Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > And now for something on the happy side..

And now for something on the happy side..
ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 14, 2006, 02:41 PM

Years ago my father wanted a computer, and since we had an HP ZT 1145 laptop laying around getting no love we sold it to him cheap. He spent years on that thing learning Windows as his first OS. Also for those years he had it I got at least a call each week asking how to do something, this and that, and some other stuff. We went through 2 complete re-installs of the OS due to spyware / malware / viruses taking the OS out, many driver reinstalls, manual software updates, then he freakin threw away the original OS discs by accident. Now we had a problem, I didn't own a copy of Windows XP that I could install on there, and all I had was Windows ME to put on there. We did that, and it kinda worked for the most part, a few "extra" functions with the laptop ceased to work anymore, but he could get his work done.

Well about a month or so ago the screen died. He called me of course and asked me what to do. I called HP and of course the repair was around $400-600. BS! No way was he going to pay that, and I don't blame him at all. So he asked me the hard question, what to replace it with. He knew I had switched to Macs after we sold him the laptop, and he knew that after years of using a mac I was still loving them. He said he wanted a mac!! Imagine having 1000 pounds suddenly lifted off of your shoulders all at once. OMG, dad is converting to macs and is finally hearing me. So I made a call to our local Apple store, told the manager there exactly what my dad needed, she prepared it all for him and waited for his arrival. All my dad had to do was walk in, ask for the manager, and give his name. Once she knew he was there all she said was.. Mr. Offord, we have your computer ready for you and all we need to do is complete the transaction. I love the Las Vegas apple store, because they show customers respect, and give people the service one expects from Apple. So we walked in, introduced himself, got the manager to welcome him, had his mac ready for him, he paid and left happy.

Can you believe after a month of using it he has only called me once to ask about an app? No more tech support calls to me, no more why doesn't this work kinda calls, no more pop-up hell calls, no more should I install what this website is asking me for calls. NOTHING. I called to check in on his mac adventure and all he said was.. I love this machine, it works, it looks great, and I can't believe I didn't use this from the start. He thanked me for switching 3+ years ago and was thankful he switched too.

Later I came to find out the inverter card from inside the HP was what died, replaced it for $30, had it completely working again, and traded it to a friend of mine for an Indigo Clamshell I use on a regular basis. So dad got a new Macbook, and I got a beautiful Clamshell, and life is good. Dad didn't even care that it was a $30 part, he never wants anything to do with a PC again. WOW HUH?!

Thought I would share my unique switched someone story, and bring a little happiness to this area of the forums for a moment.

Cheers.
( Last edited by ChasingApple; Oct 14, 2006 at 03:34 PM. )
iMac G4 / Macbook

clockworkwar
Oct 14, 2006, 02:58 PM

Wow great story! Kinda spells out how crap Windows can be to people!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 04:30 PM

Though this has nothing to do with MacBooks and is bound to get tookinated (possibly over to the Lounge), I figure I'll throw out a fun story too.

About two years ago, I was still a PC user. When I was getting ready to go away to college, I decided that I really needed a laptop. I went out and bought a lower-end Toshiba, thinking that it would easily suffice for my needs. And it did at first. That is, until half the components on the system started dying (USB, battery, wireless, etc). From there, I decided to make the plunge and buy my first Mac: a 12" iBook. My dying Toshiba went to my little sister for free, whose desktop had just fritzed out on her. This went along well for a while, until the MacBooks came out. I went ahead and upgraded to my second Mac in under a year. Meanwhile, my sister, who had previously sworn off anything Apple (including iTunes and Quicktime for Windows) became strangely drawn to my old iBook. Long story short, the old Toshiba has been donated to someone who desperately needed it, and my sister has been ecstatic with her nearly-new iBook, though she'll never admit that she somehow switched from Windows to Mac without realizing it.

Next on my list: my dad, a die-hard Mac hater since the 80s...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Oct 14, 2006, 05:21 PM

I have converted 5 people over to the mac platform now
iMac G4 / Macbook

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2006, 07:20 PM

The apple people here are awesome to

Forum Links
Forum Rules