Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iTunes graphics

iTunes graphics
Kev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2001, 02:10 AM

How come G4 macs can display nice quick graphics in iTunes, but on Windows machines, the graphics in media player or Musicmatch are really crappy !! Is it the pentium chip , or the OS that keeps Windows fron having nice graphics on their music players ?

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2001, 02:30 AM

True, although at least, if you use winamp, you can replace the visual plug ins you don't like with ones you do. Not sure if this can be easily done with iTunes (good thing Apple made a good plug-in in the first place...)

maximage
Oct 22, 2001, 06:09 AM

NOt trying to brag at all, but on a related topic, is there anyway to slow down the speed of the graphis in iTunes, apart from the limit to 30 fps feature? on my old B&W G4 400 (overcloked to 450), it ran at the perfect rate, but on my new Dual 800, the sound waves are waaay too fast. Frame rate doesnt seem to be the issue, but more the speed the waves move around the screen.

<kel>
Oct 22, 2001, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Kev:
<STRONG>How come G4 macs can display nice quick graphics in iTunes, but on Windows machines, the graphics in media player or Musicmatch are really crappy !! Is it the pentium chip , or the OS that keeps Windows fron having nice graphics on their music players ? </STRONG>
It's definately your pentium chip Kev. Try a processor that isn't such an antique like a pentium 3/athlon or better. Then use winamp/sonique/kjofol and download one of the hundreds of plugins. I'd recommend geiss, milkdrop 3d, or the 3d christmas/valantines day dancer (there's probably many better ones, I haven't gone through them in about a year). Then run them at 1024x768x32 60fps fullscreen and be amazed -- then do the same on itunes and be... :o

<kel>
Oct 22, 2001, 11:37 AM

Oh, and on a related note... the plugin that Apple uses in iTunes is called G-Force. It was first on the the PC and still runs much-much better on that platform. You can find it here: G-Force

Mac Boy
Oct 23, 2001, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by &lt;kel&gt;:
<STRONG>Oh, and on a related note... the plugin that Apple uses in iTunes is called G-Force. It was first on the the PC and still runs much-much better on that platform. You can find it here: G-Force</STRONG>
Wait wait wait... you have been misinformed. Andy O'Meara (sp?), inventor of G-Force writes it on a Mac using CodeWarrior, which compiles for both Mac and Windows from the same project. I know because he use to distribute the code as open-source but now doesn't becuase somebody tried to take it and sell it as their own product.

Notice that GForce 2.1.2 came out week earlier for Mac OS X than Windows? Thats no coincidence. Andy is a really cool person for making G-Force freely available to anyone and on both major platforms, but the first versions of G-Force and Whitecap were for the Mac.

Can somebody back me up, or am I totally off here?

- Ross

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2001, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Mac Boy:
<STRONG>Wait wait wait... you have been misinformed. Andy O'Meara (sp?), inventor of G-Force writes it on a Mac using CodeWarrior, which compiles for both Mac and Windows from the same project. I know because he use to distribute the code as open-source but now doesn't becuase somebody tried to take it and sell it as their own product.

Notice that GForce 2.1.2 came out week earlier for Mac OS X than Windows? Thats no coincidence. Andy is a really cool person for making G-Force freely available to anyone and on both major platforms, but the first versions of G-Force and Whitecap were for the Mac.

Can somebody back me up, or am I totally off here?</STRONG>
Yes, this is true. His website is http://www.55ware.com/

and G-force was FIRST on a mac, and new versions continue to be mac first.

G-force is now also availible as an iTunes plugin, replacing the older Apple-modified version.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules