Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Repaired

iBook Repaired
businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2003, 02:26 PM

Well, I was using my iBook on Thursday or so of last week, and suddenly I saw rainbow colors on the screen and the music it was playing suddenly stopped. I was pretty sure the video card, screen, or motherboard just went kaput. Of course, it did turn out to be the logic board.

Anyway, I sent it in on Sunday, fully expecting to get it around Friday of this week. Well, it just came today and I'm typing on it now. Yay!

Apple really knows how to service it's customers.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

CrazedVW
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by businezguy:
Apple really knows how to service it's customers.
Get used to it since I'd put money on it that you'll be going through it again in two months or so.
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

foamy
Senior User
Jul 31, 2003, 01:43 AM

Yup.

If you plan on keeping it past the 1 year warranty, buy AppleCare as you WILL be sending it in for repair again.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2003, 10:28 AM

Is frequent repair the case for all laptops or just Apple's? I'd like to replace my 1999 iMac with an iBook but it's beginning to sound like a black pit, especially in Canadian currency.

14" iBook -$2200
Applecare-$389
15% sales tax
TOTAL: $2977 CND

And add in the costs of lost productivity due to sending it in for repairs a couple times a year? Yikes!
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

imactheknife
Jul 31, 2003, 11:55 AM

Hi there, just a note..at a local store here in Alberta I bought ibook applecare for $259 CDN...and then there was ibook applecare for $389 is the only difference between them the techtool for OSX? I bought the cheaper of the two anyways! $130 more for the OSX version as if! and applecare is cheaper if you but it in the states even with the exchange...have to love Canada..highest taxed country in the world..

mpbnl8182
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2003, 08:24 AM

I would venture to say that it's the same for all laptops. I haven't bought my applecare yet -- but I will (I didn't have the $180 dollars when I bought the computer, a replacement for my PC laptop that died a few months out of warranty). Especially if you are using this as a portable, the warranty will save you money in the end, if not just giving you peace of mind.

MP
Officially Windows Free as of 7/23/03

iBook 800
B&W G4 400

Nyuni
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 09:00 AM

I went through the same problem back in May with my Opaque 700 - logic board died. I was experiencing odd screen artifacts just before it finally went dead.. took it to my local Apple Store, and they had it back to me in two days. So I'm happy.

Now yesterday, I notice the same artifacts cropping up again! I'm still under warranty, but jeez.. this is the second time in 3 months! I would've hoped that a new logic board would have lasted longer than that.. I've always known Apple products to be of high quality, but twice in the repair shop within a three month span for a laptop that's -babied- day in and day out seems a little off-base.
The Quintessential Featherhead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules