Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Power adapter malfunctioning?

Power adapter malfunctioning?
whoosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 02:53 AM

Hello. I FINALLY got a powerbook, after about a year of really wanting one. It's a beauty too, 15" 1.25 Combo/512/BL/60. However, the power adapter seems to have stopped working! It worked the first time I used it, showing an amber glow while the battery was charging and then a green one when it was fully charged. But for some reason, that colored ring no longer lights up, and when my battery still had charge on it, the powerbook didn't detect it being plugged in when it was plugged in. I've gone around my entire house trying outlet after outlet, but nothing seems to work. Anyone else have this problem, or know if I can swap my (probably) broken power adapter with one at my local Apple Store? Any info would help a whole bunch. Thanks. Oh, and this is my very first Apple. I hope the rest of my Apple experience goes smoother than this one.

Eric

PHYMAC
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 11:01 AM

My power adapter for my 17" died after about 4 months. My light would still work but it would not charge. I don't think the apple store will replace unless you got it from there fairly recently. Since I had ordered mine online I didn't bother going to the Apple Store and I just called apple and got one shipped to me immediatley (3 days). Try the Apple Store though...

whoosh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 06:59 PM

Thanks a lot. I went to the store today and got a new one. It was a quick and painless process.

DavidRac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by PHYMAC:
My power adapter for my 17" died after about 4 months. My light would still work but it would not charge. I don't think the apple store will replace unless you got it from there fairly recently. Since I had ordered mine online I didn't bother going to the Apple Store and I just called apple and got one shipped to me immediatley (3 days). Try the Apple Store though...
A quick question -- you say your light stayed on, but the PB wouldn't charge -- did the light change from green to orange? Or just sit at green? My PB has what sounds like a similar issue -- light on, powering the PB fine but not charging the battery.

DavidRac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by PHYMAC:
A quick question -- you say your light stayed on, but the PB wouldn't charge -- did the light change from green to orange? Or just sit at green? My PB has what sounds like a similar issue -- light on, powering the PB fine but not charging the battery.

Forum Links
Forum Rules