Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Dreamweaver -> GoLive?

View Poll Results: Dreamweaver or GoLive?
Poll Options:
Dreamweaver MX, baby! 18 votes (72.00%)
GoLive. No question about it. 7 votes (28.00%)
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll
Dreamweaver -> GoLive?
macgeekjay
Jan 24, 2003, 10:43 PM

I'm sure this has been covered in quite detail awhile back, but I need some advice from some fellow Mac users.

I've been using Dreamweaver since it's debut and love it. I really can't wait for Contribute!!!

BUT... I'm getting a bit unhappy with DW's performance on my QuickSilver 933mHz system. It's not bad.... but..... Honestly, Macromedia is a PC company where Adobe is more of a Mac company.

I downloaded the GoLive demo (I used it before it was bought by Adobe) and tried to open one of my DW sites and it crashes. Won't even open it up.

Any thoughts? Advice? Switch, don't switch? Dreamweaver just seems like it's going.... away or something.

Macanoid
Senior User
Jan 25, 2003, 11:04 AM

For me it's neither. Freeway all the way baby! It's one of those Mac only programs that are simply unbelievable!

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2003, 06:35 PM

Well, I don't want to use products by Macro(Micro$soft)media if I can help it. GoLive isn't a 5-star editor, but it's as powerful as DW and feels like a Mac App. DW always feels like it's been developed on a PC and then 'graciously' ported to mac.

I pretty much use GL for mockups and then transfer it to BBEdit to clean up and optimise.
Computer thez nohhh...

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2003, 05:31 PM

i was gl through and through but have found dweaver MX to be the development app i have always been looking for, i like its 'pc' freindliness'.

It also has no problems talking to any other programme, haven't used gl 6 but am happy enough with mx, it looks after me, and if your like me and do a lot of front end work that needs to be handed on to other companies for backend development or integration into existing internet or intranet sites which tend to be developed on windoze, nothing touches it!
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

macgeekjay  (op)
Jan 29, 2003, 01:53 PM

Thanks everyone for your votes and replies to this post!

I've really rooted through as much info as I can on both DW and GL, watched as many VTC's as I can get my hands on and used GL's demo for the past few weeks.

I'm gonna stick with DW and pray (:: crosses fingers : they never get bought by M$ or really start lagging with OS X support.

THANKS!

Forum Links
Forum Rules