Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replacing Powerbook Ti 15" Rev. 1 with Rev. 2?

Replacing Powerbook Ti 15" Rev. 1 with Rev. 2?
jchen
Apr 19, 2006, 09:35 PM

I was looking on eBay to purchase some hinges to fix my dad's old Powerbook G4/550 and then possibly resell it on eBay but I noticed that numerous people also sell their detached Powerbook Ti 15" LCDs themselves. I was wondering if it was possible to use a Rev. 2 display (1280x854) on the origina G4/550 which originally ships with a 1152x768 screen. Thanks.

ChrisF
Senior User
Apr 19, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by jchen
I was looking on eBay to purchase some hinges to fix my dad's old Powerbook G4/550 and then possibly resell it on eBay but I noticed that numerous people also sell their detached Powerbook Ti 15" LCDs themselves. I was wondering if it was possible to use a Rev. 2 display (1280x854) on the origina G4/550 which originally ships with a 1152x768 screen. Thanks.
It will not work properly, if it fits at all.

jchen  (op)
Apr 19, 2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF
It will not work properly, if it fits at all.
Well I think it will fit but as for it working, that's my question. Both screens are Ti LCDs and the design itself didn't change between the screen upgrade until the Al models came out.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 06:28 AM

won't work.

RiDDLeRIZE
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2006, 11:55 AM

It does too work. Lots of the LCD's that I've put into older Powerbooks had the black/grey inverter wire which were the DVI models. The LCD's with the pink/white inverter wire were from the Mercury/Gigabit Ethernet models. I've done lots of swaps and I've put a working DVI LCD into a 400mhz tibook since the DVI mobo was dead and I had a cracked screen on the original tibook. It worked properly with no problems. The only thing that it didn't let me do was raise the maximum resolution to 1280X854... it only went up to 1152X768 since the graphic chip didn't go that high.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 09:59 PM

i'm not saying it won't fit. i'm saying it won't work 100%. if you can't get the native resolution on an LCD, it's junk. You'd be stuck with a permanently blurry screen. And that's not clever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules