Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Have bought 17", will answer questions.

Have bought 17", will answer questions.
Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 03:56 PM

I got it a while ago, and will answer any questions you still have when I get back to the forums, if they haven't been answered by others already.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

urrl5201
Mar 20, 2003, 04:05 PM

How is the fit and finish? Any damaged pixels? Hows the temp?
Congrats on your 17".

Tiauguinho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 04:23 PM

Congratulations OverAchiever!

I do have a question for you! I have currently a Powerbook G4 550Mhz with 768Mb of RAM and it can barely work with Flash properly. How does Flash work on yours? Any problem at all? How is the window placement on the 17'' screen? does it offer a lot of vertical space for the timeline, stage and property inspector?

Thanks in Advance

P.S. Greetings from Macrumors! heheheheh

Over Achiever  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 04:32 PM

Fit and finish: Very nice coming from a HP laptop.

Damaged pixels: None that I know of. And i'm not going to run a pixel check...I like being ignorant...I don't want to worry about such things.

Temp: I'm running a 100% CPU process (FAH) and so far the area under my left wrist is warm. Fan has yet to turn on or be heard.

Hi Tiauguinho!

Flash: I don't have flash, so I wouldn't be able to answer that question just yet. Sorry.

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 04:38 PM

Congrats Over !!

Still waiting patiently for mine to come across on the ferry. Hopefully it will be today but if not, it will be here first thing in the morning. How do you like the Mac OS as opposed to Windows so far?
"Hermann Goering would have been better than Rimmer. Okay, he was a drug-crazed transvestite
but at least we could have gone dancing" - David Lister 3rd Technician JMCS Red Dwarf

PowerBook G4 17"
ADS External FW HD Enclosure w/ a WD120Gb 7200 RPM Drive
30Gb iPod
Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

Over Achiever  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 04:46 PM

Mac OS X vs. Windows: I have some getting used it. Can't say for sure how I'll like OS X...it wasn't the primary reason I bought the pb. Only time will tell.

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Tiauguinho:
Congratulations OverAchiever!

I do have a question for you! I have currently a Powerbook G4 550Mhz with 768Mb of RAM and it can barely work with Flash properly. How does Flash work on yours? Any problem at all?
I think you need to look at your system. I have a TiBook 400, with half the RAM you do, and routinely have Flash MX, Photoshop 7, Safari, Dreamweaver and stuff like the terminal, Konfabulator, etc all running at once with no problems.

And I don't work with pansy little flash projects either, they are crammed to the gills with layers and bitmaps and audio.

Over Achiever  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 05:26 PM

Ok, some more stuff:

Fan is on for 30-60 seconds at a time (i'm running a 100% CPU process) at intervals of 5-10 minutes. Heat is not bad.

Some specs:
Powerbook5.1 (version = 3.3)
512 MB ram
MATSHITA UJ-815 firmware DWDB
TOSHIBA MK6021GAS 61 GB

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 05:56 PM

Here's a question I haven't heard answered yet. Did your 17" come with the new versions of iLife suite pre-installed? and did it come with full version Quick Books Pro installed? Thanks.

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2003, 06:34 PM

how about the burner speed? is it 16x instead of the spec'd 8x?
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

Over Achiever  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 10:04 PM

Sorry guys, I was watching LOTR: FOTR extended DVD (to calibrate my battery of course).

Ok...iLife. Lets see. iDVD 3.0, iTunes 3.0.1 (66), iPhoto 2.0, iMovie 3.0.1. I'm assuming that's iLife.

Burning speeds...yup 16x.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by Over Achiever:
Sorry guys, I was watching LOTR: FOTR extended DVD (to calibrate my battery of course).

Ok...iLife. Lets see. iDVD 3.0, iTunes 3.0.1 (66), iPhoto 2.0, iMovie 3.0.1. I'm assuming that's iLife.

Burning speeds...yup 16x.
16x That's good confirmed news! BTW iMovie is now 3.0.2..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Over Achiever:
I got it a while ago, and will answer any questions you still have when I get back to the forums, if they haven't been answered by others already.
a while ago eh? sure ya did. Surprised you didn't show your face till now. Most of us would be too excited to "wait" that long.
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2003, 12:04 AM

Well, 16x burning makes me very happy. I currently have an 8x burner on my shi!!y PC - it's actually an RW Combo drive.. i got it so i could burn CDs and watch DVDs... and it doesn't perform very well. wehether it is a hardware issue or a system issue.. but I'm egerly awaiting using the beautiful PB17 and all the glories within it, including the SuperDrive that can burn CDs at 16x - not 8x!!!!
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2003, 12:29 AM

nice to see the 16x burn confirmed. My PC burner is 32x on my home system and 24x on my Dell laptop. Going to 16x won't be a heartbreaker especially now that I can burn DVD's.

My 17" almost made it today. It sitting in the local fedex office here until tomorrow morning when it goes out on the first truck. "missed it by that much..." to quote Maxwell Smart.

Can't wait to get my hands on it tomorrow...

Cheers
"Hermann Goering would have been better than Rimmer. Okay, he was a drug-crazed transvestite
but at least we could have gone dancing" - David Lister 3rd Technician JMCS Red Dwarf

PowerBook G4 17"
ADS External FW HD Enclosure w/ a WD120Gb 7200 RPM Drive
30Gb iPod
Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

Mr Creosote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 07:20 AM

Hello. I was wondering what the speakers are like. On the Tibook I just got they are simply appalling, and while its not the most imprtant facet I would like to know how you fel they are in the 17inch, especially compared to the Tibook.

Thank you!

robrandtoul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 09:10 AM

I live in the UK but was lucky enough to walk into the Pasadena Apple Store and buy one during a business trip yesterday.

The fit and finish is superb. An improvement on my TiBook which tended to creak a little if you picked it up by one corner. The 17" is VERY rigid. No creaking. No flexing.

The speakers are an improvement on my 1Ghz Tibook. They are by no means 'hi-fi' but are more than adequate for my purposes. I would still recommend investing in a good pair of headphones though.

The keyboard is an improvement on the TiBook. The keys travel a lot further and have a great finish. If I had one complaint it would be the smaller 'enter' key. I keep missing it but I am sure I will adjust to it over the next week or so. The backlighted keyboard is cool although I was expecting it to be blue. It is white.

The screen is SWEET. I have heard people complain about the resolution but I think it is just about right. Really bright too. Brighter than my TiBook and not far off my girlfriends flat panel imac.

i have not really had too many issues with heat. When using CPU hungry apps the left hand palm rest 'warms' up a little but nowhere near as hot as my friends 12' and it certainly isn't uncomfortable. The fan rarely comes on. It seems to be a completely different sort of fan to the TiBooks. They had dual speed fans. The 17 fan seems to have about 7 or 8 speeds. It goes up and down through the speeds as it needs to but I have yet to experience the fan being on for more than 2 minutes at a time. It is a quieter fan than the Tibook.

The harddrive is virtually silent.

Bluetooth range is greater than I was expecting. My PB can see my t68 phone from about 20m range. (havent measured. Just guessing the distance visually)

Battery life not quite as good as my TiBook. Getting about 3-3 1/2 hours surfing and emailing with the screen dimmed 3 notches from max.

Trackpad is taking some getting used to. It feels different to my TiBook. more textured. Nice and big though. No sharp edges around it like on the 12" i have seen.

Graphics card seems to be comparable to my Tibook with ATI9000. I am seeing about 105fps when running Marine Aquarium screensaver at maximum res and color depth. Not to shabby! RTCW seems to run just as well as it did on my Ti. I dont know how to display the fps in RTCW (anyone know how?). But I can't spot any difference. Very little slowdown.

Hope this helps people still waiting for those.

http://www.plasmadesign.co.uk

Over Achiever  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2003, 09:56 AM

A while ago: By a while ago I meant a couple of hours ago. I was simply playing with the pb a bit before I posted on the forums.

Speakers: I don't have the GHz ti so I can't really compare. I must say that the sound when turned all the way up, isn't that bad.

Keyboard: I love the feel of this keyboard...has decent recoil action. The big trackpand still annoys me...but I can live with it.

Thanks robrandtoul for giving more details than I have...I've been too busy figuring out the pb and the OS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules