Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MS New Browser?

MS New Browser?
sumsugar
Mar 5, 2003, 09:36 PM

Got this Mactopia email. MSN for OS X is that a new Browser on the screen of that iMac or just a hopped up version of IE 5?

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/msn/default.asp
MD Dual 1 Gigger with iBook 600 at the ready...

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2003, 09:39 PM

Who knows might even use webcore... oh wait that would mean M$ weren't putting in their own propritary standards duh...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by sumsugar:
Got this Mactopia email. MSN for OS X is that a new Browser on the screen of that iMac or just a hopped up version of IE 5?

It's a new browser implementing the latest and greatest from M$....probably based off of IE 5.2...it'll blow for sure.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2003, 09:43 PM

It's the MSN Explorer. Also, it can't use WebCore since WebCore isn't enough to build a browser on. The Safari SDK is what is necessary to build a browser, however it isn't available yet.
Vandelay Industries

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2003, 10:41 PM

no it's based off the new IE 6 which will be out in standalone browser form shortly. It's supposed to be hot stuff too. It's a total rewrite and ported properly. The main goal was to make it the same speed/feature set as IE on windows.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2003, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
no it's based off the new IE 6 which will be out in standalone browser form shortly. It's supposed to be hot stuff too. It's a total rewrite and ported properly. The main goal was to make it the same speed/feature set as IE on windows.
Link? Where do you find this info?

Coxy
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2003, 12:12 AM

Same featureset as the Windows version?
So, they actually *removed* features? I may stick with Safari, then.
Commander ~Coxy of the 68kMLA

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2003, 04:00 AM

Very off-topic I know, but that picture was used in Gateway's advertisements and had created quite a stir considering the machine he was using was a TiBook.

Oh well, maybe I should get some sleep now...

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2003, 06:10 AM

So, has anyone tried it yet? When I go to download section I only get the option to download some desktop picture application.. I am not on a mac right, so I can't check it out..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Fobie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2003, 06:36 AM

Now when we have Safari, why even care?

I read somewhere that the new IE for Mac (v.6) is faster and better than 5.2, but still it's nowhere close to Chimera/Camino or Safari.

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 06:42 AM

sniffer,

It's not out yet. IE6.0 has been in development for almost 18 months, if this is based on it. There were some rumors a few months ago that MS discontinued development of the IE6.0 for MacOSX, but that was never confirmed. It's possible they continued work all this time, but decided to roll it into a new MSN client first...

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2003, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by Ken_F2:
sniffer,

It's not out yet. IE6.0 has been in development for almost 18 months, if this is based on it. There were some rumors a few months ago that MS discontinued development of the IE6.0 for MacOSX, but that was never confirmed. It's possible they continued work all this time, but decided to roll it into a new MSN client first...
I'see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. It looks pretty in the tour demo btw.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 09:35 AM

Hmm, it seems strange that finally Apple has offered a full set of personal information/internet apps (email, calendar, address book, web browser, chat program), and no wMS finally decides to release a Mac program (MSN explorer) to do very similar functions.

It seems that has they released this a year ago, they probably would've had my usage. However, as it stands right now, I only recently completed my transition to Safari, Mail, Address Book, iCal, iSync etc.

Would any users here consider changing back to a similar set of tools by MS? I actually believe the address book will be far superior to what we have now, but for the hassle, I'm not going to bother.

sbjordal
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Hmm, it seems strange that finally Apple has offered a full set of personal information/internet apps (email, calendar, address book, web browser, chat program), and no wMS finally decides to release a Mac program (MSN explorer) to do very similar functions.

It seems that has they released this a year ago, they probably would've had my usage. However, as it stands right now, I only recently completed my transition to Safari, Mail, Address Book, iCal, iSync etc.

Would any users here consider changing back to a similar set of tools by MS? I actually believe the address book will be far superior to what we have now, but for the hassle, I'm not going to bother.
I'm an avid user of MSN's billpay and portfolio, and I'll for one will be happy when MSN for OSX comes out. I'm pretty sure that I could switch to other services, but once you've started using something, it's hard to let go...Also, the new MSN Messenger looks very nifty...

(and yes, I too, am an avid user of iSync, iCal, t68i, Addressbook, bluetooth etc)
---
One XP Box, One Suse Box, One Blue & White,
One ibook, One iMac 17 FP, one 30 gig iPod and a mini
happy .mac customer, os9 free since 3/24/01

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2003, 11:17 AM

it didnt look like a new msn messenger to me, its probably the same old one but has that list on the dashboard. If anyones seen msn explorer for windows which was just ie/msn messenger wrapped in a skin really. It'll probably be like that

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2003, 11:18 AM

Has anybody seen a release date? Free download?

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2003, 11:39 AM

Would any users here consider changing back to a similar set of tools by MS?
This is MSN, Microsoft's own Internet service.. their answer to AOL. The calendaring, addressbook, and other tools pictured here are all part of the MSN Explorer which is the frontend to their Internet service. Think of them as just hooks to make using MSN more useful. These are not just a collection of PDA apps.

Judging by the screenshots, I think they've done a nice job with the interface.

Finally, if Microsoft is indeed working on an IE6 for Mac, then that's only good news. Personally, I'd like to see IE6 on Mac go head to head with Safari feature wise.. the results would only mean better software in the end for us.

ambush
Banned
Mar 6, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
It's the MSN Explorer. Also, it can't use WebCore since WebCore isn't enough to build a browser on. The Safari SDK is what is necessary to build a browser, however it isn't available yet.
Hmmm? I'm pretty sure you can use the WebCore framework's objects *right now* and make your own browser.

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by ckohler:
This is MSN, Microsoft's own Internet service.. their answer to AOL. The calendaring, addressbook, and other tools pictured here are all part of the MSN Explorer which is the frontend to their Internet service. Think of them as just hooks to make using MSN more useful. These are not just a collection of PDA apps.

Judging by the screenshots, I think they've done a nice job with the interface.

Finally, if Microsoft is indeed working on an IE6 for Mac, then that's only good news. Personally, I'd like to see IE6 on Mac go head to head with Safari feature wise.. the results would only mean better software in the end for us.

The interface is just "pasted" out of the windows version.
Judging by MSN Messenger 3.0 and IE 5, this new MSN browser will be slow and sluggish as hell.

bseely
Mar 6, 2003, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Hmmm? I'm pretty sure you can use the WebCore framework's objects *right now* and make your own browser.
You definitely *can't* do this right now. WebCore is still built into Safari and the API to access it hasn't been released yet to developers.

pumpkinapo
Mar 6, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by bseely:
You definitely *can't* do this right now. WebCore is still built into Safari and the API to access it hasn't been released yet to developers.
Then why do they allow you to download the source to WebCore?

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/pr...ore/index.html
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2003, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by daydreamer:
Judging by MSN Messenger 3.0 and IE 5, this new MSN browser will be slow and sluggish as hell.
Would I be correct in guessing that you dislike ALL microsoft products? 'Wolf!' 'Wolf!' ?

IE 5 is excellent on OS 9. It was never 'properly' ported to OS X. IE 6 is allegedly a complete rewrite. By this reasoning, it should be quick, not sluggish.

When IE 5 was released for OS9, it was close to the best browser available for any platform.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2003, 02:10 PM

Microsoft is desperate for a slice of AOL's pie, which is why they're shoveling so much money into MSN. I wouldn't be surprised if this effort is being heavily underwritten by the MSN division of Microsoft, as it seems not to fit the MacBU's usual approach of "we'll build the products that Mac users want to buy." The MacBU tends to satisfy demand rather than try to create it, and I can't imagine there's been that much demand for an OS X port of MSN.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by pumpkinapo:
Then why do they allow you to download the source to WebCore?

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/pr...ore/index.html
They are legally required to since they are shipping a product based on LGPL sources. They have to post the source and their changes.

Hyatt has stated that the current WebCore code isn't enough to build a browser on, since several Apple proprietary parts haven't been published.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2003, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by dfiler:
Would I be correct in guessing that you dislike ALL microsoft products? 'Wolf!' 'Wolf!' ?

IE 5 is excellent on OS 9. It was never 'properly' ported to OS X. IE 6 is allegedly a complete rewrite. By this reasoning, it should be quick, not sluggish.

When IE 5 was released for OS9, it was close to the best browser available for any platform.
Really?

IE 5 on OS 9 have crashed my computer more often than I can count. Proberly ported or not, the complete rewrite statement of yours is questionable in my opinion.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2003, 01:13 PM

It's IE 6
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
Really?

IE 5 on OS 9 have crashed my computer more often than I can count. Proberly ported or not, the complete rewrite statement of yours is questionable in my opinion.
OS 9 stability was bad enough that Apple spent hundreds of millions (if not billions) of dollars rewriting the OS. While IE5 did crash, the question is: did it crash more frequently than its competitors?

Questionable? How could I have phrased it less questionably?
IE 6 is allegedly a complete rewrite
I�ll agree that the statement following this is questionable though. Complete rewrites aren�t always faster or more robust.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by daydreamer:
No its not, that is what the software looks like running under Mac OS X. Try and get your facts straight...

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
No its not, that is what the software looks like running under Mac OS X. Try and get your facts straight...
No he is right, he is saying they just ported the windows look over to the OSX version.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2003, 05:16 PM

This browser will be so damn ugly and slow...I can't wait to throw it away immediately.

mikemako
Senior User
Mar 7, 2003, 05:22 PM

I have used MSN Explorer on Windows and it looks exactly like this, why do many here think it is other than? Is there some wording on Microsoft's website that says this?
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2003, 10:40 PM

I'll give IE 6 a try, but unless they've implemented features that are pretty much standard now such as popup blocking and tabbed browsing, I'll delete it with a quickness. The only reason I have IE 5 is because some websites don't work properly with Safari.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2003, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by Fallout:
I'll give IE 6 a try, but unless they've implemented features that are pretty much standard now such as popup blocking and tabbed browsing, I'll delete it with a quickness. The only reason I have IE 5 is because some websites don't work properly with Safari.
And because it has "Scrapbook"...damn I miss that in Safari/Camino. Oh well.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2003, 12:33 PM

I can't do my online banking with any browser on the Mac ... VPC -XP has saved my arse twice now.
If IE 6 can change that, welcome.

Sarc
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

hew
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2003, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by Sarc:
I can't do my online banking with any browser on the Mac ... VPC -XP has saved my arse twice now.
If IE 6 can change that, welcome.

Sarc
Safari can do it, but you have to enable the debug menu. Under the debug menu you can set which browser you want Safari to appear as. It's defaulted to Automatic, but you should turn on either IE 5.2.2 or IE PC 6.0. This will allow you to do your banking.

Here's a link to the software you need to turn on the debug menu without messing around with the terminal. Link:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10482

After you run the app from the disk image just click on the Debug Menu checkbox and relaunch Safari.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 03:11 AM

Coming soon to a desktop near you
Oh great now MS is threatening us! I run a completely MS free system, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Its like not buying a fur coat, because what they do to animals, even if the coat is really warm and comfortable. I don't trust MS and I don't trust thier software, and most of thier software just isn't Mac-Enough for me.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 04:44 AM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
Well, WebCore is enough to build a browser on, it'd just be a lot of work. Also, just because the Safari SDK isn't available yet doesn't mean MS can't use it -- if Apple values you, they slip you a few things in advance... (of course it's debatable how much apple values MS these days)

Forum Links
Forum Rules