Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 8A268 In The Wild

8A268 In The Wild (Page 4)
iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2004, 04:45 PM

I've noticed some new neat stuff in the new Tiger build:
  • Your short username can now be uppercase.
  • You can now sort by different things on the Finder desktop (see screenshots).
  • Xcode 2 has 3 layouts, one is the usual Xcode 1.2 version, one is similar to Project Builder, and one is minimalist.

I've got a few screenshots, linked below:

1: The new open panel, seems screwed up in Carbon applications.
2: Revised Finder preview.
3: Values you can sort by in your desktop.
4: New feature in TextEdit, can give the document keywords etc.
5: New TextEdit preferences.
6: You can color new articles now.
7: You can now mail a link from Safari.
8: Help UI now has the all in one look.
9: New Xcode all in one look.
10: New printing panel.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by An Alias:
Sure, only thing is, I haven't got any webspace to put it up on. Can I email you it so you can have a look?
Sure, E-mail me, and I'll put it up. lookmark at gmail.com.
( Last edited by lookmark; Nov 2, 2004 at 05:21 PM. )

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 05:38 PM

I've heard Safari renders significantly faster in these newer Tiger builds...can anybody comment on how Safari performs when opening multiple tabs simultaneously compared to Panther?

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2004, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
I've heard Safari renders significantly faster in these newer Tiger builds...can anybody comment on how Safari performs when opening multiple tabs simultaneously compared to Panther?
It did seem a bit more speedy, but that just might be the fresh install. Loading pages that are heavy on Javascript load muchhhh faster too.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 06:30 PM

In the WWDC build it was really really fast. Haven't gotten around to trying it on newer ones.

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 06:37 PM

I hope it can handle loading other tabs without freezing up the entire window in which the tabs are contained... Explorer would never pause as significantly as Safari does... If I had a lot of windows open, it would let me still cycle through them as it loaded... Safari, multiple windows and/or tabs (ESPECIALLY) it beachballs until it's done...

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by THE MAC GOD:
I hope it can handle loading other tabs without freezing up the entire window in which the tabs are contained... Explorer would never pause as significantly as Safari does... If I had a lot of windows open, it would let me still cycle through them as it loaded... Safari, multiple windows and/or tabs (ESPECIALLY) it beachballs until it's done...
I agree, I hope that is a little better in Tiger. Thanks to the others who chimed in on the progress in the latest builds, I appreciate it!

An Alias
Forum Regular
Location: NOT in The People's Theocratic Republic of Homophobia
Nov 2, 2004, 08:07 PM

lookmark - I fired off an email to you.

Some other things of note with this build. The set-up screens now have a license agreement, which details Apple's privacy clause, and which you agree to, or not. Also, just before you log in, there's now a screen asking about workgroup functionality, looks interesting.
Who, or what actually won the US election? Intolerance. The Bush campaign was built around pushing God down people's throats; attacking Gays; and more Guns for the idiotic. Gays, Guns & God. Congratulations, you just participated in one big joke.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 12:27 AM

Here's Alias's screenshots of the 8A294 Tiger menu bar. Looks nice.

Apple in menu bar

Spotlight in menu bar, active

Spotlight in menu bar, inactive
( Last edited by lookmark; Nov 3, 2004 at 12:34 AM. )

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 01:00 AM

Very cool

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by lookmark:

Apple in menu bar

I like!!!!!!!!

Much better than previous builds.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 01:10 AM

The gray Apple/Spotlight "boxes" look better than the aqua, IMO.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 01:54 AM

it is interesting how the highlighting on the spotlight/apple menu is going around the curves of the icons

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 3, 2004, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
True..

So has anyone with this build have anything to say about using the new iChat with other networks?
Yeah, I was able to successfully get MSN working on iChat through Jabber. Really nice. I probably will switch to iChat from Adium simply because Adium never works where it counts, i.e. File Transfers, etc...

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2004, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by Fusion:
Yeah, I was able to successfully get MSN working on iChat through Jabber. Really nice. I probably will switch to iChat from Adium simply because Adium never works where it counts, i.e. File Transfers, etc...
iChat won't through Jabber either. File transfers through gateways isn't supported.

An Alias
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 04:08 AM

Thanks again, lookmark. The actual animation of the spotlight icon is pretty nice.
Who, or what actually won the US election? Intolerance. The Bush campaign was built around pushing God down people's throats; attacking Gays; and more Guns for the idiotic. Gays, Guns & God. Congratulations, you just participated in one big joke.

RonnieoftheRose
Nov 3, 2004, 04:11 AM

I installed the latest seed on a Power Mac G5. It is extremely polished. Almost release quality apart from a few app prefs which I couldn't click on. The graphite menu bar is better but the pulsating Spotlight icon is annoying. That has to be fixed.

Another thing I'm noticing is how minimalized Tiger is. We're going back to the days of OS9 when the operating system looked minimal, easy to configure and easy to use. It's a simpler interface than Tiger because panes have been merged.

Question. The first developer's seed would not install on PowerBooks. Has anybody tried to get the latest seed to install on a PowerBook?

wjpjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2004, 06:22 AM

Question. The first developer's seed would not install on PowerBooks. Has anybody tried to get the latest seed to install on a PowerBook? [/B]
Yep. Posting from my TiBook 1GHz. Works great! I don't find the pulsing spotlight icon bothersome. Maybe since nornally one doesn't just sit and stare at the menu - especially the far right. Just my $0.02.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 06:25 AM

Yeah, I was able to successfully get MSN working on iChat through Jabber.
How do you do that????
Jabber.com is no help.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 07:47 AM

One bad/sour note on the basis of the Safari preferences screenshot - Apple are persisting in "hiding" your preferred application settings for default browser and now RSS reader within Safari (presumably this is also still true for Mail and your choice of mail application). These options should not be in those apps, full stop. They should be in your System Preferences.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
One bad/sour note on the basis of the Safari preferences screenshot - Apple are persisting in "hiding" your preferred application settings for default browser and now RSS reader within Safari (presumably this is also still true for Mail and your choice of mail application). These options should not be in those apps, full stop. They should be in your System Preferences.
Although I use Safari and Mail, I totally agree... it is just stupid.

An Alias
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:

Question. The first developer's seed would not install on PowerBooks. Has anybody tried to get the latest seed to install on a PowerBook?
Yup, installed it on a Pismo, went fine too.

Macanoid
Senior User
Nov 3, 2004, 08:57 AM

These options should not be in those apps, full stop. They should be in your System Preferences.
I totally agree with this. Apple makes things unnecessary (read: MS-like) complex here.

Which regards to the latest builds, how are things speed-wise compared to Panther?

jocker
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 09:12 AM

Speed wise - here goes.

I am using the first (Rev A) 17" powerbook, which apparently doesn't support Core Image. Furthermore, Quartz Debug won't let me turn on Quartz 2D Extreme (it says my hardware isn't supported). I hope everyone here knows how much Quartz 2D Extreme is going to speed up their systems!!!! We'll be using GPU as a co-processor for the whole interface. I watched a WWDC session on this it was awesome.

Anyway.... back to it. Despite my hardware not supporting Core Image or 2D Extreme, here's an example: window resizing is much faster than Panther. Much faster. Finder windows, Safari windows etc.

The GUI seems a lot more responsive, and I haven't even got Core Image or Quartz 2D Extreme...

This is shaping up to be an awesome release. I initially wanted it out the door asap, but now I'm not so fussed, because they're doing a DAMN fine job under the hood.
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 09:16 AM

I installed it on my tiBook 400. Albeit it was an external FW drive I installed it on. I am sure someone will be asking that question as well.

It would not install on my dual867, for whatever reason. It would hang at the second screen just after accepting the license or whatever. I know the DVD is good, as I used it to install on my cube and PB. I also did an MD5 checksum running on the dual867 to ensure it wasn't a drive problem.

Anyone else notice .dmg files were not functional?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 3, 2004, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Macanoid:
I totally agree with this. Apple makes things unnecessary (read: MS-like) complex here.

Which regards to the latest builds, how are things speed-wise compared to Panther?
While I agree it's not the best solution, I don't think shoving them into System Preferences is a good idea either. What do you guys want? A pane full of "What do you want your default whatever to be?" The pane would have waaaay too cluttered.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
I installed it on my tiBook 400. Albeit it was an external FW drive I installed it on. I am sure someone will be asking that question as well.

It would not install on my dual867, for whatever reason. It would hang at the second screen just after accepting the license or whatever. I know the DVD is good, as I used it to install on my cube and PB. I also did an MD5 checksum running on the dual867 to ensure it wasn't a drive problem.

Anyone else notice .dmg files were not functional?
I'm just curious, what the speed like on the PowerBook? ... mine is a 1Ghz TiBook model (yeah, faster) but with no new (much faster) PowerBooks on the horizon I'd be very much interested to know if we'll really need new hardware when Tiger hits the streets.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 10:27 AM

Speed is comparable to Panther in most areas. Some suggested windows resizing was better, but I don't see it. It may have to do with the hardware. Mail seems to be threaded better.

But the answer to your question is NO, you won't have to buy new hardware. In fact, I think you will see a speed increase with existing hardware.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 3, 2004, 10:27 AM

Questions:

1) Does the new DVD Player de-interlace?
2) Does the new DVD Player support DVD-VR? Does Tiger support UDF 2?
3) Has the speed of thumbnail generation in the Finder better? It's painfully slow in Panther.
4) Is Disk Utility more user friendly? Is there a disk copy feature?
5) Does the amount of space free get updated automatically on the desktop drive icons?

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
A pane full of "What do you want your default whatever to be?" The pane would have waaaay too cluttered.
2 things:

(1) - it wouldn't necessarily have to be default whatever - email and browser were fine (and it made sense when they were together in an internet pane).

(2) - if you *did* want to make it be default anything (not a bad idea - how many times have people posted asking how to change their default .jpg or .pdf opener???) it wouldn't have to be clunck - just something that connected file extensions or types to an application in one central location... (I think there's even a shareware control pane that implements this sort of thing already)
cpac

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Questions:
5) Does the amount of space free get updated automatically on the desktop drive icons?
No it doesn't. It didn't update until I quit the Finder and relaunched it.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
While I agree it's not the best solution, I don't think shoving them into System Preferences is a good idea either. What do you guys want? A pane full of "What do you want your default whatever to be?" The pane would have waaaay too cluttered.
Nobody had a single problem with it when the situation was precisely that way in 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2 with the Internet preferences, but many, many people have had to ask how to switch their default browser/mail client since 10.3. To my mind the only reason Apple changed it in 10.3 was an anti-competitive one - they wanted to make it as difficult as possible for people to use something other than Mail and Safari.

jocker
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 11:04 AM

Speed is comparable to Panther in most areas. Some suggested windows resizing was better, but I don't see it. It may have to do with the hardware. Mail seems to be threaded better.

But the answer to your question is NO, you won't have to buy new hardware. In fact, I think you will see a speed increase with existing hardware.
Window resizing is better - guess it depends on hardware. Just got panther on one machine and tiger on the other, and window resizing is an order of magnitude faster - i.e. not 10% but perhaps 500%.

Thats my setup. Yours may differ.
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 11:25 AM

(this is about connecting to MSN through Jabber)

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
How do you do that????
Jabber.com is no help.
This is a server function. If your Jabber server has protocol bridges to other networks the server can be your client-by-proxie on that network and you just see chatting with those people as if they were Jabber users also.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 3, 2004, 01:14 PM

Nobody had a single problem with it when the situation was precisely that way in 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2 with the Internet preferences, but many, many people have had to ask how to switch their default browser/mail client since 10.3. To my mind the only reason Apple changed it in 10.3 was an anti-competitive one - they wanted to make it as difficult as possible for people to use something other than Mail and Safari.
Perhaps. Maybe they're afraid that if someone is using some other browser or mail client, they'll never give future versions of Mail and Safari a try.

Shouldn't be a problem though, most browsers and mail client actually ask whether or not you want it to be the default.

dopik
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by jocker:
Speed wise - here goes.

I am using the first (Rev A) 17" powerbook, which apparently doesn't support Core Image. Furthermore, Quartz Debug won't let me turn on Quartz 2D Extreme (it says my hardware isn't supported). I hope everyone here knows how much Quartz 2D Extreme is going to speed up their systems!!!! We'll be using GPU as a co-processor for the whole interface. I watched a WWDC session on this it was awesome.

Anyway.... back to it. Despite my hardware not supporting Core Image or 2D Extreme, here's an example: window resizing is much faster than Panther. Much faster. Finder windows, Safari windows etc.

The GUI seems a lot more responsive, and I haven't even got Core Image or Quartz 2D Extreme...

This is shaping up to be an awesome release. I initially wanted it out the door asap, but now I'm not so fussed, because they're doing a DAMN fine job under the hood.
I would like to know whether my PowerBook 12" Rev. A is supported?

Thanks

Do
I am a Compulsive Software Update Button Clicker

SoClose
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 01:32 PM

If someone out there running Tiger on a PowerBook could comment on the following question, I'd appreciate it. After reading Apple's developer article on Spotlight, I'm curious as to what effect this has on a PowerBook's battery life. If everytime a file is created, moved, etc., the Spotlight database has to be updated, will the constant disk activity lower battery life (realizing that the disk is spinning anyway for file-related actions). In addition, if the Spotlight Server is effectively on a continous crawl for new content on the hard disk, when will the hard disk ever get a chance to sleep? Hopefully Apple will make Spotlight smart enough to respect power management settings.

So, can anyone out there running Tiger on a PowerBook comment on battery life?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 02:08 PM

The graphite menu bar is better but the pulsating Spotlight icon is annoying. That has to be fixed.
I think it only pulsates while the database is indexing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

RonnieoftheRose
Nov 3, 2004, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
I think it only pulsates while the database is indexing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm posting from Tiger now. I've been logied in for an hour and it hasn't stopped pulsing.

I've installed Tiger on a firewire drive to test on my PowerBook. It is very fast but then the FW drive is faster than my internal. Certain things are very smooth such as VLC, DVD Player and Quicktime. There's a little polishing up to do. A few apps crash here and there and there's also some beach balling. When the Finder beachballs it last a long time.

Also, I'm getting bad text lag as I'm typing at this moment.

What happened to Finder live-zoomrects? Not implemented yet.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 02:35 PM

I'm posting from Tiger now. I've been logied in for an hour and it hasn't stopped pulsing.
Spotlight takes at least several hours the first time it indexes and creates its database.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by SoClose:
If someone out there running Tiger on a PowerBook could comment on the following question, I'd appreciate it. After reading Apple's developer article on Spotlight, I'm curious as to what effect this has on a PowerBook's battery life. If everytime a file is created, moved, etc., the Spotlight database has to be updated, will the constant disk activity lower battery life (realizing that the disk is spinning anyway for file-related actions). In addition, if the Spotlight Server is effectively on a continous crawl for new content on the hard disk, when will the hard disk ever get a chance to sleep?
All your points would seem to apply with equal force to questions about creating a file, saving a file, etc. If I save a new file, the hard drive has to spin up anyway - I doubt that indexing a single new file will take all that much hard drive spinning over what saving it required. Same goes for downloading files....

I haven't read the full developer note, so maybe I'm missing something, but it would seem that Spotlight would only have to update itself when you're doing something that gets written to disk anyway, in which case the impact on battery life would seem to be negligible....
cpac

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 3, 2004, 03:02 PM

Damn! That is cool.

I wonder if you can install it on Panther...

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 03:06 PM

Does anyone know about the Syndication Agent? It runs quite a lot and creates many log entries. It doesn't seem to be all that NICE, as in giving back cpu% when needed by other processes.

2004-11-03 14:05:14.761 SyndicationAgent[618] WARNING: BestCalendarDateFromString - can't interpret: 'Wed Nov 03 10:58:00 PST 2004'

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 03:32 PM

Apple in menu bar

They are graphite even with the Blue theme?
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 03:37 PM

I can confirm that the Spotlight icon only pulses when it's indexing. Check Activity Viewer and you'll notice several mdimport threads. This may take several hours, as it indexes all local drives.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 04:03 PM

WWDC build installed fine on my AlBook of the offical DVD. I think it was just a problem with some TiBooks.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

richardb
Nov 3, 2004, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by Thinine:
I can confirm that the Spotlight icon only pulses when it's indexing. Check Activity Viewer and you'll notice several mdimport threads. This may take several hours, as it indexes all local drives.
Somebody post this in Quicktime please!
Powerbook G4 1.2 Ghz, 1 Gb.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by An Alias:
What kinda annoys me about the latest ADC release, is that the spotlight icon keeps pulsating, on and on and on...

Distracting at first, but I guess I'm sort of not paying much attention to it as the day goes on, but not sure how others would feel.
That's because it's indexing the HD. It takes a few hours, at first, to build the database (it does it in the background).

Hold the mouse over the icon, but don't click, and you'll see the status.

Once the indexing stops, the pulsing stops.

An Alias
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
That's because it's indexing the HD. It takes a few hours, at first, to build the database (it does it in the background).

Hold the mouse over the icon, but don't click, and you'll see the status.

Once the indexing stops, the pulsing stops.
Yeah, I noticed that later on, strange thing is, it got to about 60%, I rebooted the machine, them it went back to zero. I'm sure that it won;t need to re-index the entore system after each reboot.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 07:22 PM

Speed is comparable to Panther in most areas. Some suggested windows resizing was better, but I don't see it.
I do, on my iMac 700 640 Meg Finder resizing is way faster, way more responsive in all window views.

A massive noticeable improvement over Panther.

Forum Links
Forum Rules