Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Converting MP3 Collection to iPod MP4

Converting MP3 Collection to iPod MP4
jchen
Dec 17, 2004, 04:52 PM

I just bought an used iPod from a friend (2G, 10GB) and I was wondering how I would go about converting my entire previous MP3 collection to the newer format? Thanks.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2004, 05:55 PM

Why? The iPod can play mp3s just fine, and converting mp3s to AAC (m4a) will only degrade the sound quality of the files (converting one lossy format to another lossy format always degrades sound quality). The best way to convert your mp3 library is to re-rip all of the tracks to AAC from the original CDs.

iMacfan
Senior User
Dec 17, 2004, 06:13 PM

I'd recommend you stick with the current files unless you have the original CDs to hand, a great deal of time, and really good earphones. Even if you do want to reencode, you might prefer just a slightly higher bitrate of mp3 to maintain compatability if you get another player or a flash one in the future.

David

jchen  (op)
Dec 17, 2004, 08:34 PM

I can't store all of my files at the current bitrate (192kbps). On the other hand, 128Kbps AAC would work wonderfully (a little under 10GB).

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2004, 11:12 PM

You will lose quality. I don't recommend it, but if that's ok with you then go ahead.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2004, 04:57 PM

Try it out with a couple of tracks - preferably something pretty full and busy-sounding - to see if you can live with the sound deterioration.

Here's how:

iTunes menu--> Preferences --> Importing --> set to your desired import format.

Then, in your library, select all songs (Apple-A) and go to "Special" (or "Advanced", don't know what it is in English) menu and select "convert selection to mp3...".

Create a smart playlist for everything with a data rate of whatever-you-set-it-to-be-in-import-preferences or less and have that auto-sync with the iPod.

Done.

new newton
Banned
Dec 18, 2004, 05:43 PM

I love to see people talking about sound quality. It's as though they think they can actually hear it. Maybe a handful of them can.

I ran out of space on my old 20gb. I took all of my 192kbps MP3s and converted them to 128kbps AAC files. I can't tell a lick of difference in the sound. It saved me a lot of space. Just duplicate your library, and if you're one of the 2% of people with dog ears you'll be able to switch back.

Depending on your processor this can take a long, long time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules