Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ANN: Paper & Plastic 1.0

ANN: Paper & Plastic 1.0
phillryu
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 04:24 PM

"The second theme to be released based on a mockup entered in our recent theme mockup contest (the first was ProLCD), Paper & Plastic is a unique theme that places 2D "paper" elements inside 3D "plastic" containers. Think a graphical representation of Apple's Quartz Extreme. The package is a collaboration by mockup designer Mike Matas, themer Patcarla, application skin designer Harlan Lewis, and desktop artist Jasper Hauser. The package also includes a Konfabulator widget by Ken Mastri, a desktop in several fruity color variations by Adam Betts, and a logo and set of desktops by DigitalJames."

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2004, 04:32 PM

thanks! w00t first one in!!!

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2004, 04:39 PM

The more I use it the more I like it. Very nice theme. Though, I do not really see what was done to Mail as far as a skin.

Jaey
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 04:41 PM

A Konfabulator widget? Um... OK. Nice widget, but isn't that kind of random?
Nice desktops, but I'm still not sure how much I like the theme. The contrast between the paper and plastic doesn't seem to go very well. I do like it better than I expected though, so I may end up loving it.
Good work.

EDIT: I just applied it. It's VERY nice.
( Last edited by Jaey; May 24, 2004 at 04:46 PM. )

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by servo:
The more I use it the more I like it. Very nice theme. Though, I do not really see what was done to Mail as far as a skin.
As far as I can remember, just the badge in the dock that counts the number of new messages.
DigitalRamen sucks.

idle
Forum Regular
May 24, 2004, 05:28 PM

Let me post this officially here: I was very sceptical (even though it was better than a lot of other entries) about this theme when i first saw it at the contest but now that i'm using it for a little while i must admit that i'm quite impressed. It is very easy on the eyes - unlike my forthcoming theme. SOo, congrats guys. Very nice job you've done here. I like it.

regards, [ idle. ]

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:
A Konfabulator widget? Um... OK. Nice widget, but isn't that kind of random?
Nice desktops, but I'm still not sure how much I like the theme. The contrast between the paper and plastic doesn't seem to go very well. I do like it better than I expected though, so I may end up loving it.
Good work.

EDIT: I just applied it. It's VERY nice.
I think Konfabulator is a great addition to GUI customization, and it can help hurdle some of the many limitations designers come across when they try to theme OS X at the moment. The clock widget was not my ideal choice, and I would have loved for Ken Mastri to have designed an iTunes remote widget for release, but there was no time. An iTunes widget is a great example of where Konfabulator widgets may help themeing in the future.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by servo:
Ahhh remember the good old days when the only skins we had once in a while was a Safari icon set?

Jaey
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 05:36 PM

I'd like to see more adium webkit styles, personally. I know ProLCD has one (a nice one, too), but it doesn't go with any other themes...
I don't really mind having Konfab. widgets with themes, but a chrome clock and Paper & Plastic aren't very... related.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2004, 05:47 PM

damn, 10mb of download? wasnt one of the purported benefits off shapeshifter that the .guikits were smaller (thus less to download) than the older .dltas?

looking good though. now for someone to post a screenie.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
damn, 10mb of download? wasnt one of the purported benefits off shapeshifter that the .guikits were smaller (thus less to download) than the older .dltas?

looking good though. now for someone to post a screenie.
I slimmed it down to 3 megabytes... I am ul that version now. The previous package came with 7 megabytes of air, for padding. Oops

fireside
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
I slimmed it down to 3 megabytes... I am ul that version now. The previous package came with 7 megabytes of air, for padding. Oops
maybe you can get rid of all the access glue you have on your sig now.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2004, 07:35 PM

Haha. Just so you know, mine arrived intact.

Your air isn't as fun as the stuff that comes with Amazon.com shipments, though. Those packets are so fun to pop...

Holigen
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 07:49 PM

Very nice indeed. One of the few that Ill use other than my modded Milk. Good job.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
Your air isn't as fun as the stuff that comes with Amazon.com shipments, though. Those packets are so fun to pop...
Last year a friend and I wrapped ourselves in the bubble wrap I'd been hoarding for over a year's worth of shipments and had a good old fashioned "hit the other guy until you hear a pop" fight. Just so long as you avoid the face (covering it with plastic, while protective, kind of defeats the purpose), it's a damn good time.
DigitalRamen sucks.

Sage
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 12:59 AM

Wow, I'm surprised by how much I like this theme – This is the very first theme that has semi-permanently pulled me away from Aluminum Alloy ever since AA came out. There are a few inconsistencies...

1) I can't figure out why some elements get darker and others get inverted instead,
2) the drop-down menus need to have a more visible clicked state,
3) the Finder's clicked View 2 (List view) button is 1 pixel off,
4) and the Help button needs to be themed.

Otherwise, this theme is just about perfect for me, and the recycle desktop is the nicest desktop I've ever seen.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2004, 11:35 AM

I read down the thread and one comment appears over and over... "didn't like it at first but it is growing on me."

I am no exception.

nicely done all of you involved. HUGE
this works so completely - I am flattened.

Unobtrusive and clean. nice.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
May 25, 2004, 11:52 AM

A release without a screen shot.... here or at macthemes.net?

Get it together peeps.

T

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2004, 12:47 PM

I think there should be an update variant with the aqua appearance mimicking its metal look - with the creamy plastic. The stark white with blue pieces in the aqua appearance looks so ... basic?

Oh well. The extras are very nice though, it is a great theme package!

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2004, 12:52 PM

It would be cool too see a different color variant than blue. I wonder how difficult it would be to change all the paper widgets to say green for example?

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2004, 03:01 PM

I think the theme overall is great, there are however two things that I have come across that I do not like.

1) the change in the message notification for the mail icon in the dock. It is almost impossible to see. Which makes this theme non functional for me.

2) I dont like the buttons when they are highlighted, they look like a big blue blob.

other than those the theme is very nice

digitaljames
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 10:49 PM

Imma make an Olive mod....

dcc777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2004, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
Imma make an Olive mod....
yay for dj mods!

haley
Forum Regular
May 28, 2004, 09:01 AM

I've been using this theme ever since the beta release. I didn't think I'd like it, but it is one of the nicest themes I've ever used. The paper elements really help in taking your eyes away from the one uniform look all the time. I was just trying out SIRO 1.0 and couldn't stand the fact that everything was exactly the same in style... if you can understand what I'm saying. After using P&P I just now have the need to divert my eyes from the same style all of the time.

I actually have been using this desktop by silveryn on deviantart.com (same guy who did the infamous Change of Seasons). It works incredibly well with Paper and Plastic.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by haley:
I've been using this theme ever since the beta release. I didn't think I'd like it, but it is one of the nicest themes I've ever used. The paper elements really help in taking your eyes away from the one uniform look all the time. I was just trying out SIRO 1.0 and couldn't stand the fact that everything was exactly the same in style... if you can understand what I'm saying. After using P&P I just now have the need to divert my eyes from the same style all of the time.

I actually have been using this desktop by silveryn on deviantart.com (same guy who did the infamous Change of Seasons). It works incredibly well with Paper and Plastic.
That's the favorite comment I'm hearing time and time again. "I thought it sucked, but then I tried it, and I like it now!"

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2004, 10:31 AM

i'll second.. er.. umpteen the 'bah! *install* hmmmmmmmmm... yummy' sentiment.

what's a good icon set to go with it? I've been running it with snowE2 graphite, but I'm not 100% happy.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by unlinear:
i'll second.. er.. umpteen the 'bah! *install* hmmmmmmmmm... yummy' sentiment.

what's a good icon set to go with it? I've been running it with snowE2 graphite, but I'm not 100% happy.
I'm using World of Aqua: Rev 2 folder icons, which match pretty nicely.

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2004, 01:01 PM

I'm using World of Aqua: Rev 2 folder icons, which match pretty nicely.
I am also. The WoA Rev 2 folders and drives and filling in the rest with the original WoA. It works nicely.

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 02:59 PM

im using them too it has much the same make up as siro... so i use the dock icons from snow e2 and the rev 2 folders and g5 toolbar

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 05:56 PM

Like it a lot better than I thought I would, I've been using it since 1.0 and just now switched to Siro 1.0
click one

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2004, 06:12 AM

i think the finder bar and the finder look alot better then Siro, i wish someone could make a all "plastic" version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules