Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I hate my effing AppleTV

I hate my effing AppleTV
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2009, 10:35 PM

So, I'm already on my second ATV, the first one was bad as well.

My ATV is connected via ethernet, and keeps losing the connection to iTunes.
Restarting iTunes doesn't help, I have to force reboot the ATV via pressing Menu and - for 5 seconds. Of course that takes about 2 minutes everytime.

I really hate this sh!t. Why is it so hard to make a piece of hardware that keeps being connected ?

AAARRRRRRRRGH...

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2009, 11:38 PM

Are you sure it's your Apple TV and not the network connection?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2009, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Are you sure it's your Apple TV and not the network connection?
Can't rule that out 100%, but if you google a bit, it seems like others are having the same problem, even with ethernet.

I'm on my 3rd reboot this evening. Motherf***er.

-t

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2009, 11:55 PM

And reboot #4.

Btw, doubt it's the network, Youtube works fine on the ATV, it just doesn't connect to iTunes.

&$%# you, Apple. Fix thsi darn thing.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2009, 02:57 AM

I thought I remembered you arguing pretty heavily in favor of the ATV in another thread not that long ago. j/k

No seriously, have you considered just replacing the ATV with a Mac mini? Get a cheap refurb unit, put FR, VLC, etc. on it and use that. You'll have a faster system with more capacity that gives you better control over what you want to do. Needless to say they're actually reliable for home media serving.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 28, 2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo)

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2009, 04:33 AM

Have you considered trying a different ethernet cable first... it could be faulty.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2009, 08:38 AM

I had the same problem with mine several iTunes versions ago. Seemed to me as though iTunes was doing something that corrupted the Bonjour network; if I repaired Bonjour (something possible on Windows, but not Macs), the connection would re-establish until I shut down iTunes, and then it would corrupt again. And, it clearly wasn't the network, since Boxee was easily able to see everything on my network.

I thoroughly enjoy my aTV, but it's OS has been quite buggy, and I find iTunes to be 10x worse. Bloated, slow and riddled with bugs. If it wasn't the only media manager that worked properly for iPods, I wouldn't touch the thing with a 10 foot pole. I've already migrated off of iTunes for my aTV since Boxee emerged.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I thought I remembered you arguing pretty heavily in favor of the ATV in another thread not that long ago. j/k
Uhm, not really.

AppleTV is a piece of crap

I might have said in some other thread that the idea / concept of the AppleTV is good, but the hard- and software have sucked for a while.

-t

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Have you considered trying a different ethernet cable first... it could be faulty.
NO !

The network connection is good. I can watch trailers, watch Youtube videos etc. It's the iTunes "connection" that's broken.

-t

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I had the same problem with mine several iTunes versions ago. Seemed to me as though iTunes was doing something that corrupted the Bonjour network; if I repaired Bonjour (something possible on Windows, but not Macs), the connection would re-establish until I shut down iTunes, and then it would corrupt again. And, it clearly wasn't the network, since Boxee was easily able to see everything on my network.

I thoroughly enjoy my aTV, but it's OS has been quite buggy, and I find iTunes to be 10x worse. Bloated, slow and riddled with bugs. If it wasn't the only media manager that worked properly for iPods, I wouldn't touch the thing with a 10 foot pole. I've already migrated off of iTunes for my aTV since Boxee emerged.
Have you tried Yamipod?

I use i-Funbox with my iPhone now that they've cracked the iTunes database stuff for the 2.2.1 update, but I think that's Windows-only.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules