Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > F/A-18 Hornet OIF - same missions as original?

F/A-18 Hornet OIF - same missions as original?
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 11:48 AM

I'm looking into Graphsim's new Hornet offering because I've been itching to get back into flight sims, and I'm very familiar with the Hornet series (meaning less time required to learn how to fly the thing). I had the original game back in the day, as well as the Version 2 upgrade with the Korean Crisis expansion pack, and then later Hornet 3.0. I didn't play the "Korea Gold" version.

My only hesitation concerns mission set included with the game. By my count, this is the FOURTH release of F/A-18 Hornet set in the Persian Gulf theater. Even though the feature set and graphics have been progressively updated with each version, the Gulf theater mission set AFAIK has stayed pretty much exactly the same (meaning I got bored with Hornet 3.0 pretty quickly). I don't think I could bring myself to buy Hornet OIF if Graphsim just used the same missions all over again. I've looked around at some reviews of the game (of which there are surprisingly few), and none of them bring this up.

So, can anyone with the game clue me in? Are they the same old missions or not?

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the rant).

benb
Jan 20, 2005, 10:44 PM

I don't know for certain, but given that the missions have not changed in the past, I would guess no. Graphsim has really milked the Hornet series. All the Gulf ones I have played (1-3) were the same mission set and Korea (the expansion and the standalone) were the same as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules