Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook Ship Dates

PowerBook Ship Dates (Page 5)
zubo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 11:55 PM

My 15" just shipped 15 days before the estimated ship date!

jamiep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 12:31 AM

mine shipped on saturday and fedex says that it's already in toronto. It sent anchorage, memphis, toronto in one day! looks like delivery monday am! wow!

faithfulanchor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 01:22 AM

This could either really rule or really suck.
I really have my hopes up now that mine will ship in the next few days, right after I accepted that I wouldn't have it until march.

Now, I won't be able to stop thinking about it.
I really really hope mine ships early to.

syanover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 03:10 AM

I'm sitting here working away when I get notification of an e-mail from Apple. It says that my new PB shipped on the 14th. This after the original ship by date was the 18th, then delayed to the 28th. Well I hope that I get it as fast as everyone else seems to be getting them. Would love to have it before the weekend. I'll check Fedex later today to see if the shipping number is active.

Now I've really got reading on my Mac switchers guide. Good-bye to Windows.

ncsurfer
Feb 14, 2005, 03:31 AM

Ordered my new 15" 1.5G4 on Saturday. Scheduled to ship on or before 02/14. I am so excited, I hope it comes before the weekend.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Feb 14, 2005, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
Ok mine is now in MEMPHIS TN - the estimated delivery as mentioned above is on 2/17.

My question for you guys: is Fedex always accurate in their "estimate"? Will they be earlier than what they estimated?
Good - just received it. It's 3 days earlier.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 11:12 AM

Mine shipped on the 12th but just left Shanghai this morning. Est. 2/17. It's overnight shipping, why so slow?

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 12:00 PM

I'm still waiting for Fedex to update the tracking page so I can see where mine is! C'mon Fedex!

faithfulanchor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 01:15 PM

I'm so sad...
It seems like everyone elses is shipping, and mine is stilling chilling in shanghai with an estimated date of 2/28.

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 01:27 PM

And more weirdness. My order status page shows that it shipped, and shows a Fedex tracking number (which Fedex says they don't have any info on). I just received an email from Apple, saying my credit card was charged, and it shows Fedex shipping info, but with a different tracking number! (which also shows no info on Fedex).

I'll just have to keep checking both!

ncsurfer
Feb 14, 2005, 03:06 PM

my powerbook is scheduled to ship today 2/14 and I was just wondering what time of the day they usually ship? This is my first mac and I am so excited it hurts.....
15" 1.5Ghz Aluminum Powerbook
30gb iPod Photo

reybart
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 04:51 PM

I ordered mine Feb. 13, 6am PST, and the estimated shipping is on or before Feb 22nd. I just checked and it is still open though!!1 I can't wait! This wil be my 3rd PB in less tha 3 years.
BTW It is the 17.

Finally, It has been shipped. Expecting to be here on Friday!
( Last edited by reybart; Feb 16, 2005 at 06:16 AM. )

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 11:11 PM

Well I called Apple about the multiple tracking numbers. He said the one on my Order Status page is the correct one.

But... That's still not showing up in Fedex's tracking system.

How long does it usually take? It's been over 24 hours!

syanover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by johnt519:
Well I called Apple about the multiple tracking numbers. He said the one on my Order Status page is the correct one.

But... That's still not showing up in Fedex's tracking system.

How long does it usually take? It's been over 24 hours!
I'm in the exact same situation. Multiple Tracking numbers, showing different destinations, one shows up in Fedex listing Mississauga as the destination, the other one from the Order Status page shows nothing when I click on it directly, but when I cut and paste it into Fed Ex's tracking number box it shows the correct shipping location of Calgary, but nothing other than: Feb 14, 2005 4:30 PM

Package data transmitted to FedEx

Oh well, hopefully something different tomorrow. Meantime I'll check back here as our orders seem to be similar.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 02:35 AM

My AppleCare application shipped from Apple on the 10th.

The tracking information shows that it was "Out for Delivery" on the 11th. It was never delivered.

That night it was rescheduled to arrive on the 14th.... but the 14th came and went and no package.

Just now it's been rescheduled to arrive on the 15th. But the package hasn't been scanned since the 11th.

I called to ask UPS what happened and the guy on the phone told me that maybe my package never shipped. This is obviously ludicrous, since *something* was on the truck for delivery. (An imaginary package??)

What the hell is going on?? Why are they such incompetents?

What do I do if I never get it? Call Apple? Thankfully my PowerBook is coming FedEx...

Feb 11, 2005
6:30 A.M.

BRONX, NY, US

OUT FOR DELIVERY
6:00 A.M.

BRONX, NY, US

ARRIVAL SCAN
5:09 A.M.

MASPETH, NY, US

DEPARTURE SCAN
2:30 A.M.

MASPETH, NY, US

ORIGIN SCAN
Feb 10, 2005
6:28 A.M.

US

BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

faithfulanchor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 02:37 AM

UGUGHGHGHGH
I'm dying here.
Why is everyone else's powerbooks shipping,
and mine is still chilling in shanghai.

hawiken
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2005, 02:51 AM

Ordered mine on 2/1...and received it on 2/10. The only problem is that it was DOA- I think that it's a bad logic board.
The screen kept fading until it looked like a lavender photo negative. Numerous screen or cursor freezes. The bottom of the case was warped, so that it rocked (like a table with one short leg). The number 9 key didn't work; neither did the beginning parentheses.
So, it went back today, and the replacement is supposed to arrive around the 22nd.
Nicest keyboard that I've ever used, though. I have a 1Gig RAM chip from OWC that's just begging for a home...
15" 1.5 GHz with Superdrive BTO. I'm seriously bummed. So is my wife- I gave her my old iBook G4, and then had to take it back- I need it at work. She'll still get it- eventually....

faithfulanchor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 03:26 AM

This goes out to anyone who had any random ship date and then it got pushed back to the 28th.

Have yall's gone back to the original or are they still estimated to ship on the 28th.

Secondly, how much does having built to order options have to do witht his.

frankd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 04:41 AM

I am a new switcher.... to DELL

I guess that's what I am going to do today. I am pissed off with Apple service.
I ordered the new powerbook on the 31st. Shipping date the 7th.
On the 7th I receive a letter saying the shipping has been delayed to the 14th.
The order status keep saying shipping on or before the 7th, so I called the Applestore and they told me not to worry, everything is OK with the order and it may actually ship before the 14th. then the 14th comes and no signs of shipping. Then I call again and they tell me I should receive some news before the end of the day. I ask whether it is going to ship or not and the reply is that they don't know (Who else should know it??? me???), but I will definitly receive a mail telling me if it is going to ship or not.
Now it's the 15th, the order status still says shipping on or before the 7th, no mails from apple... I need it within ten days (then I am going to leave for a month or so) and the standard time it takes from China to Switzerland is 7-9 days, so I call now Apple, cancel the order and I am going to switch to a brand new DELL, which is going to be here in 3 days!!

I will never, never, never ever more suggest to anybody to buy from the Applestore!!!
( Last edited by frankd; Feb 15, 2005 at 04:49 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2005, 04:52 AM

frankd, have you considered going downtown and buying the PowerBook at an Apple dealer? There's ART Computer (3, Rue de Coutance) and they might have some in stock.
•

frankd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 06:52 AM

Well, Simon, actually yes.
The point is that I had asked for a BTO 15inch (100Gb, 128VRAM, 1Gb RAM) and I had some institutional discount. Also, when I ordered it the stores of course didn't have it yet.
But the point is that I complain about the treatment.
If they told me from the beginning we will ship the computer in March, I would have just chosen some other options (maybe DELL included). I cannot stand the fact that they are not able to keep track of what is happening to my order! This is not serious...

frankd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 06:55 AM

Somebody must be reading my complaints... the status has just changed to shipped, though the tracking number is not yet active.
Sorry for my rants, but again, why not being more honest with shipping dates?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2005, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by frankd:
But the point is that I complain about the treatment. If they told me from the beginning we will ship the computer in March, I would have just chosen some other options (maybe DELL included). I cannot stand the fact that they are not able to keep track of what is happening to my order! This is not serious...
I agree absolutely. It's rather unprofessional, especially for a computer company. In my case however, they'd have to delay the shipment for about a year before I'd start to consider switching to Dell.

I ordered today and got the suspicious looking date of 2/24, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Been there before.
•

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2005, 08:34 AM

Finally some status -

Feb 15, 2005 2:19 pm Pickup status SHANGHAI CN_ Package received after FedEx cutoff time_

2:19 pm Left FedEx Origin Location SHANGHAI CN_

Now begins the Great Wait� in Shanghai....

Jens Peter
Senior User
Feb 15, 2005, 08:44 AM

I have also purchased my powerbook through the Applestore, but I have also regret that already.
Right now, the Apple status site tells me, my powerbook have departed from a terminal in Luxembourg, so I figured that TNT must have it. I called them, as my tracking number came up as unknown on their website. They told me, that they didn't have my machine. Then, I called Apple, and I was told they didn't know where it was either.
My original time for delivery was 3 to 5 days, then it got changed to 7 to 9 days, and now the Apple employee told me that I would have it perhaps next monday ( thats then 12 days).

The main reason for ordering by Applestore was, that I would have the machine faster!

But to be fair, I had exactly the same experience when I purchased my Dell. But they gave me a big discount and a new battery as a compensation.

Sorry for this rant, but I just needed it...

jamiep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by syanover:
I'm in the exact same situation. Multiple Tracking numbers, showing different destinations, one shows up in Fedex listing Mississauga as the destination, the other one from the Order Status page shows nothing when I click on it directly, but when I cut and paste it into Fed Ex's tracking number box it shows the correct shipping location of Calgary, but nothing other than: Feb 14, 2005 4:30 PM

Package data transmitted to FedEx
I only have one tracking number, but Fedex online says that it's been in Mississauga since sunday am. If you call fedex, though, they say that it hasn't left memphis. They just called me this morning asking for a description of the computer and the serial number... not a good sign...

I told them to ask the shipper in China � even if they find it in pieces, it's not like I want it...

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2005, 09:56 AM

When I called the Apple about the multiple tracking numbers, the sales rep said the one on my Order Status page was correct - but when I call up each number on the Fedex site, they both are active, if in slightly different statuses. One shows Arrived at Fedex Ramp in Shanghai, the other, the "real" one, shows "pickup status" and "Package received after FedEx cutoff time"

I think I know which one I want to be the real one...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2005, 11:48 AM

Is it normal for the order status page to say 'open' even after my order has been confirmed by e-mail and a shipping estimate has been given?

Or does this mean my order is on hold somewhere?
•

djpluv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 11:54 AM

I believe it remains as "Open" until the item ships.

For any you bummed out because of far-off ship dates... My order date was 2/5 and my ship date was 2/28, but I received an email last night stating it shipped :-) When I talked to Apple yesterday they stated the earliest it would likely ship would be the 23rd. Moral of the story... don't give up hope.

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2005, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Is it normal for the order status page to say 'open' even after my order has been confirmed by e-mail and a shipping estimate has been given?

Or does this mean my order is on hold somewhere?
Yeah, it will say Open even when it says Shipped. Give it time, it will eventually just say Shipped.

Then you can join us in Shanghai while we wait to be actually shipped...

ncsurfer
Feb 15, 2005, 12:21 PM

My powerbook shipped today......Should be here by Friday.
30gb iPod Photo

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by ncsurfer:
My powerbook shipped today......Should be here by Friday.
What does your shipping status look like? Is it still in China?

ncsurfer
Feb 15, 2005, 01:30 PM

What does your shipping status look like? Is it still in China?
No, it shipped from Sacramento. I just got a stock 15" 1.5Ghz, no BTO options. Fedex says it should arrive on 02/16.
30gb iPod Photo

faithfulanchor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 02:31 PM

Well.. whats up with this?

I ordered my powerbook on 2/9 and some other stuff.
The next day all of the other stuff was headed to my house.
I got an e-mail saying that my powerbook wouldn't be shipped until the 28th!
After that e-mail, I havn't heard another word.
It's still open and chilling.

Now, here is why this post is different from my other whining posts.

Why doesnt everyone (why didnt I?) order from resellers like macmall or something and get theirs within a week?

ghostgrrl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by faithfulanchor:
Well.. whats up with this?

I ordered my powerbook on 2/9 and some other stuff.
The next day all of the other stuff was headed to my house.
I got an e-mail saying that my powerbook wouldn't be shipped until the 28th!
After that e-mail, I havn't heard another word.
It's still open and chilling.

Now, here is why this post is different from my other whining posts.

Why doesnt everyone (why didnt I?) order from resellers like macmall or something and get theirs within a week?
That's actually what I ended up doing. Mid-January I ordered the rev C (of course at that time not knowing that the rev D was just right around the corner) from MacConnection. The time span they gave me because the PowerBook I ordered was BTO (12" SuperDrive w/ 80gb hd) was 2-3 weeks. I opted to order from them because they had a bunch of "free" (after rebates) stuff offered. As soon as the rev d's were announced I quickly (2 weeks into my order) called and asked whether I could change my order to the new rev d's. Customer service said that would be fine but the waiting period was going to start all over again. I told them that I was totally willing to wait (hey, I've waited 6 yrs and am upgrading from a fading Wallstreet 300! What's a few more weeks?) They reordered on 2/4 a rev D BTO 12" PowerBook (SuperDrive w/ 100gb hd) and I just got confirmation that it's shipped (from MacConnection, not from Shanghi) yesterday. Scheduled delivery: Friday.

travism
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 06:49 PM

Ordered mine Feb 14, will ship before Feb 22.

17 inch Powerbook with ram upgrade. It's good to be an ADC member.
UNIX guru

"I'd not even run X11 if not for the fact I like to browse webpages with color and images"

faithfulanchor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 07:02 PM

ADC = Developer?

and did you buy directly from apple or a reseller?

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2005, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by travism:
Ordered mine Feb 14, will ship before Feb 22.
17 inch Powerbook with ram upgrade. It's good to be an ADC member.
Being as I ordered a 17" myself, I've been keeping track of what people are saying about them. Here's what I've noticed:
  • If you've purchased a 17" powerbook (not so popular), the delay before shipping has been about seven days.
  • If you've purchased a 15" model (which is popular), shipping dates have flucctuated. Shipping times appear to have been extended in anticipation of high demand, but then the model comes in ahead of the extended deadline.
  • If you've ordered a BTO model, it's going to take a month. I guess first they have to build it, then they have to ship it, whereas the stock models are just sitting in boxes waiting to be shipped.

My 17" was completely stock. I haven't gotten so much as a whisper from Apple telling me that my shipping date has been delayed or shortened. Sounds like that was the case for travism's powerbook, too, despite the added RAM.

travism
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by faithfulanchor:
ADC = Developer?

and did you buy directly from apple or a reseller?
straight from the horse's mouth...er, I bought mine though the Developer store, which is straight though Apple.com. I'm pretty sure any Developer orders have top priority too.
UNIX guru

"I'd not even run X11 if not for the fact I like to browse webpages with color and images"

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 11:37 AM

I just ordered a 12" Powerbook Combo this morning! My first Mac since the iBook G3 500. *Tear drops*

Estimate shipping says, "On or Before 2/25."

Ouch!

ar1550
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2005, 12:57 PM

Argh. It shipped on Sunday...here it is on Wednesday morning and it's still "at local fedex facility" in Shanghai.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 02:25 PM

Ordered a 15" on Monday night.

1.67/SD/1GB/80HD/128VRAM shipping on or before 2/25/05

ncsurfer
Feb 16, 2005, 03:16 PM

Just got my 15" combo drive.........Fedex just dropped it off.
30gb iPod Photo

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 03:17 PM

Well, I'm not sure where mine is. Says is shipped 2 days ago, and depending on which status page I call up, it's either "at local Fedex facility" in Shanhai as on 2/15, or "Left FedEx ramp" on 2/16. Two slightly different URL's that I have bookmarked. Both pages say "Estimated Delivery 2/18 [by] 10:30am"

zubo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2005, 03:25 PM

Well, I'm not sure where mine is. Says is shipped 2 days ago, and depending on which status page I call up, it's either "at local Fedex facility" in Shanhai as on 2/15, or "Left FedEx ramp" on 2/16. Two slightly different URL's that I have bookmarked. Both pages say "Estimated Delivery 2/18 [by] 10:30am"

Exact same thing with me. I've been refreshing the tracking page all day.

syanover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2005, 03:37 PM

I've got the same status, although mine says: "Estimated delivery date Feb 18, 2005 by 12:00 pm

Has anyone got experience that these estimates are accurate? I'll have to get my wife to stay home Friday morning.

Hope I get it before the weekend as I'd hate to have to wait until Monday.

pumpkinapo
Feb 16, 2005, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by syanover:
I've got the same status, although mine says: "Estimated delivery date Feb 18, 2005 by 12:00 pm

Has anyone got experience that these estimates are accurate? I'll have to get my wife to stay home Friday morning.

Hope I get it before the weekend as I'd hate to have to wait until Monday.
Looks like I'm in the same boat as the rest of you.
Code:
Ship date Feb 15, 2005 Estimated delivery Feb 18, 2005 10:30 AM Feb 15, 2005 11:30 PM At local FedEx facility SHANGHAI CN 2:19 PM Picked up SHANGHAI CN Package received after FedEx cutoff 2:19 PM Left origin SHANGHAI CN 2:01 PM Package data transmitted to FedEx
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

faithfulanchor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2005, 04:51 PM

What I don't understand is how people are placing orders like today and yesterday and getting estimated ships of 2/25 and 2/24, when i order mine a week ago (exactly) and mine still says open, with an estimated ship of 2/28!!!!

WTF!!!! I WANT MY POWERBOOK!!!!!

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by pumpkinapo:
Looks like I'm in the same boat as the rest of you.
Code:
Ship date Feb 15, 2005 Estimated delivery Feb 18, 2005 10:30 AM Feb 15, 2005 11:30 PM At local FedEx facility SHANGHAI CN 2:19 PM Picked up SHANGHAI CN Package received after FedEx cutoff 2:19 PM Left origin SHANGHAI CN 2:01 PM Package data transmitted to FedEx
They must be shipping one big batch - the times on my tracking page are exactly the same!

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2005, 05:42 PM

Code:
Feb 16, 2005 9:55 pm Package status SHANGHAI CN Package in FedEx location 9:42 pm Arrived at FedEx Ramp SHANGHAI CN 12:08 pm Left FedEx Origin Location SHANGHAI CN 12:05 pm Pickup status SHANGHAI CN Package received after FedEx cutoff time
Yee haw! My 17" stock PB just shipped two days before its estimated ship date. Purchased 10 February 2005 early in the morning, and shipped on 16 Feb.

And now, my powerbook is sitting in the stack getting to know all of your other powerbooks. Damn year of the rat.

Mark

Forum Links
Forum Rules