Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Disgusting foods that 1st world countries love

Disgusting foods that 1st world countries love (Page 2)
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2011, 12:38 PM

Why don't I go all east-coast on ye bunch and say "fried cod tongues"?

1. Take codfishes.
2. Cut out tongues.
3. Bit of oil, dip in flour.
4. Fry.

Fryin up a scoff o tongues by!
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

andi*pandi
Dec 13, 2011, 01:17 PM

Seems no worse than other parts of the fish.

I don't do bugs. Shrimp/Lobster is the closest thing, but that's because you don't eat the shell.

Oddest thing I've eaten: conch. Which just means you take anything (sans shell) and put it in delicious breading and fry it, and it will be edible, and dare I say, tasty.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2011, 01:49 PM

It's threads like this one that make me appreciate keeping kosher. Is lobster really that good?

For the record, there are plenty of gross kosher foods (hot dogs, etc.), but at least insects and such are off the table. (Deep down I know it is just my sheltered first world upbringing and that we should take advantage of every protein source out there.)
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
It's threads like this one that make me appreciate keeping kosher. Is lobster really that good?

For the record, there are plenty of gross kosher foods (hot dogs, etc.), but at least insects and such are off the table. (Deep down I know it is just my sheltered first world upbringing and that we should take advantage of every protein source out there.)
Locusts are kosher.

(And yes, lobster's pretty good. Though I don't, personally, think it's as great as many people seem to. Also, it way more trouble to eat than it's worth if it's served in the shell. Also, it's way overpriced if you don't live in New England.)

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2011, 02:42 PM

Elzar: Here you are, big spender. Foie gras and caviar.
Dr. Zoidberg: [sniffs it] Goose liver? Fish eggs? Feh! Where's the goose? Where's the fish?
Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat, the garbage parts of the food.
Dr. Zoidberg: I ate garbage yesterday, and it didn't cost me 300 dollars. I'm not paying! I bid you good day, sir!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
A lot of "ethnic" foods get called weird and potentially disgusting by Europeans and North Americans and other members of 1st world countries, but there are a lot of foods that we eat that really are quite disgusting when you think about it. Here are a few:

1) Milk: Excretions from modified sweat glands of various animals.
2) Cheese: Milk (see above) that is partially digested with animal stomach juices (or synthetic equivalents) and then eaten immediately or else sometimes left to sit for months before consumption. Some are further laced with fungi or bacteria for additional flavour.
3) Yoghurt: Milk (also see above) that is infested with live bacteria and left to get digested.
4) Beer: Grains left to ferment using fungi, until they die from intoxication from their own waste.
Your list stops at the things I have eaten right here, and I honestly don't think those four things are disgusting. Milk - if other animals could easily obtain and drink it after maturity they would. Cheese tastes great. Yogurt is beneficial for the body. Beer I'm not that huge a fan of, but it's not gross (and it was an important ingredient to human survival in the West back when nutrition was poorer).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2011, 03:41 PM

Yeah milk's primary purpose is for eating and to be nutritious. It would be different if it was a waste product from the animal. Same for honey.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Your list stops at the things I have eaten right here, and I honestly don't think those four things are disgusting. Milk - if other animals could easily obtain and drink it after maturity they would. Cheese tastes great. Yogurt is beneficial for the body. Beer I'm not that huge a fan of, but it's not gross (and it was an important ingredient to human survival in the West back when nutrition was poorer).
Lions (and other predators, I assume) will actually eat the udders of nursing female animals first. But I guess we already knew that cats like milk.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Beer I'm not that huge a fan of, but it's not gross (and it was an important ingredient to human survival in the West back when nutrition was poorer).
Not just in the West: many cultures had beer (or an equivalent). It was a large part of the Egyptian diet during Pharaonic times, as well. Basically, it was a way of liquifying the nutritional content of bread (grain) and preserving it through the addition of alcohol by fermentation. Of course, that old beer was a very different animal from modern beer.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2011, 05:10 PM

I always thought eggs were disgusting. Your eating a little birdie!

But their good with bacon or sausages.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I always thought eggs were disgusting. Your eating a little birdie chicken period!
Fixinatedness.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Fixinatedness.
Not if they're fertilized.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Yes.

Same with bacon.

Tiresias
Dec 13, 2011, 11:39 PM

So, is it good?
It's not good or bad. It has a slightly nutty, slightly dusty taste.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2011, 10:17 AM

Yes.

Same with bacon.

You didn't make much of a case for lobster, but I'm beginning to see the appeal of bacon.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Tiresias
Dec 14, 2011, 11:12 AM

Geroge Costanza, is that you?

Forum Links
Forum Rules