Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > reverse software basestation...possible?

reverse software basestation...possible?
bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2002, 11:21 AM

ok...here is what i want to do and i believe its possible with NAT but i just dont know how to set it up.

the setup:

i have a home network with a cable modem, router, hub, and WAP.

on a normal software basestation, your "external" network comes from the ethernet and your "internal" network goes out through airport....

what i want is a way to have my "external" network to come from airport via the WAP, and my "internal" network to go out through the ethernet. this is effect would make my ibook a bridge. i could just plug a crossover cable into another machine and that maching would be on the network....

any ideas as to how to accomplish this? this would eliminate the need for wires laying all around the house...

thanks
bg

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2002, 11:36 AM

Jaguar will do exactly what you want. In the Network preference pane, I think you need to make sure that Airport is above Built-in Ethernet in the list of port configurations. Then just go to the Sharing pane and turn on internet sharing. The text in the sharing pane says "You are connected to the Internet over AirPort. This connection will be shared with computers connected to Built-in Ethernet."

The only thing about which I am not certain is whether you need to manually assign IP addresses on the wired portion of the network, or whether turning sharing on makes the router Mac a DHCP server. Someone else might know.

Overall, though, setting up what you want is supposed to be simple.

Chris

bgmccollum  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2002, 11:53 AM

yes, and ive done this and it all works. the ibook and the g3 are able to see each other, and the ibook is able to see the rest of the network and gets on the internet. the g3 doesnt though...something is wrong with dns forwarding on the ibook and internet sharing...not sure whats going on...

bg

Forum Links
Forum Rules