Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > my nano keeps resetting?

my nano keeps resetting?
zl9600
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2006, 06:11 PM

i have a 4g nano, and for a couple of days now, nearly every time i hit buttons on the scroll wheel, it resets itself (screen goes blank, apple logo appears, then i get back to the main screen). i've tried doing a hard reset, but that doesn't seem to help.

anyone else having this issue?
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

volcano
Senior User
Jan 7, 2006, 01:25 AM

Are you charging it properly and fully? The only time my iPod ever did that is when the battery was completely drained and I still attempted to turn it on and keep it playing. Try charging it (either through USB/Firewire cable) through your computer or with a wall adapter for an hour or two and see if that helps. You also might want to try a hard-reset:

1. Connect the iPod to your computer via USB
2. Reset the iPod by pressing the Play and Menu buttons for a few seconds.
3. When you see the Apple logo, press and hold the Previous and Next buttons for roughly 10 seconds.

zl9600  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2006, 02:44 AM

thanks volcano. i tried the hard reset (i think you meant the center circle and menu?, it doesn't work doing the play and menu key) a few times. but i still get a reset with nearly every button i press. it's maddening. the only thing i can do if i can get it to shuffle songs is that i can get it to forward and pause and play fine. but getting it to there takes some luck. i have a feeling it's an input issue somewhere.

i'll call apple tomorrow and see if they'll let me send it back even though i've used up my one phone support call (lame!)
missing.

volcano
Senior User
Jan 7, 2006, 03:33 AM

Yes, that's what I meant - whoops!

Good luck, nonetheless.

zl9600  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2006, 01:50 PM

i think i fixed it. at least it has stopped doing the constant reset with every click of the wheel. the one step i did not do is to do a complete restore of the software via ipod updater.

that seemed to do the trick, and made sense it would be a software blip since i treat this thing like a tube of uranium, at least in the 45 days i've owned it.

thanks for the help; hopefully this will be helpful for someone else.
missing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules