Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Locked up iMac...ARG!

Locked up iMac...ARG!
QA Test Dude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2001, 11:22 AM

Hopefully someone out there can help me here....

I wandered into my test lab Monday morning to find my iMac powered down. No biggy, until I booted up and got the "floppy icon with the flashing ?". The unit has OS X with "Classic" set to boot at startup. I placed the OS X disk in and got the "happy Mac" but now it's locked up, never getting past this stage.

My question is this...

1) Can anyone tell me how to eject the disk at this point? All attempts have failed.

2) Can anyone tell me how to command-key to boot off the CD in case I need to re-install?

Any help in this arena would help.

Thanks!!

------------------
"Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep in the Earth"
"Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep in the Earth"

JeffZPgh
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2001, 11:33 AM

If it's a slot-loading CD drive, you can eject the CD by sticking a paper clip in the little hole towards the right edge of the slot - do it *while* you're turning the power on and it should eject.

I'm new to this, but I believe you can choose your boot device on startup by holding down "c" as you power on.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

Forum Links
Forum Rules