Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > fact checking pulse

fact checking pulse
iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2008, 02:27 PM

Lots more spin from the Right this time.

http://www.factcheck.org/

GOP Convention Spin, Part II
September 4, 2008
Palin trips up on her facts, and Giuliani and Huckabee have their own stumbles on Night 3 of the Republican confab.

Maverick Misleads
September 4, 2008
A McCain ad comparing Palin to Obama isn't all above board.

GOP Convention Spin
September 3, 2008
Lieberman and Thompson make misleading claims about Obama on Day Two of the party in St. Paul.

Hit the Brakes
September 3, 2008
An Obama ad running in Michigan claims McCain didn't support loan guarantees for the auto industry. In fact, he does support them.

A New Stitch in a Bad Pattern
September 2, 2008
A McCain ad wrongly claims Obama plans "painful tax increases" for working families. And who's talking about deficits?

FactChecking Obama
August 29, 2008
He stuck to the facts, except when he stretched them.

Context Included: Obama on Iran
August 27, 2008
McCain ad cherry-picks Obama remarks on Iran, twisting his meaning.

Obama and 'Infanticide'
August 25, 2008
The facts about Obama's votes against 'Born Alive' bills in Illinois.

Rezko Reality
August 22, 2008
McCain misfires as he attacks Obama's home purchase.

Reed Reality
August 22, 2008
Key facts are missing in an Obama ad linking McCain to Ralph Reed.

Born in the U.S.A.
August 21, 2008
The truth about Obama's birth certificate.

Distorting McCain's Remarks
August 19, 2008
An Obama ad uses dated and out of context quotes to portray McCain as clueless on the economy.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 02:32 PM

Hmmm, who's doing the spinning now? You listed the items on that page that show where McCain was un-truthful in the claims he made about Obama without also listing the items that show where Obama was un-truthful in the claims he made about McCain.

You lose!

The beauty of the fact check site is they try as much as possible to be objective and simply point out differences or discrepancies where they arise. Going to them to find statements about the candidate you support is no good as they are likely to have just as many statements made by the candidate you oppose.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 03:03 PM

Explain to me again how it is that Obama was able to afford that piece of property...he couldn't afford before Rezko bought it?

Is it the norm for illegal influence peddlers to take money out of their own pockets to gift a politician with something he otherwise couldn't afford, and it not be seen as a severe ethical lapse?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Hmmm, who's doing the spinning now? You listed the items on that page that show where McCain was un-truthful in the claims he made about Obama without also listing the items that show where Obama was un-truthful in the claims he made about McCain.
Did you try reading the list before posting a response?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Is it the norm for illegal influence peddlers to take money out of their own pockets to gift a politician with something he otherwise couldn't afford, and it not be seen as a severe ethical lapse?
It's called Lobbying. All sides do it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 03:05 PM

You lose!
Heh. Classic.

Distorting McCain's Remarks
August 19, 2008
An Obama ad uses dated and out of context quotes to portray McCain as clueless on the economy.

Etc.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Did you try reading the list before posting a response?
You're right. I didn't read the whole list. I only read the comment line and the first 4 or 5 entries in the list and assumed the OP was saying the site was pro-McCain. I was wrong in my response to iomatic.

Sorry, iomatic. I shouldn't have been so critical of your post.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Sep 5, 2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Added apology.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2008, 04:12 PM

You're right. I didn't read the whole list. I only read the comment line and the first 4 or 5 entries in the list and assumed the OP was saying the site was pro-McCain. I was wrong in my response to iomatic.

Sorry, iomatic. I shouldn't have been so critical of your post.
Thanks for reading. It was just a snapshot of today's list, but it's hardly conclulsive.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 04:32 PM

So, they're all lying and slinging sh*t like chimps at the zoo. Sounds like an election year to me.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
So, they're all lying and slinging sh*t like chimps at the zoo. Sounds like an election year to me.
See, that's why I stand on the side. Doesn't smell so much.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2008, 05:08 PM

See, that's why I stand on the side. Doesn't smell so much.
Makes you wish you just take a ship out into the black and sail around, slipping the grip of authority and going your own way long as you can...eh?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Makes you wish you just take a ship out into the black and sail around, slipping the grip of authority and going your own way long as you can...eh?
No place I could be since I found serenity.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2008, 05:17 PM

No place I could be since I found serenity.
Brother, I can't wait for the Blu-Ray.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 05:27 PM

Brother, I can't wait for the Blu-Ray.
I'm excited about the prospects of an HD Firefly & Serenity, but not on Blu-Ray. Too expensive.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 06:24 PM

I already have Serenity on HD DVD. I think I paid $12.99 for it.

Serenity Now!

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 09:28 PM

It's called Lobbying. All sides do it.
Yes, all sides engage in corruption, I don't deny that. Some though have to pay for it by going to jail. Others who know the right folks get the Democratic nomination for President.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Yes, all sides engage in corruption, I don't deny that. Some though have to pay for it by going to jail. Others who know the right folks get the Democratic nomination for President.
While you're certainly right that we should not countenance corruption, this claim against Obama doesn't seem to have merit.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 12:25 AM

While you're certainly right that we should not countenance corruption, this claim against Obama doesn't seem to have merit.
Then surely you can answer my question:

Explain to me again how it is that Obama was able to afford that piece of property...he couldn't afford before Rezko bought it?

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2008, 02:29 AM

^oh ffs. clear the trooper-gate, expound on how the relevance of Palin's daughter's hypocrisy weighs naught, detail the factual claims in her speeches, provide us the play-by-play of experienced accomplishments in government that favor your suggested VP, and we won't vote for Obama.

Do that clearly, and you have my vote.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
^oh ffs. clear the trooper-gate, expound on how the relevance of Palin's daughter's hypocrisy weighs naught, detail the factual claims in her speeches, provide us the play-by-play of experienced accomplishments in government that favor your suggested VP, and we won't vote for Obama.

Do that clearly, and you have my vote.
Huh? The above does not compute. How was Palin's daughter hypocritical? Then, how would one measure it to weigh it naught? Obama asking you to lay off her personal life not enough? With all due respect, the above looks like an in-cohesive, sloppily compiled collage of talking points and bumper-stickers.

"Clear the trooper gate". Is this a reference to the investigation of Spitzer? Polls showed that the majority of New Yorkers wanted Governor Spitzer to testify under oath and tell what he knew about the scandal. If not Spitzer himself, who would be bent on clearing him and how is that relevant? Unless you're talking about the investigation of Palin. If we're going with "guilty 'til proven innocent", Biden's brother and son are in heap-big trouble.

Palin's accomplishments have been given in great detail. The problem is they measure up to Obama's a little too tightly for the comfort of many here. They've also involved challenging Obama's credentials and past. What happens is; "we could go tit for tat all day" and "I'm not interested in these details" and "I don't have time to address the litany of issues you've listed here" etc...

By proving why the bottom of the Republican ticket is qualified for Vice Presidency, you'll relinquish your vote for the top of the Democratic ticket for President? Interesting.
ebuddy

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2008, 03:55 PM

All I have from you are sweeping statements.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
All I have from you are sweeping statements.
You get out what you put in.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules