather small. I'd like being able to hit some visual interfact item in the window that would pull out a drawer so as to see the preview. So long as the drawer remains open until shut and reflects the state of whatever object is clicked upon, there is no problem.

I think that the criticisms of the Finder on the basis of what information Preview shows are valid. However I find the general way of showing it fine. As I said, I'd prefer a drawer more akin to the drawer that pops out of Quicktime. But having it in a colum is find to me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2002, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by Hornet:
<STRONG>OH MY GOD! SNAX rocks!!

I hadn't used it in a long while, but my god its fast now!
I ahve now replaced my finder. SNAX works SO much better, its amazing

I forgot how good it was. ****ing fast too</STRONG>
Ok, I've tried the latest version of Snax.
It'S not fast at all, resizing is so bad, it takes 2-4 seconds until the window actually reacts.

But even worse: within a couple of hours I had two "crashes" - the spinning "pizza" (*lol*) of death, forever. I had to manually switch off and reboot

ergo: not usable !

-t

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2002, 05:14 AM

I find SNAX slow too - but apart from that I love it. There are definately a few features here that Apple should incorporate.

But...there's nothing wrong with having 3rd party file managers ! This is standard fare on Linux, and also happens with Windows.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2002, 10:18 AM

I remember Jobs saying how with the OS X he was looking forward to people developing and using all sorts of Finder replacements. I can't imagine that's still Apple's strategy - or even that Jobs didn't change his mind the following day.

I mean, how could Apple endorse 3rd party Finders, but be so down on a simple thing like schemes?

Chris

K++
Senior User
Apr 25, 2002, 10:31 AM

SNAX slow the first time your run it. Quit and then start it again and then you'll see the speed everyone else is talking about. Thats one ofmy points confirmed.

Onto the others. The column view provides the same info as list view, it only seems less informative since its in a pageal its own. What Appleneeds todo is allow people to specify what type of information they want to see in there.

In icon view springloaded folders may be cool, but in column they really suck they become lists in columns, I HATE THAT. Another thing I hate is that each column has the name of the previous folder, yet you still have a history bar at the topm that is more than redundant, its annoying.

Hornet knows something about 10.2, lets beat it out of him!!!!

as for your later points:
- Spring loaded folders
WE'll get this
- One click list view
heh
- Preview pane in list view
list is for info, column is just cooler
- Far better Get Info bar
Well I prefer Command-I for great info.
- Better toolbar (cocoa + more options for it)
WHat are you on? The toolbar does not support real draggig and dropping of anything,it only has the customize function, but you cant take a random folder and drop it in.
- SO MUCH FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
after the first time.
- Convert image, right in the menu (great for screenshots)
try imagemajick and the convert command
- "SNAX Desktop" mode. Truely great. Hides all the desktop clutter, easier to access in the desktop folder anyhow (a toolbar icon for me)
I want multiple windows and to see whats on my desktop thats y I made it the way it is in the first place, to use it.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2002, 10:32 AM

I mean, how could Apple endorse 3rd party Finders, but be so down on a simple thing like schemes?

Chris[/QB]

Creating a consistent visual identity. A easy to sum-up look and feel. Marketing.

It's crazy, isn't it? But in Apple's topsyturvy world it almost (almost) makes sense.

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2002, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by K++:
<STRONG>
WHat are you on? The toolbar does not support real draggig and dropping of anything,it only has the customize function, but you cant take a random folder and drop it in.</STRONG>

Uh. Sure you can. You can drag anything from the Finder into the Finder toolbar-- folder, files, apps, scripts, etc.

Bruce O'Neal
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2002, 02:39 PM

i want to be able to e-mail from the finder. is that something they are working on?
"Define your own reality!"

K++
Senior User
Apr 26, 2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by mpmchugh:
<STRONG>

Uh. Sure you can. You can drag anything from the Finder into the Finder toolbar-- folder, files, apps, scripts, etc.</STRONG>
I was talking about SNAX's toolbar, which sucks by the way.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Bruce O'Neal:
<STRONG>i want to be able to e-mail from the finder. is that something they are working on?</STRONG>
I think services has the potential for this, but damn if I've ever seen someone actually use services....time will tell no doubt.

zerologic
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2002, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
<STRONG>I think services has the potential for this, but damn if I've ever seen someone actually use services....time will tell no doubt.</STRONG>
I love services, but the only carbon App I use that uses them is BBEdit. All others (IE, PS7, FH7, ILL10, Office X etc.) don't. This is why no one uses them... they can't unless they're using a cocoa app. How many of those does the average X user use?

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Fully dynamic web site Starting Points.[/FONT]

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 08:41 PM

I tried Snax and like many found it a too slow and a tad too "cluttered" and cumbersome. One thing I've always loved about the Mac was its minimalist design over the clutter that often was on PCs.

However someone suggested Coela and I got it and love it. First off it is faster than the Finder. I don't think it is multitasked, although I'm not sure. But it sure is more responsive. It has a bit of a mixed interface. (Columns look like the OS9 Finder too much) However it uses a small font, which I like and does everything I need. I just wish it had an Application folder button on the bottom of the Window. Even better it has Labels ala OS9! It also has a handy "Copy Posix Path" command, although I'd like an "open terminal to current position" command as well.

So while it isn't perfect, it sure is damn good and far superior to the Finder. It does Services as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules